IGNORED

Bristol Punk Scene 1977 - 2019

KURTZ

Saw most from late 78 . Due to age it was hard to get in these gigs even 79 Locarno. Early damned were awesome as were clash . We were the punks on the east end terraces in the dark days of the early eighties forth division..still go to some of the gigs. 

• Like 1

Anybody see the Skids at the Locarno?

Strange incident with the support band.

Called the Edge.

Can't remember what they played or what it was.

But remember that gobbing was a sport.

And the Edge were the target.

Couple of songs in off stormed the lead guitarist after a series of direct hits.

Then the bassist.

The singer and drummer were made of stronger stuff and using one of the symbols as a gob shield the singer completed their set of only drums and vocals behind the shoulders of the drummer.

Saw Killing Joke in Baff Pavilion supported by Aztec Camera ..

The crowd were about as warm to Aztec Camera as somebody taking a dump on yer carpet ..

34 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

There was a clothes shop near the bus station that sold all the top gear of the day , Paradise Garage? ....:yawn:

Rings a bell but we bought our gear from Oxfam and other charity shops and made our own , real  punks not ‘ off the shelf ‘ copycats who jumped on the band wagon with their bondage trousers , bum flaps and Mohican haircuts .

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Rings a bell but we bought our gear from Oxfam and other charity shops and made our own , real  punks not ‘ off the shelf ‘ copycats who jumped on the band wagon with their bondage trousers , bum flaps and Mohican haircuts .

You looked the business Your Maj

picdump-957-2-1.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Paradise garage.

Ran by Richard.

No health and safety there.

Dick liked stacking things.

Heavy boxes of shoes stacked really high.

Heavy shoes with gurt soles on them.

Turn round with your arms not tucked into your sides it caused an avalanche of creepers.

Got me a pretty cool red & black mohair jumper from Paradise Garage, but it didn't last long due to getting drenched in sweat and lager too many times down the Locarno.

Our Favourite Shop though was Rodney Thomas in the Arcade. At different times it catered for teds, punks, skins, mods and rude boys. After seeing Quadrophenia the movie you had to look properly sharp and Rodney was your man. Watch the cloth moth.

• Like 2

On 08/08/2019 at 09:56, KURTZ said:

Just wondering if there are any of you who are old enough to have witnessed the Bristol Punk scene in its heyday?

Can any of you remember Seeing The Clash, and the Stanglers play the Exhibition Center? 

Did you see Siouxie and the Banshees play the Barton Hill Youth club?

Do you remember gangs of Punk Rockers congregating outside the Virgin Records shop?

Does anyone still go to see Punk bands?

Is there still a Punk Scene in Bristol?

Barton Hill youth club was my hang out but didn’t see the Banshees there. Did have a ticket to see the Pistols at the Bamboo club but it Burned down, absolutely gutted. One group I’m glad I saw, was a bit later, the Virgin Prunes at Trinity. Took my Mrs to see them when we were courting. She still wonders what she witnessed even now. 

54 minutes ago, swanker said:

Barton Hill youth club was my hang out but didn’t see the Banshees there. Did have a ticket to see the Pistols at the Bamboo club but it Burned down, absolutely gutted. One group I’m glad I saw, was a bit later, the Virgin Prunes at Trinity. Took my Mrs to see them when we were courting. She still wonders what she witnessed even now. 

That would have been good (The Prunes) I have some of their stuff and remember seeing them on Whistle Test or something just insane - would have been worth seeing

23 minutes ago, Markman said:

That would have been good (The Prunes) I have some of their stuff and remember seeing them on Whistle Test or something just insane - would have been worth seeing

Absolutely, wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Hardly anyone there as well. The two lead singer linked arms at the end and sang “ I’m tired and I want to go home” and as they left the stage turned around and waved to the audience. Pure class! 

Those were the days, they don’t do it like that anymore!

Edited by swanker

Yate 1977 saw Siouxie and the Banshees, Slaughter and The Dogs, The Adverts  Ultravox, Generation X,   Boomtown Rats and others I cant remember.

I think the promoter thought Yate was in Bristol  :laugh: ..great times for us Yaters!!

Also went to Barton Hill a few times, that was gig central for punk bands late 70's.

Saw The Clash at the Locarno backed up by The Coventry Specials  in 78.

Went from Punk to Rudeboy overnight.

Punk became old news that night! 

Sorry guys

• Like 1

Sadly I was just too young to see the proper Clash lineup (Strummer, Jones, Simenon, Headon) but was anybody at the Joe Strummer Rock against the Rich gig in Bristol 1988?. Lots of anarchist shennanigans going on, Class War supported the tour, they were a notorious anarchist organisation of the time.

It was brilliant! and working for the NHS at the time, I was fully behind the sentiments of torching Porsches and yuppie flats that the organisers espoused....!

Not the scariest gig I ever went to though - that was the Angelic Upstarts in Exeter around 1983, the day after Exeter City had played the Gas. All the neanderthal NF Gas skinheads stuck around for the gig and created mayhem. As a students we just were relieved to get out without getting a kicking having lurked in the shadows at the gig. The Upstarts, just like Sham 69 attracted,and for no real reason, far right morons to their gigs.

On 13/02/2021 at 16:07, Yatesman said:

Yate 1977 saw Siouxie and the Banshees, Slaughter and The Dogs, The Adverts  Ultravox, Generation X,   Boomtown Rats and others I cant remember.

My mum has always told a story that she was in Yate and saw Billy Idol being kicked out of a cafe. I assume that was the same day as when you saw Generation X ?

On 09/08/2019 at 09:04, Markman said:

would have liked to have seen the Dead Kennedys - one of my best gigs was the Cramps (bit after punk really) 1980 at Trinity Hall - about a year after they supported the Police at the Locarno

If that’s the same gig I was at Sting broke off mid song and said he’d walk off stage if anyone else gobbed on him. He was dripping in phlegm and didn’t much like it. Loved punk but that aspect was disgusting. 

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

If that’s the same gig I was at Sting broke off mid song and said he’d walk off stage if anyone else gobbed on him. He was dripping in phlegm and didn’t much like it. Loved punk but that aspect was disgusting. 

I only saw The Police once - in concert at Bristol Students Union in the late 1970s, way before they became famous.

I recall they performed Roxanne, but the overall reception they received would best be described as 'warm'.

watched a brilliant programme about top of the pops 1078 last night.people like the beegees couldnt be arsed to appear but the clash said they would not mime so couldnt perform. hence videos of their records.

being a nailsea wooly back,although i loved punk couldnt pluck up the courage to attend a gig until i was 16 in 1980 when i got a ticket to see SLF at the bear inn ?? hotwells. arrived in plenty of time only to find it had been cancelled due to concerns of the ceiling collapsing with everyone pogo ing

Bit late to the party but saw plenty of gigs late 70's and 80's

Siouxsie, The Clash, Stranglers, Bauhaus, The Jam, Gary Numan  amongst others.

Virgin records the place to be on a Saturday. Paradise Garage by the bus station with Boney Morony next to it.

As others have said still a punk scene last gig I went to was a Clash tribute band at the exchange before the first lock down. Theres just a lot less hair these days.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2020 at 12:25, Slippin cider said:

There was a clothes shop near the bus station that sold all the top gear of the day , Paradise Garage? ....:yawn:

And Bony Maronie.

I was too young for being a proper punk. I was more of a goth and bought my buckle boots from Bony Maronie in 1984 (I was 15).

I was looking at the area when I went past on the bus the other day. There was a record shop down there too, and a chemist where we bought hair dye, gel and cheap make up. 
it was a walk through  from Broadmead to the bus station so was used quite regularly.