IGNORED

Transfer Window Circus...

spudski

Surely has to change?

How can serious businesses operate in such a eay...its a farce.

It feels like it's in place purely as Entertainment value for Sky.

Purely Prem focussed.

So many teams now hang on for as long as possible to get the biggest price because of panic.

How can you plan properly?

It really is a joke imo.

So disruptive to players and their families.

Already into the season...how can players concentrate on the next game at hand?

I think wiki and Steve Coppell sum it up perfectly...

Favours the transfer window to be scrapped in favour of the previous system, where deals could be struck throughout the season until the closing weeks.[37] Coppell said that the transfer window breeds panic and encourages "scurrilous" transfer activity adding that "I cannot see the logic in a transfer window. It brings on a fire-sale mentality, causes unrest via the media and means clubs buy too many players" adding that "The old system, where if you had a problem you could look at loans or make a short-term purchase, was far better than this system we have at the moment".[38]Former England Manager Sven-Göran Erikssonhas also questioned the value of the transfer window, commenting: "You do wonder at times if it is right to have a window, it was easier when it was open all the time and perhaps fairer for the players. I am sure much of the business being done on the last day is a little bit desperate and that is not right. 

But what's the alternative? I don't really remember a time without a transfer window but surely you just get big teams taking players whenever they like. Plucking them when they show a bit of form at any point in the season.

Surely the window at least confines the stresses and the turning of heads to a known period of time. Therefore allowing the players to concentrate on football during most of the season.

Without a window they could be told to move at any time? Surely that creates  more stress on them and their families.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

But what's the alternative? I don't really remember a time without a transfer window but surely you just get big teams taking players whenever they like. Plucking them when they show a bit of form at any point in the season.

Surely the window at least confines the stresses and the turning of heads to a known period of time. Therefore allowing the players to concentrate on football during most of the season.

Without a window they could be told to move at any time? Surely that creates  more stress on them and their families.

I do, the prices were controlled and you didn’t get panic buys

• Admin

Sadly when there are teams that seem to leave all the business to the last few days even though all summer they claimed the wheels were in motion this is always going to happen

Multiply that by all the teams around and it is chaos !

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fair enough. I can see how it removes the panic buy problem. And I guess without a hard deadline you get less of the hardball from clubs on prices.

When clubs started struggling for cash flow they could just sell a player

Surely with FFP in place, it goes against the transfer window system?

The FA want Clubs to run their businesses professionally and within a structure.

Yet the window creates panic and an inflated market.

It goes against everything they want Clubs to do.

Take into account many foreign players don't understand the FFP system. They see a rich owner an still think he can pay big wages.

Agents are having to explain this all the time to them...they can't get their heads around it.

Which in turn causes frustration on the players part. And often bad choices made.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

When clubs started struggling for cash flow they could just sell a player

Ok. So why was the window brought in in the first place?

The previous system presumably had some flaws or something to fix, or at least something that someone wanted to change, otherwise the window wouldn't have been brought in.

Is it just a classic case of the grass looking really green over there and then getting there and looking back and saying "hang on actually now the grass looks really really green where we were"?

I'm not even defending it really, just genuinely interested in how it used to be.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

The previous system presumably had some flaws or something to fix, or at least something that someone wanted to change, otherwise the window wouldn't have been brought in.

Is it just a classic case of the grass looking really green over there and then getting there and looking back and saying "hang on actually now the grass looks really really green where we were"?

I'm not even defending it really, just genuinely interested in how it used to be.

Fifa 

I like it, and am glad loans are incorperated into the windows. You build your squad in the summer and go with what you have regardless. I remember several years ago the Gas were adrift at the foot of whichever lower division they were in at the time, and loaned about 5 players right on the deadline, which was around end of March. They had a storming finish and stayed up, but it felt like they had cheated, using other clubs players. I realise all their rivals could , and maybe did, do the same but it pissed me right off at the time. 

The only change I would like to see now, is all loans be subject to a recall to their parent club at any time they are needed. This would ensure that clubs couldnt rely solely on  loan players to see out the season, and might make them blood more of their own youngsters, if they cant afford transfer fees. After all, if a player belongs to a club, they should have him at their disposal at all times, even if another club is borrowing him.

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

Surely has to change?

It feels like it's in place purely as Entertainment value for Sky.

Purely Prem focussed.

Was in the car this morning, talksport on, cursing the traffic. The same story came up again and again, Dybala to Spurs is off. I was interested but aside from that didn't enjoy listening to the debate. This same exact story came up at least 5 more times. Meanwhile signing after signing was being confirmed in the EFL but the presenters gave no mention to any other story that didn't involve a 'big six club'.

I fully understand that more people are interested in Premier League clubs and their transfers but to be hearing about no show transfers repetitively really pissed me off for some reason. This proves that news is dwelled over and TalkSport  (who are not the only guilty party)  feel like if a football club is not in the Prem then no one gives a shit about what's going on there. I would be far more interested in hearing about live signings in the Championship than bollocks about one player having a possible transfer to one club.

Once a club is relegated from the Premier League it is seemingly is not worth bothering about.

Why is this?

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

Surely with FFP in place, it goes against the transfer window system?

The FA want Clubs to run their businesses professionally and within a structure.

Yet the window creates panic and an inflated market.

It goes against everything they want Clubs to do.

Take into account many foreign players don't understand the FFP system. They see a rich owner an still think he can pay big wages.

Agents are having to explain this all the time to them...they can't get their heads around it.

Which in turn causes frustration on the players part. And often bad choices made.

FFP was a UEFA invention so they've had plenty of time to get used to it. "Foreign players don't understand it". Bigger issue I'd say is non European/UK owners either not understanding or disregarding it.

58 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because managers would panic buy ‘during’ the season. Managers were always complaining about the fact a bigger club could come in at anytime looking to buy your star players,  often with only a dozen games left in the season. This often had the effect of teams falling away on a promotion challenge etc. 

Can you imagine us having a 20 goal striker, pushing for promotion, then Liverpool coming in and signing him in March, that’s the sort of thing that the transfer window stopped. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP was a UEFA invention so they've had plenty of time to get equated with it.

You'd think so... however footballers tend not to know the politics, they need their financial advisors and Agents to educate them.

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Because managers would panic buy ‘during’ the season. Managers were always complaining about the fact a bigger club could come in at anytime looking to buy your star players,  often with only a dozen games left in the season. This often had the effect of teams falling away on a promotion challenge etc. 

It would be even worse now because of the differences in finances, if we were flying can you imagine our nearest rivals who happen to be a bigger club would just pick off our best players and we’d miss out!  

The window isn’t perfect at all but at least it contains things to a period of time.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

You'd think so... however footballers tend not to know the politics, they need their financial advisors and Agents to educate them.

This is true of course but same surely goes for UK players too? Our market in recent years has been very expensive.

To also add, it's the Sheikhs at Man City and PSG.

While at our level it's Chansiri at Sheffield Wednesday (Thailand), Reading's owner (China IIRC), it was Fernandes at QPR (Malaysia), Birmingham's owners (China or Hong Kong) and Aston Villa's owners (Xia- China, an idiot and ... new ones Egypt and USA)

Plus Mel Morris Derby's owner from-er- Derby (well like Asia is the East it is the East Midlands) who are largely to blame of late.

I'd like to say if you can't abide by UK-Euro football norms and governance you're not welcome to own a club here but doubtless it'd be illegal.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Which is what I suspected. @Monkeh suggested otherwise.

I've found a decent looking summary on the Guardian's knowledge section https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/feb/01/the-knowledge-premier-league-transfer-window. It's from 2012 but should still be correct. Essentially saupports what most have said on here - that the idea was mooted to stop the pressures discussed, and found backing from the European Commission.

"Finally, in September 1999, Uefa announced plans for a standardised transfer window running for six weeks from mid-December to the end of January, though the issue of agents wasn't the key one in Uefa's thinking. The general secretary Gerhard Aigner insisted a common window was crucial to stop clubs from augmenting their squads in mid-competition. "The benefits are obvious," he said. "One is that a team starting a competition will stay together for at least part of it."

England and Germany united in opposition, with the length of the winter window a sticking point. [Premier League CEO at the time Peter] Leaver's dismissal in March 1999 had considerably shifted the Premier League's position.

Then in the summer of 2000 the process was handed the mother of all jump-starts from the European Commission. Under pressure to scrap the entire transfer system (which was accused of breaching the Treaty of Rome), Fifa put forward a three-point compromise package to stave off the impending dismantling, one prong of which was the introduction of transfer windows, essentially designed to curb to some extent the post-Bosman freedom enjoyed by players (other proposals included one-season contracts for all players and compensation for players aged under 24).

By mid-October a biannual transfer window had been agreed by all the European countries apart from England in order to keep the transfer system intact and in March 2001 the European Commission agreed to the proposals. So by 2001 things had turned full circle, with Uefa now urging the Premier League to accept the new transfer rules.

Eventually the system we know today was introduced in 2002-03. "The English clubs did not want it, they were very happy with the existing system but, due to no fault of our own, we have had thrust upon us a new system which makes life more difficult," said the Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein in August 2002. "We were robustly opposed to it but were advised by Uefa that we had to comply and we have no alternative but to comply against our will." A very different position to the one taken by the Premier League's big beasts back in the 1990s."

Archived