IGNORED

Bristol Punk Scene 1977 - 2019

KURTZ

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

And Bony Maronie.

I was too young for being a proper punk. I was more of a goth and bought my buckle boots from Bony Maronie in 1984 (I was 15).

I was looking at the area when I went past on the bus the other day. There was a record shop down there too, and a chemist where we bought hair dye, gel and cheap make up. 
it was a walk through  from Broadmead to the bus station so was used quite regularly.

Bony Morony was a not so cool version of Paradise Garage

• Like 2

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

And Bony Maronie.

I was too young for being a proper punk. I was more of a goth and bought my buckle boots from Bony Maronie in 1984 (I was 15).

I was looking at the area when I went past on the bus the other day. There was a record shop down there too, and a chemist where we bought hair dye, gel and cheap make up. 
it was a walk through  from Broadmead to the bus station so was used quite regularly.

I'm like you. Loved it there. Bought lots of clothes.

As well as the record shop in the underpass,  a trip to Bristol - 50 minutes on the bus for 30p then!!! - meant a climb up Park Street to Clifton Triangle for Revolver, and the second-hand one that was near the top there.

Used to go home from Bristol with bagfulls of vinyl. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As well as the record shop in the underpass,  a trip to Bristol - 50 minutes on the bus for 30p then!!! - meant a climb up Park Street to Clifton Triangle for Revolver, and the second-hand one that was near the top there.

Rival Records in Broadmead and Park Street too. I did love Virgin record store too. Could spend hours in there looking through the singles and the band t shirts. There was a Siouxsie t shirt that I really wanted but never bought it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Rival Records in Broadmead and Park Street too. I did love Virgin record store too. Could spend hours in there looking through the singles and the band t shirts. There was a Siouxsie t shirt that I really wanted but never bought it. 

was  it Rival Records in Yate as well?

• Like 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Back in the dark ages before the interweb, I spent (along with many others) a day and a night outside Virgin queuing for Knebworth tickets, no phones to look at, so you had to talk to people, drink cider, enjoy the aroma of the happy Havana’s and we had a 4am football match IIRC.  All part of the festival experience back then, no wildly refreshing trying to get onto a crashing website…….

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Back in the dark ages before the interweb, I spent (along with many others) a day and a night outside Virgin queuing for Knebworth tickets, no phones to look at, so you had to talk to people, drink cider, enjoy the aroma of the happy Havana’s and we had a 4am football match IIRC.  All part of the festival experience back then, no wildly refreshing trying to get onto a crashing website…….

I remember the large board with all the tour dates etc on it…

There used to be that place on Union Street as well that did concert tickets.

42 minutes ago, Markman said:

was  it Rival Records in Yate as well?

There was one in Bath too, I think. Don't know about Yate…

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

She lived in my bedroom. As a poster of course. The one where she had a very tight t-shirt.

As a 14-year-old boy I may have had an ulterior motive for buying that particular one....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

She lived in my bedroom. As a poster of course. The one where she had a very tight t-shirt.

As a 14-year-old boy I may have had an ulterior motive for buying that particular one....

I did copy her makeup and hair. #spellbound

My favs were Echo & The Bunnymen. Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant were my perfect guys…I've got Will's biography but haven't read it yet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My favs were Echo & The Bunnymen. Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant were my perfect guys…I've got Will's biography but haven't read it yet.

The Heaven Up Here cover was on another wall.  Not for the same reason though. :laughcont:

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2021 at 19:21, exAtyeoMax said:

A band I was in shared the same manager as the Bunnymen, we opened for them in Liverpool once and Mac told me off for swearing in front of his kids backstage.
Now that's a rock'n'roll story for ya! ?

• Haha 2

On 19/11/2021 at 14:31, City Rocker said:

A band I was in shared the same manager as the Bunnymen, we opened for them in Liverpool once and Mac told me off for swearing in front of his kids backstage.
Now that's a rock'n'roll story for ya! ?

Mines better than that. Becky Bondage offered to buy me a drink in the crown pub on Stapleton Rd. What a claim to fame!

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Fabulous band the Private Dicks, I still have the Avon Calling LP, which I bought up at Revolver Records on the Triangle in 1980, after I heard revered Uncle Johnny Peel play it on his Radio 1 show.

On the back of Peely playing them, I and my mates went to a Private Dicks gig at the Bristol Bridge Inn, all in our tartan bondage trousers and ripped T-shirts. That was a proper sweaty night and helped to make sure we all bought guitars and got our own bands going as soon as we could. Around that same time we went to see The Clash, The Jam, The Undertones and The Buzzcocks and my world has never been the same since.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2022 at 23:11, City Rocker said:

Fabulous band the Private Dicks, I still have the Avon Calling LP, which I bought up at Revolver Records on the Triangle in 1980, after I heard revered Uncle Johnny Peel play it on his Radio 1 show.

On the back of Peely playing them, I and my mates went to a Private Dicks gig at the Bristol Bridge Inn, all in our tartan bondage trousers and ripped T-shirts. That was a proper sweaty night and helped to make sure we all bought guitars and got our own bands going as soon as we could. Around that same time we went to see The Clash, The Jam, The Undertones and The Buzzcocks and my world has never been the same since.

The Bristol Bridge was a small boozer around where the quickfit centre now stands on the A4 Bath Road just up across the road from Fowlers.  
I remember the record shops in Bath and Bristol in the late 70s early 80s and very much looked forward to visiting a lot of them on most Saturdays .

I also saw several bands such as Stiff little fingers, UK subs and a few more at the Bath Pavilion in 79/80 having been dragged along by my uncle . Still have some old ticket stubs somewhere….happy days 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What was that pub at the Victoria Street end of Baldwin Street?

Wasn’t that called The Bristol Bridge?

Yeah that was the Bristol Bridge Inn. Just across the road from...well, Bristol Bridge, as it turns out. 

A big building backing onto St Nicholas Market, now a sushi bar last time I looked.

4 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yeah that was the Bristol Bridge Inn. Just across the road from...well, Bristol Bridge, as it turns out. 

A big building backing onto St Nicholas Market, now a sushi bar last time I looked.

That’s the one, I spent many a pleasant lunchtime there.

Up the steps from Baldwin Street, and the only decision was whether to stop at the BB, or carry on in to the market for a lovely pint of Sam Smiths in The Crown.

On 17/11/2021 at 17:16, Red-Robbo said:

Wasn't that the first Virgin Records ? A more hippy/Jitter feeling shop than the later version, but I loved it there . The choice was so much better than I was used to.
That little area was great, didn't buy too much in either BM or PD. I remember  I did get a rather nice pair of crepe soled suede shoes, as was popular. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Wasn't that the first Virgin Records ? A more hippy/Jitter feeling shop than the later version, but I loved it there . The choice was so much better than I was used to.
That little area was great, didn't buy too much in either BM or PD. I remember  I did get a rather nice pair of crepe soled suede shoes, as was popular. 

If it was, I can't remember it. I always associate Virgin with a couple of shops they had in Broadmead.

When I was 20, I had a holiday job at the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street. My favourite memory from that time was of a little old lady coming up to the counter, unwrapping a bit of paper presumably written on by a grandchild and asking me, in a shaky voice, if we had Acid Bath by Alien Sex Fiend. 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If it was, I can't remember it. I always associate Virgin with a couple of shops they had in Broadmead.

When I was 20, I had a holiday job at the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street. My favourite memory from that time was of a little old lady coming up to the counter, unwrapping a bit of paper presumably written on by a grandchild and asking me, in a shaky voice, if we had Acid Bath by Alien Sex Fiend. 

I've started doubting myself now.

From memory it was in the same area as PG & BM, low ceilings and more biker types. Obviously then moved to the corner of Union Street. I spent a lot of time and money in the Broadmead one. Can't find any photos to prove it, but this popped up. Inside Paradise Garage.

Photo by Greg Embery

1704529560_Screenshot2022-01-07at14_59_51.png.6d034bdcea88efb78247dab52999fca5.png 

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've started doubting myself now.

From memory it was in the same area as PG & BM, low ceilings and more biker types. Obviously then moved to the corner of Union Street. I spent a lot of time and money in the Broadmead one. Can't find any photos to prove it, but this popped up. Inside Paradise Garage.

Photo by Greg Embery

1704529560_Screenshot2022-01-07at14_59_51.png.6d034bdcea88efb78247dab52999fca5.png 

I know the Oxford Street store was the first Virgin record shop and that opened in 1979. 

Your picture brings back lots of memories.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The first Megastore was '79, first shop was '76 I think. 

It's still heartening to know that there are Virgin Megastores in the Middle East.

I found these images of a few "part-time punx" outside the Broadmead store in the early 80s:

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/virgin-bristol.html

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 12:14, 1960maaan said:

Yes, I remember the very first Virgin being in the Broadmead roundabout underpass, on the same side as the bus station.

• Like 1