IGNORED

Greatest ever day on OTIB

Marina's Rolls Royce

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Fair points regarding the offensive stuff - which I missed yesterday evening - I was following that thread for most of the day though as I was the whole Forum. Full of the excitement of deadline day, lots of humour and lots of far better insight than offered by any other media outlet...some nonsense, some spot on. It'll be the same today.

Yet at the end of the day the OP took time to write an essay peppered with offensive and patronising comments about fellow supporters...why would anyone do that?

The OP was certainly not offensive, (in my opinion) and patronising only in the same way that an adult would be at a noisy birthday party full of over excited, tantrumming, sugar rushing 10 year olds.

It's the same desperation at the end of every transfer window, just to varying degrees.

17 minutes ago, Oops said:

The OP was certainly not offensive, (in my opinion) and patronising only in the same way that an adult would be at a noisy birthday party full of over excited, tantrumming, sugar rushing 10 year olds.

It's the same desperation at the end of every transfer window, just to varying degrees.

Fair enough, each to his own. I'm not sure what the 'pretend supporters' gibe was meant to be if not offensive.

For myself I'd be unimpressed by an adult who patronised 10 years olds however over-excited they were, least of all at a birthday party where excitement would be expected...as a football forum might be expected to be on a transfer day in which a club was shooting (relatively) for the moon.

I'll wager that there'll be similar excitement today. 

44 minutes ago, Stortz said:

If you peruse the Nketiah thread from around 5ish yesterday I'm sure you'll agree that @Marina's Rolls Royce is being far, far too kind with his description of some of our more reactionary posters.

Beyond responding to our pursuit of Nketiah and his potential decision in a semi rabid, myopic manner, there are also posters classy enough to wish serious injury on a kid doing what we all would in his shoes without our City affiliation.

I'm not sure even a spoilt child would do that tbh.

I'd advise looking up reactionary in the dictionary. It is a word that is incorrectly used quite often on this forum. I hope this helps:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/reactionary

43 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Fair points regarding the offensive stuff - which I missed yesterday evening - I was following that thread for most of the day though as I was the whole Forum. Full of the excitement of deadline day, lots of humour and lots of far better insight than offered by any other media outlet...some nonsense, some spot on. It'll be the same today.

Yet at the end of the day the OP took time to write an essay peppered with offensive and patronising comments about fellow supporters...why would anyone do that?

Re- read the 63 page thread on a potential loan deal for a reserve youth striker and you'll have your answer.

26 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I'd advise looking up reactionary in the dictionary. It is a word that is incorrectly used quite often on this forum. I hope this helps:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/reactionary

Thank you for being so patronising.

As I'm sure you are aware, words can have more than one meaning.

Perhaps you'd like to look at the first definition in this dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reactionary

'Relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction' I'd say it was perfectly apposite in that context, wouldn't you?

I hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Re- read the 63 page thread on a potential loan deal for a reserve youth striker and you'll have your answer.

Sorry - not buying that. You wanted to present yourself as a supporter a cut above the rest. Looking down on others, witness...'I'll be reminding you later in the season boys'...

Shame anyone feels the need to do that, or gets any satisfaction from it, at such an exciting time for the club. 

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Truly today must be our 'finest hour'.

I learn today that Weimann should not be on the pitch and  Fammy is actually the problem in our team.

Meanwhile signing a truly mega exciting player age 18 with Champions League experience from a major European club is questioned as worryingly too much money and a big gamble- then largely glossed over on our forum because it's just not enough or the right position . Un-####in believable !!  ( Welcome Han-Noah - I will cheer you at every touch)

Signing a goal keeper with the pedigree of Dan Bentley, Making our Chelsea loans of Kallas, DaSilva and Palmer permanent for mega millions. Boom.

Signing a very exciting player from Benfica ( Benfica FFS!) who gave one of the best messages about joining BCFC that I have ever read- but no, it's irrelevant because it's nothing compared to an unknown Arse second string player who may or may not condescend to play for our great club. And people are making it out to be the end of the world????

We have a chance of signing a great quality Hungarian International  and who knows who else?.

Meanwhile-loads of spoilt school children think that SL or MA or more stupidly Lee Johnson only had one single striker target in Eddie whatshisface whose Club has made it clear of no guarantees of him going anywhere. So really???  In a market where virtually every single club in Europe- no, the world, wants a striker who can get goals and our fans believe  club's will obviously sell to BCFC? - you silly silly children. There will be a Plan B even if it's not the one fans dreamt of.

So- just to sum up what has been the most unappreciative day in OTIB history - we've made some cracking signings and cracking sales. We are doing stuff that I never dreamt possible because I saw my Club almost disappear in 1982, I stood on the terraces of Trumpton when we lost the title and when the Green'un announced yet another pointless journeyman signing for us in order to join a team of journeymen not playing for us. Same old same old for decades. 

I'm actually in heaven about what's now going on at BCFC, so grateful to SL and pretty much laugh at a 50± page thread of hysteria about a player that 99.9% of posters have never seen play, can't spell and can't pronounce.

And the funniest thing that it's always the same group of posters who never believe( I'll be reminding you later in the season, boys) because they always criticise and unless we are guaranteed the Prem - they'll keep on being pretend supporters.

If we get to the play-offs we'll have done well- actually,brilliantly in a tough tough League  but I just don't get how people are just not able to see how far we've come and how far we can still go.

COYR

Fantastic post! Another international signed this morning from Serie A. Great time to be a City fan.

10 hours ago, RedHienz said:

Stop making sense!

Most are only happy when complaining and this post nails that perfectly.  I remember us signing  the likes of John Burns, Marc Goodfellow, Robin Hulbert and Carl Hutchings.......sometimes i think people would enjoy to go back to those days.......

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I learn today that Weimann should not be on the pitch and  Fammy is actually the problem in our team.

Meanwhile signing a truly mega exciting player age 18 with Champions League experience from a major European club is questioned as worryingly too much money and a big gamble- then largely glossed over on our forum because it's just not enough or the right position . Un-####in believable !!  ( Welcome Han-Noah - I will cheer you at every touch)

Signing a goal keeper with the pedigree of Dan Bentley, Making our Chelsea loans of Kallas, DaSilva and Palmer permanent for mega millions. Boom.

Signing a very exciting player from Benfica ( Benfica FFS!) who gave one of the best messages about joining BCFC that I have ever read- but no, it's irrelevant because it's nothing compared to an unknown Arse second string player who may or may not condescend to play for our great club. And people are making it out to be the end of the world????

We have a chance of signing a great quality Hungarian International  and who knows who else?.

Meanwhile-loads of spoilt school children think that SL or MA or more stupidly Lee Johnson only had one single striker target in Eddie whatshisface whose Club has made it clear of no guarantees of him going anywhere. So really???  In a market where virtually every single club in Europe- no, the world, wants a striker who can get goals and our fans believe  club's will obviously sell to BCFC? - you silly silly children. There will be a Plan B even if it's not the one fans dreamt of.

So- just to sum up what has been the most unappreciative day in OTIB history - we've made some cracking signings and cracking sales. We are doing stuff that I never dreamt possible because I saw my Club almost disappear in 1982, I stood on the terraces of Trumpton when we lost the title and when the Green'un announced yet another pointless journeyman signing for us in order to join a team of journeymen not playing for us. Same old same old for decades. 

I'm actually in heaven about what's now going on at BCFC, so grateful to SL and pretty much laugh at a 50± page thread of hysteria about a player that 99.9% of posters have never seen play, can't spell and can't pronounce.

And the funniest thing that it's always the same group of posters who never believe( I'll be reminding you later in the season, boys) because they always criticise and unless we are guaranteed the Prem - they'll keep on being pretend supporters.

If we get to the play-offs we'll have done well- actually,brilliantly in a tough tough League  but I just don't get how people are just not able to see how far we've come and how far we can still go.

COYR

Fair play to you mate. It's wonderful that we are attracting quality players from overseas as well as home grown. What many of us doubt is whether LJ has the nous and experience to manage them to their true potential and make us promotion contenders. Lee has made approaching 60 signings since joining us in feb. 2016. Unfortunately it's not just about getting good players in is it?

28 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Sorry - not buying that. You wanted to present yourself as a supporter a cut above the rest. Looking down on others, witness...'I'll be reminding you later in the season boys'...

Shame anyone feels the need to do that, or gets any satisfaction from it, at such an exciting time for the club. 

I'm not asking you to buy anything- I just say it as I see it. It's my opinion and not yours. No problem.

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

COYR

A well written piece.

Our club houses a lot of negativity; fans slating a player (i.e. Massengo) before he's even kicked a ball, based purely on his age and appearance i.e. he's not mature/strong enough. Reality is we've done business with some big European clubs this year: Monaco, Bologna, Chelsea etc.

I for one am happy with our signings so far, especially Perreira in RB as I felt Hunt looked off the pace Saturday.

That said, I still feel that we need a proven striker to assist Fammy up front and can't lie, I will be disappointing if the club fail to sign someone. I'm also slightly angry that it's taken so so long to get deals in motion: at this late stage agents/clubs can have our pants down over the price due to our apparent desperation.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Thank you for being so patronising.

As I'm sure you are aware, words can have more than one meaning.

Perhaps you'd like to look at the first definition in this dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reactionary

'Relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction' I'd say it was perfectly apposite in that context, wouldn't you?

I hope this helps.

Keeping things polite (as intended), you are referencing a recent American definition. Unfortunately, much of their misinterpretation and misuse of English is coming back to these shores. The ubiquity of "like", scattered randomly within even the simplest of sentences being of particular dismay.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/reactionary

Such matters aside, I'm rather more excited over the strengthening of our defensive options.

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

100+ likes, but over on the transfer page the hysteria, acrimony, blame game, negativity, it’s still going on!

Indeed. After the Leeds game, I took sanctuary over in the Transfer Forum to escape the ridiclous meltdown that was going on in here, but that now seems to have flipped!

Bring on the deadline...

20 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Keeping things polite (as intended), you are referencing a recent American definition. Unfortunately, much of their misinterpretation and misuse of English is coming back to these shores. The ubiquity of "like", scattered randomly within even the simplest of sentences being of particular dismay.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/reactionary

Such matters aside, I'm rather more excited over the strengthening of our defensive options.

It isn't polite to come over as patronising and high handed, but fair enough if that wan't your intention.

Language is not kept in aspic, but develops and changes over the years (unless you are Jacob Rees Mogg); hence we no longer greet each other like Shakesperean characters, or with a teddy boy's 'Hey Daddio'.

I agree regarding the signings. Have a good day.

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

COYR

In my Top 5 Posts Of All Time.

Fantastic perspective, and superbly laid out. i too am incredibly excited for the months ahead.

Very well said Marina !!

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. So much so that you genuinely wonder how they deal with problems that arise in their everyday lives.

"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are" as someone itk once wrote, and if their sources were bang on then all of us see Bristol City individually, through the lens of our own experience and "reality."

Some folks are terribly irrational and unreasonable and appear to struggle with stuff like context, expectations, and, er, "reality." Existence, basically. For many, it will not only be so with their football club. I have my own moments of despair and despondency too (we have had to wait longer than most for top class football again, other than the minnows). Being on here every hour, every day magnifies everything, makes it worse.

Reason and logic and context and fairness will not convince or console the unreasonable and the illogical. It's more of a feeling than anything. Some just feel that City are "shit," or a "letdown," or are "always" doing this. Or going to. And professional football has always had an element of the unreasonable and illogical about it, it has long existed outside of the boundaries of everyday life. Indeed, it has thrived upon it.

If the OP's aim is to change the outlook or opinion or behaviour of the unreasonable, good luck with that! It ain't gonna happen.

Archived