IGNORED

Priority was always improving midfield

the1stknowle

Look, we probably do need a striker. But if you'd have given me the choice between getting a striker or getting some competition in the centre of midfield, then I choose sorting out central midfield. I think it's been our big problem for years. 

Im sure we will bring in someone up front tomorrow, if not Nketiah. But if we can get Nagy over line then I think those 2 midfielders bought in this week are the key for us this season. Even if we don't bring anyone up front, Weimann (played centrally), Semenyo, Taylor, Janneh and Fam feeding off Palmer, Pato, Eliasson, CoD and Sammy should bring goals. But we need the ball moving through midfield and need it back quicker when we lose it. The added quality competition will be good for Marlon and Walsh (if he stays).

And also, we should all be really excited about seeing if Semenyo and Janneh can step up this year.

So I know I'll be pretty much alone in this but Im pretty sanguine about the striker situation and a lot happier about season now the midfield has been bolstered, assuming we get Nagy in (even if we do lose Josh tomorrow).

1 minute ago, the1stknowle said:

Look, we probably do need a striker. But if you'd have given me the choice between getting a 9 or getting some competition in at 8 and 6, then I choose sorting out central midfield. I think it's been our big problem for years. 

Im sure we will bring in a 9 tomorrow, if not Nketiah. But if we can get Nagy over line then I think those 2 midfielders bought in this week are the key for us this season. Even if we don't bring anyone up front, Weimann (played centrally), Semenyo, Taylor, Janneh and Fam feeding off Palmer, Pato, Eliasson, CoD and Sammy should bring goals. But we need the ball moving through midfield and need it back quicker when we lose it. The added quality competition will be good for Marlon and Walsh (if he stays).

And also, we should all be really excited about seeing if Semenyo and Janneh can step up this year.

So I know I'll be pretty much alone in this but Im pretty sanguine about the striker situation and a lot happier about season now the midfield has been bolstered, assuming we get Nagy in (even if we do lose Josh tomorrow).

In my day 6 was a centre half ... 8 (or 10) and 4 were the central midfielders with 7 and 11 out wide - happy days!

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In my day 6 was a centre half ... 8 (or 10) and 4 were the central midfielders with 7 and 11 out wide - happy days!

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Old git!

Get up to date!

Nobby was 4. Sir Bobby Moore was 6.

So you’re agreeing with me then?! As I said, back then 4 was a midfielder and 6 was a centre half ... although, Nobby only wore 4 for England - he adorned 6, 8 and 10 for Man Yoo ...

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You are obviously younger than me! In my day 6 was right half, 8 or 10 was inside right or left and 7 and 11 were left and right wingers!

7 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Not if you are a player in the team! Your logic indicates that a number 9 could be the goal keeper depending on which end you were watching from!!!!

Funny you should say that, according to one of the Leeds team set ups a couple 9f weeks ago they had Roofe in goal and Ayling on the left wing!

Number 5 was centre half.

2 & 3 right and left back

4 & 6 right and left wing half

7 & 11 right and left wing

8 & 10 inside right and inside left,

9 centre forward.

All of this is in old money i.e.pre decimalisation.

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Look, we probably do need a striker. But if you'd have given me the choice between getting a striker or getting some competition in the centre of midfield, then I choose sorting out central midfield. I think it's been our big problem for years. 

Im sure we will bring in someone up front tomorrow, if not Nketiah. But if we can get Nagy over line then I think those 2 midfielders bought in this week are the key for us this season. Even if we don't bring anyone up front, Weimann (played centrally), Semenyo, Taylor, Janneh and Fam feeding off Palmer, Pato, Eliasson, CoD and Sammy should bring goals. But we need the ball moving through midfield and need it back quicker when we lose it. The added quality competition will be good for Marlon and Walsh (if he stays).

I said that a fortnight ago, that if we got the midfield right our forwards would score more, and the midfield itself might contribute more.

55 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Number 5 was centre half.

2 & 3 right and left back

4 & 6 right and left wing half

7 & 11 right and left wing

8 & 10 inside right and inside left,

9 centre forward.

All of this is in old money i.e.pre decimalisation.

Yep, I wore 5, or if on the bench 14 (1+4=5) of 15 (because it had a 5 in it).

Even in a short spell playing up top I still wore 5.

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Games are won and lost in both boxes-at the moment we lack the proven quality to keep clean Sheets and score more than 1 a game. If we don’t get a quality centre back and striker then we will finish in the bottom half regardless of how good our midfield is

Yes that's where the goals take place but increasingly, the side who wins the midfield wins the game.

We don't win the midfield enough- part personnel, part system I reckon. Hopefully this will now change!

7 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

Exactly, no point in having new strikers if you aren’t got the quality to get the ball t them in the first place.

6 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Games are won and lost in both boxes-at the moment we lack the proven quality to keep clean Sheets and score more than 1 a game. If we don’t get a quality centre back and striker then we will finish in the bottom half regardless of how good our midfield is

Not quite, a solid midfield will prevent pressure on the back 4/5 and support the attackers. Midfield is where we struggled and eventually “failed” last season when we dropped out the playoffs. I rate Marlon but he needed help, he was clearly running on empty come the last 7/8 games.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Exactly, no point in having new strikers if you aren’t got the quality to get the ball t them in the first place.

yep, I've been saying it for 5 years now, people are finally waking up to the fact that our central midfield has never been good enough during that time,

People have blamed Moore for two goals sunday, but if our midfield did its job he wouldn't of been in the situation to make those mistakes, on the otherside of the coin, leed won because they over ran us in midfield, our midfield and thats all of them, o'dowda, pack, brownhill, weinman and palmer did no defensive work, little attacking work, leaving both fammy and the defense badly exposed  

• Admin

I wouldn't say our priority has always been the midfield.

Up to when Korey was injured we were OK in that area but way back before then we have been short up front

We can all see it, just amazing transfer window after transfer window it is still not addressed

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We have been chasing strikers for 3 transfer windows. If anything we need 2, with Taylor moving on. 

Though I fully agree about the midfield weaknesses. Still feel we look physically  lightweight for the championship rough and tumble. Korey has been a huge loss. Will b e interesting to see the attributes of the new players and how they will fit in. We have a big big squad now. 

This is certainly going to be Lees squad ,/ plan / playing ethos now

Nimble /  busy bees / maybe lightweight / footballing .....ethos

Interesting for sure ........ hang on tight 

Archived