IGNORED

Bobby Reid - Gone to Fulham on Loan

Phileas Fogg

Just now, Bristolboy_06 said:

The one position we NEED out of every single position on that pitch and we can’t fill it? Unsuccessful.

No the one position at of all that needed strengthening was strengthened 

that was centre midfield, it’s where the modern game is won and lost

its where we lost the game Sunday and where Leeds won it

The one position we NEED out of every single position on that pitch and we can’t fill it? Unsuccessful.

So who would you say we should have got ?

Its obviously easy.

Especially being a big draw in the championship.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its obviously easy.

Where have i said it’s easy? It must be incredibly hard but that doesn’t take away from the fact that we are in desperate need of a striker and fammy up top on his own isn’t going to cut it.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its obviously easy.

Should have had a couple to chase after, TWO bloody years and they cant get it right! But it seems they were counting on one player, Still 3 hours of fun to go.

1 minute ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

Where have i said it’s easy? It must be incredibly hard but that doesn’t take away from the fact that we are in desperate need of a striker and fammy up top on his own isn’t going to cut it.

But your making out that the club hasn’t bothered trying

I think every man and his dog knows that.

But getting in someone worthwhile at the right price, fits in with the club, and available on the right contract is key. If that can't be achieved for whatever reason then leave it.

So, as I asked - who would you go out and get ?

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

But your making out that the club hasn’t bothered trying

Honestly i’m not , the point i’m making out is that if we don’t get a striker in, then that’s incredibly disappointing and all these quality players we’ve brought in can’t be used to their full potential because we don’t have an out and out goal scorer to put the ball in the back of the net.

I applaud city for their signings so far but the most important position for us hasn’t been fulfilled imo and that lets down all the great work we’ve put in for these other signings. 

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Baker is still here perfectly capable 

Moore is still here perfectly capable

wright is still here more then capable

Exactly. I wish everyone would shut up about replacing Webster we have three CBS that woul get in to most teams in this division. We needed a Nagy definitely. A forward would be nice but if it’s Semenyo then he gets his chance. So be it!

6 minutes ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

Honestly i’m not , the point i’m making out is that if we don’t get a striker in, then that’s incredibly disappointing and all these quality players we’ve brought in can’t be used to their full potential because we don’t have an out and out goal scorer to put the ball in the back of the net.

I applaud city for their signings so far but the most important position for us hasn’t been fulfilled imo and that lets down all the great work we’ve put in for these other signings. 

Of course they can,

as it stands we are a hell of a lot stronger the. We were last season,

our season fell apart because our midfield stopped doing any defensive work,

cardiff got promoted without a 20 goal a season striker 2 years ago as did huddlesfield 3 years ago

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. I wish everyone would shut up about replacing Webster we have three CBS that woul get in to most teams in this division. We needed a Nagy definitely. A forward would be nice but if it’s Semenyo then he gets his chance. So be it!

I disagree.  We had these 3 CBs  on the books but still signed Webster.  Our system works best with a tried and tested ball playing centre back on the pitch.  Looking at the 3 we have only one has the potential to be this type of player.  Besides, Baker is probably too injury prone, BW is a very reliable, competent squad member but no more and TM is untested at this level.  Massive gamble not to replace Webster.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Of course they can,

as it stands we are a hell of a lot stronger the. We were last season,

our season fell apart because our midfield stopped doing any defensive work,

cardiff got promoted without a 20 goal a season striker 2 years ago as did huddlesfield 3 years ago

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think every man and his dog knows that.

But getting in someone worthwhile at the right price, fits in with the club, and available on the right contract is key. If that can't be achieved for whatever reason then leave it.

So, as I asked - who would you go out and get ?

So you would be happy to pay all your money for a season ticket (if you have one), sit in the rain and cold all season long to watch us pump balls up to fam like a sunday league team like we did on sunday?

I’ve never knocked fam as an individual, he’s one of the hardest working players in that team but he just hasn’t got that strikers finish.

But since you asked, there’s a few who could really compliment fam as a finisher.

Jordan Rhodes - ‘Proven’ at this level in the past 

Assombalonga - Expensive but is a finisher and one of the best strikers in the championship and we have the money for his wages after Webster sale

Yakou Meite - Young and can also score goals at the level.

3 different type of players at different prices but all finishers.

Assume you are happy with Fammy and Matty Taylor up top all season then? No ambition if so.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As a last resort I guess LJ will just phone his mate Pep to loan in one of their top young striker prospects!

In all fairness Guardiola was very complementary about us, if the right player was available I'm sure he wouldn't object. Although I couldn't name one striker in their academy or on the verge of their first team. 

1 minute ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

So you would be happy to pay all your money for a season ticket (if you have one), sit in the rain and cold all season long to watch us pump balls up to fam like a sunday league team like we did on sunday?

I’ve never knocked fam as an individual, he’s one of the hardest working players in that team but he just hasn’t got that strikers finish.

But since you asked, there’s a few who could really compliment fam as a finisher.

Jordan Rhodes - ‘Proven’ at this level in the past 

Assombalonga - Expensive but is a finisher and one of the best strikers in the championship and we have the money for his wages after Webster sale

Yakou Meite - Young and can also score goals at the level.

3 different type of players at different prices but all finishers.

Assume you are happy with Fammy and Matty Taylor up top all season then? No ambition if so.

A lot of assumptions and all predictably wrong.

And, as I said, it has to be someone worthwhile at the right price, fits in with the club, and available on the right contract

If those you mention fall into the above category then I would be 100% confident that the club would have looked to bring them in.

51 minutes ago, Make a Sub said:

Enjoy the vast amounts of goals at Ashton gate this season ? 

Other players are allowed to score, it's not netball! We could have Ronaldo up front but with the creation of our midfield he wouldn't be our "20 goal a season" man!

it's a good point which Monkeh makes.

At the start of last season with the same strike force as today, I was very optimistic that we could get somewhere even having lost Reid, Flint & Bryan.My big gripe was why oh why can't we just for once ( since Hartley/Tinnion) just get a decent mid field??? 

We now have SO many options there and most look quality.

So I'm more optimistic this season because we have an extra striker as well as Weimann, Fammy, & Taylor in Semenyo as an option from the bench, a potentially good solid defence, lots of goal keepers and a team of midfielders.

Perhaps we can now start seeing goals from all areas .

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I disagree.  We had these 3 CBs  on the books but still signed Webster.  Our system works best with a tried and tested ball playing centre back on the pitch.  Looking at the 3 we have only one has the potential to be this type of player.  Besides, Baker is probably too injury prone, BW is a very reliable, competent squad member but no more and TM is untested at this level.  Massive gamble not to replace Webster.

We had Taylor Moore on loan developing. He is now in our squad. Thus Webster was hardly signed as a first team alternative to the kid at that time He, Moore, looks a decent enough ball player to me that is not prone to being dispossessed up the field. However the like for like replacement you allude to may not even be out there so, if not, you need to give our own a fair chance

As for Baker he is prone to a slight knock but we also have Wright in a thirty man squad. There other positions that need attention before that one, chasing a defender that might not be there is not a priority.

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We had Taylor Moore on loan developing. He is now in our squad. Thus Webster was hardly signed as a first team alternative to the kid at that time He, Moore, looks a decent enough ball player to me that is not prone to being dispossessed up the field. However the like for like replacement you allude to may not even be out there so, if not, you need to give our own a fair chance

As for Baker he is prone to a slight knock but we also have Wright in a thirty man squad. There other positions that need attention before that one, chasing a defender that might not be there is not a priority.

*Apart from the 3rd goal obviously

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Other players are allowed to score, it's not netball! We could have Ronaldo up front but with the creation of our midfield he wouldn't be our "20 goal a season" man!

THIS.

Fammy sometimes cannot trap a bag of cement and is frustrating, but on other days is unplayable (if he was more consistent he wouldn't play for us though). His goals to minutes is hardly terrible either, especially playing in the role he is asked to do. I am unsure getting an Assombalonga would really change us to a promotion force. Would he be an upgrade on Fammy, then yes I think he would. But at what cost? £15 million plus ridiculous wages that would upset our whole squad - then no thanks.

Nearly every striker mentioned are just out of our league, and as fans we just have to accept that. Assombolonga, Gayle, Hogan all are on around 60k per week aren't they? Rhodes actual record the last few years is abysmal and I am unsure why he is suddenly going to get 20+ goals for us.

Upgrade on Pack and speed getting the ball forward may help us get more goals, our new signings may well be a huge piece of the puzzle too

At the end of the day we need more midfielders to chip in and some more from defenders. That is the problem... Not getting another striker.. what happens is a new striker comes in and does his ligaments? Who has to step up.

Our issue is sharing the responsibility around the team. In the past we had flint and Bryan chipping in over 10 a season between them.

I am hoping Palmer and Szmodics can chip in more but we need a lot more from Brownhill Pack Patterson O'Dowda Elliasson,  Weimann's goal scoring is gonna be very dependant where he plays. 

This leads back to defence. I haven't seen much threat to goal from De Silva, Kalas, Hunt. I can't comment on Moore

We have a squad full of players who historically do not score enough.

This is where we let ourselves down. Fam will get you around 15 a season and I think he'd get more if Elliasson was played more.

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As a last resort I guess LJ will just phone his mate Pep to loan in one of their top young striker prospects!

Apparently when Eddies transfer fell through LJ was quoted as saying 'Jesus' and Ashton said 'I give it go'

Archived