IGNORED

Matty Taylor - Confirmed - Joins Oxford on Season Long Loan

Jasper Testimitanu

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

A couple of posters over on sagchat are suggesting he might be off to Tranmere.

Tranmere won 5-0 on Saturday, admittedly against Bolton but it still suggests they don't need a striker. I think the Gasheads are probably worried that he will be playing against them tomorrow night! :) 

12 hours ago, !james said:

Thanks for the link. I note the highlighted part, below, which suggests the later deadline only applies to transfers between League 1 and 2 clubs. Or is it just the usual EFL incompetence with regulations?

A deadline of 31 August for League One and League Two Clubs for all permanent and loan registrations, thereby providing increased flexibility in relation to trading between Clubs in those two divisions.

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks for the link. I note the highlighted part, below, which suggests the later deadline only applies to transfers between League 1 and 2 clubs. Or is it just the usual EFL incompetence with regulations?

A deadline of 31 August for League One and League Two Clubs for all permanent and loan registrations, thereby providing increased flexibility in relation to trading between Clubs in those two divisions.

Its how its worded, a quick google for other pages makes it clearer:

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-afc-news/transfer-deadline-day-how-new-premier-league-championship-and-league-one-and-two-rules-will-affect-sunderland-488523  

What does this mean for Sunderland?

Premier League and Championship clubs will still be permitted to sell or loan players to other leagues whose transfer windows are open after 8 August. This creates a somewhat unique market and could benefit sides like Sunderland.

One poster on the Oxford forum has said its been completed

ECYellow

Today at 08:52

#7,666

Matty Taylor has completed his medical and is with the squad this morning. 

Unsure of any announcement timeframes.

Edit: I've just seen that Oxford play rovers this weekend, probably worth sticking £5 on him scoring against them. 

Is it just me or are others finding the transfer window dates are a bit of a mess this summer. Now I can see the reasoning behind shutting the window before the season starts for the Premiership (even though it was still a week after the Championship started) but if the other leagues don’t follow then aren’t the Premier League and Championship clubs setting themselves up for a fall. Clubs from other leagues can come in a nick your players and you don’t a chance to replace them. I know clubs don’t have to sell but a players head is going to turn if a Real Madrid or a Barcelona come calling. Even at our level with the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth in league One, if one of those clubs show interest in one of our fringe players and offer regular first team football on wages not too far off what we can offer then we could end up with an even smaller squad.

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Is it just me or are others finding the transfer window dates are a bit of a mess this summer. Now I can see the reasoning behind shutting the window before the season starts for the Premiership (even though it was still a week after the Championship started) but if the other leagues don’t follow then aren’t the Premier League and Championship clubs setting themselves up for a fall. Clubs from other leagues can come in a nick your players and you don’t a chance to replace them. I know clubs don’t have to sell but a players head is going to turn if a Real Madrid or a Barcelona come calling. Even at our level with the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth in league One, if one of those clubs show interest in one of our fringe players and offer regular first team football on wages not too far off what we can offer then we could end up with an even smaller squad.

Pochettino was saying exactly this at the weekend. My guess is that it will be changed again next year 

42 minutes ago, Big C said:

It's a bad system that inhibits clubs lower down the food chain. It risks us blocking player development by hoarding young players in the event of injuries (as we have now). 

Clubs at the top of the food chain are fine because they can spend money and start the domino effect (see Maguire and Man United) - but often this impacts clubs like us not leaving us enough time to complete deals.

I think it was fine how it was with the August 31st deadline - gives clubs a few weeks to feel out their squads and fill any gaps. Don't really see any reason why it was changed in the first place.

Many of the problems outlined on the thread are inherent in the system of having a finite transfer window, and they will manifest themselves in one shape or form however you tinker with dates. I'm not saying we should dispense with the system altogether: just that there is no perfect answer.  

The transfer window is pretty imperfect but least bad option?

Different countries, different contexts I guess. Notice that Pochettino thinks it should be longer, but looking elsewhere ie at Spain Simeone reckons it should be shut for them before the season starts. Unsure what I think about that- it may have a bit of merit for clubs being reluctant to sell key players but probably causes more problems than it solves?

Best of luck to him- that Man Utd assist in some ways paid his fee alone, let's not also forget his assists in the relegation run-in in 2016/17, was quite tight- difference between a last day scramble and an (eventually) relatively comfortable final 2 games? Took a quick look and he got the openjing in that do or die must win v Wolves that changed the momentum- we win 3-1, he got both assists in a 2-1 v QPR and he got the assist at Brighton!

Value for money I'd say- let's hope he scores a hattrick in both games vs a certain other Bristol club!

What a funny thing- if he'd moved just one or even two days later he would have them away as his first game!

Although there’s the recall option in January, barring massively unforeseen circumstances we’ve seen the last of Matty in a city shirt.

That being the case (and it’s the right decision for where we are as a club now), I’d just like to put on record how much I think he brought to the place. Contrary to popular rovers belief, we didn’t buy him to scupper their promotion chances or in spite, but because we needed goals and he was a goal scorer.

Did he really bring goals? Nope. But what he did bring was some of the highest work rate and most intelligent running you’ll see. Game awareness was huge, and probably with a bit more pace he’d have been a huge success here. Add in a player who the rest of the squad clearly liked, the phenomenal sh!thousing and, in LJs words, a catchy song and he should be remembered hugely fondly here. We didn’t get exactly what it was on the tin, but we got a lot more.

Plus, if there is no “In by Taylor” there’s no “It’s Smiiiiiiiith!”. One of the best, most intelligent balls you’ll ever see.

All the best Matty.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Although there’s the recall option in January, barring massively unforeseen circumstances we’ve seen the last of Matty in a city shirt.

That being the case (and it’s the right decision for where we are as a club now), I’d just like to put on record how much I think he brought to the place. Contrary to popular rovers belief, we didn’t buy him to scupper their promotion chances or in spite, but because we needed goals and he was a goal scorer.

Did he really bring goals? Nope. But what he did bring was some of the highest work rate and most intelligent running you’ll see. Game awareness was huge, and probably with a bit more pace he’d have been a huge success here. Add in a player who the rest of the squad clearly liked, the phenomenal sh!thousing and, in LJs words, a catchy song and he should be remembered hugely fondly here. We didn’t get exactly what it was on the tin, but we got a lot more.

Plus, if there is no “In by Taylor” there’s no “It’s Smiiiiiiiith!”. One of the best, most intelligent balls you’ll ever see.

All the best Matty.

Indeed, will never be forgotten for his part in this moment. 

Its a real shame to see him leave on loan. He is a goal scorer and brings something different to the forward line. I do think his age is against him though but he is a clever player.

There are games which suit his style of play. I get the home grown player scenario but I don't feel it should be to his detriment. I am excited by Semenyo's progression but it should be in tandem with Taylor. All it will take is a couple of injuries and we will be back in a hole much like the left back hole we currently have. I would also argue that from the bench Matty Taylor offers more variation than Famara Dhiedhiou in an attacking sense. 

I think he still has a lot to offer us and I really hope it doesn't bite us in the rear. 

Sad to see him go. More than capable squad player but clearly they see Semenyo as next in line which I have no issue with, and he’s probably on about 1/3 of the wages. 

Absolute limbs when he scores the winner on Saturday in 90+6 and slithers the length of the Mem on his belly ?  

I am loving the sags meltdown. There's a good chance that they'll still be waiting for their first league goal after the snake hits a hat trick.

Typical sags in another thread referring to Cheltenham Town as a "village side". Talk about a total lack of respect. They could learn a lot from Cheltenham Town but oh no not the Watney Cup wonder sags who have such a massive illustrious history and done so much for the game of football

Is it any wonder no one likes them.  

Archived