IGNORED

Bristol Punk Scene 1977 - 2019

KURTZ

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, I remember the very first Virgin being in the Broadmead roundabout underpass, on the same side as the bus station.

Glad you remember it, I'd started to doubt myself . Cant find any photos or details at all. I think I'll ask on one of the "Bristol" pages, must be something somewhere .

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, I remember the very first Virgin being in the Broadmead roundabout underpass, on the same side as the bus station.

55 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Glad you remember it, I'd started to doubt myself . Cant find any photos or details at all. I think I'll ask on one of the "Bristol" pages, must be something somewhere .

I remember it well.

It would have been in the mid-1970s, and I recall buying an album from that very store on their new record label: Virgin Records.

Does anybody remember Mike Oldfield’s ‘Tubular Bells’?

It was on the Virgin Records label, and I bought my copy from that little store in the underpass.

13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember it well.

It would have been in the mid-1970s, and I recall buying an album from that very store on their new record label: Virgin Records.

It was on the Virgin Records label, and I bought my copy from that little store in the underpass.

Not my bag at all, I remember it though. Massive sales I recall.
The store just seemed completely different to what we had before. Small local style stores or places where records were an afterthought, Debenhams and Woolworths etc.

47 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember it well.

The 2005 re-issue is stunning. All instruments were re-recorded using latest state of the art mics, digital desks etc. It was then mixed in 5.1 surround sound. Stunning.

My son is studying music including composition at uni. I got him last month to watch this YouTube review of the album by a classical composer. An excellent watch as far as I'm concerned. My son has never liked the album (he's had to hear it many a time) but did concede on the well made observations.

Here it is. Well worth a look.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember it well.

Pretty much the whole of Richard Branson’s wealth is based on the success of Tubular Bells.  It’s hard to convey just how strange it was at the time, but Virgin took a punt on it.  

Anyone remember my favourites, Hatfield & the North?

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist

51 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone remember my favourites, Hatfield & the North?

If you're into classic bands that are still going but no longer on mainstream labels then Burning Shed is the shopping website for you (XTC reissues for example). Only yesterday I received their weekly newsletter and guess what?

Screenshot_20220114-093101_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1