IGNORED

Priority was always improving midfield

the1stknowle

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Blimey! What numbers did the centre halves wear back then?

Based on Leighterton FC, back in the Stroud League Division 6 days.

1 Goalie (rush or otherwise - a farmer, tall lad or 4ft wide, only saved a shot if he couldn't get out of the way of it)

2 Right Back (often a Scottish bloke with missing teeth)

3 Left Back (my position - never strayed over the half way line - ever)

4 Right Half (Usually the Dad of one of the young front lads)

5 Centre Half (captain and clogger with a huge forehead and broken nose)

6 Left Half (day release from Leyhill Prison)

7 Outside Right (young, fast kid, long flowing hair)

8 Inside Right (another from the youth team, mullet)

9 Centre Forward (the only bloke in the side who looked like a footballer)

10 Inside Left (great asset in a penalty box / corner scuffle.  Could take a good punch)

11 Outside Right (the captains nephew - not much good but skipper's sister had to work Saturday afternoons)

ONE SUBSTITUTE ALLOWED, although most villages didn't have 12 blokes to name anyway.  Hope this helps.

We obviously need a striker and central defender but I do agree that the two midfielders we have signed, assuming they do what they have been brought into to do, should make a big difference both going forward and at the back.

The major issue against Leeds was we weren't in the game and ceded control in the centre. That created situations that showed we could not defend well enough, and we failed to show much in attack, but a midfield that shields the defence can compensate for a weakness at the back and a midfield that creates chances can compensate for players with a worse chance conversation rate. Failure to get a striker in would be a real blow but we need to move on if that happens and find ways for our midfield to make chances for Diedhiou, Weimann, Taylor and Semenyo, and to provide cover for Brownhill, Palmer, Szmodics etc. to get into the box more. 

13 hours ago, downendcity said:

Number 5 was centre half.

2 & 3 right and left back

4 & 6 right and left wing half

7 & 11 right and left wing

8 & 10 inside right and inside left,

9 centre forward.

All of this is in old money i.e.pre decimalisation.

Did you remember all of that it did you look it up on Wikpedia?

If the former, you are now confirmed as dementia free at the moment!

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Not quite, a solid midfield will prevent pressure on the back 4/5 and support the attackers. Midfield is where we struggled and eventually “failed” last season when we dropped out the playoffs. I rate Marlon but he needed help, he was clearly running on empty come the last 7/8 games.

Agree but it’s also important that when the ball goes up top we keep hold of the sodding thing!!!

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Bollocks. Striker all day long. Look at city when ee had tammy or Kodjia things started looking promising. We all know its a striker needed, end of

Remind us, where did we finish in those seasons? 

Without the goals scored by both we would have gone down imo due to the weak team around them and thats the point, a solid midfield supports both the attack and defense. 

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Did you remember all of that it did you look it up on Wikpedia?

If the former, you are now confirmed as dementia free at the moment!

Remembered it all as if it were yesterday. 

I can confirm I am dementia free, as I was telling Winston, Napoleon and Stalin over a cup of tea this morning.

• Admin

We've pissed about now for three seasons in transfer windows.

We're into panic signing zone already now!!

Going from needing 4 players at the start of the summer we are now into double figures and STILL haven't got this infamous second forward in.

Archived