IGNORED

Bristol Punk Scene 1977 - 2019

KURTZ

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

And Bony Maronie.

I was too young for being a proper punk. I was more of a goth and bought my buckle boots from Bony Maronie in 1984 (I was 15).

I was looking at the area when I went past on the bus the other day. There was a record shop down there too, and a chemist where we bought hair dye, gel and cheap make up. 
it was a walk through  from Broadmead to the bus station so was used quite regularly.

Bony Morony was a not so cool version of Paradise Garage

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

And Bony Maronie.

I was too young for being a proper punk. I was more of a goth and bought my buckle boots from Bony Maronie in 1984 (I was 15).

I was looking at the area when I went past on the bus the other day. There was a record shop down there too, and a chemist where we bought hair dye, gel and cheap make up. 
it was a walk through  from Broadmead to the bus station so was used quite regularly.

I'm like you. Loved it there. Bought lots of clothes.

As well as the record shop in the underpass,  a trip to Bristol - 50 minutes on the bus for 30p then!!! - meant a climb up Park Street to Clifton Triangle for Revolver, and the second-hand one that was near the top there.

Used to go home from Bristol with bagfulls of vinyl. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm like you. Loved it there. Bought lots of clothes.

As well as the record shop in the underpass,  a trip to Bristol - 50 minutes on the bus for 30p then!!! - meant a climb up Park Street to Clifton Triangle for Revolver, and the second-hand one that was near the top there.

Used to go home from Bristol with bagfulls of vinyl. 

Rival Records in Broadmead and Park Street too. I did love Virgin record store too. Could spend hours in there looking through the singles and the band t shirts. There was a Siouxsie t shirt that I really wanted but never bought it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Rival Records in Broadmead and Park Street too. I did love Virgin record store too. Could spend hours in there looking through the singles and the band t shirts. There was a Siouxsie t shirt that I really wanted but never bought it. 

was  it Rival Records in Yate as well?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Back in the dark ages before the interweb, I spent (along with many others) a day and a night outside Virgin queuing for Knebworth tickets, no phones to look at, so you had to talk to people, drink cider, enjoy the aroma of the happy Havana’s and we had a 4am football match IIRC.  All part of the festival experience back then, no wildly refreshing trying to get onto a crashing website…….

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Back in the dark ages before the interweb, I spent (along with many others) a day and a night outside Virgin queuing for Knebworth tickets, no phones to look at, so you had to talk to people, drink cider, enjoy the aroma of the happy Havana’s and we had a 4am football match IIRC.  All part of the festival experience back then, no wildly refreshing trying to get onto a crashing website…….

I remember the large board with all the tour dates etc on it…

There used to be that place on Union Street as well that did concert tickets.

42 minutes ago, Markman said:

was  it Rival Records in Yate as well?

There was one in Bath too, I think. Don't know about Yate…

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

She lived in my bedroom. As a poster of course. The one where she had a very tight t-shirt.

As a 14-year-old boy I may have had an ulterior motive for buying that particular one....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

She lived in my bedroom. As a poster of course. The one where she had a very tight t-shirt.

As a 14-year-old boy I may have had an ulterior motive for buying that particular one....

I did copy her makeup and hair. #spellbound

My favs were Echo & The Bunnymen. Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant were my perfect guys…I've got Will's biography but haven't read it yet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My favs were Echo & The Bunnymen. Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant were my perfect guys…I've got Will's biography but haven't read it yet.

The Heaven Up Here cover was on another wall.  Not for the same reason though. :laughcont:

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2021 at 19:21, exAtyeoMax said:

A band I was in shared the same manager as the Bunnymen, we opened for them in Liverpool once and Mac told me off for swearing in front of his kids backstage.
Now that's a rock'n'roll story for ya! 🤟

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

A band I was in shared the same manager as the Bunnymen, we opened for them in Liverpool once and Mac told me off for swearing in front of his kids backstage.

And he was supposed to be a bit of a troublemaker! 😂

On 19/11/2021 at 14:31, City Rocker said:

Mines better than that. Becky Bondage offered to buy me a drink in the crown pub on Stapleton Rd. What a claim to fame!

We also sort of supported Vice Squad at Warminster back in the day.

As local yokels attacked anything with spiky hair we fought them off as the Vice Squad loaded up their gear.

And then the Vice Squad buggered off leaving all.  

Stand strong stand proud Vice Squad.

Stand strong stand proud.