IGNORED

Window-we doffed it

Alwaystomorrow

2 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

So, no new striker and no replacement for Webster. Despite all the manic activity, we screwed up the window. No plan B when the Arsenal kid joined Leeds. What a cock up.

Chin up, always tomorrow

I’m starting to feel that the Nagy deal announcement was held over until today to make it look like we had a transfer day incoming.  If anyone else was coming they would be at the Gate by now for a medical in time for the 5pm deadline.  I’m sure the press would be speculating but instead there’s silence.  I think we will be going with what we’ve got until January.

12 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I dont know if you know how the transfer window works but we now have to wait til January and not tomorrow ?

Sorry, I couldnt resist. 

Eh, if it all goes tits up for the Geordies we could be signing Andy Carroll tomorrow. 

53 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Decent? We have recruited in positions which weren't priority.

do you really think LJ will be satisfied with the  window? 

If he is honest, he won't be satisfied but he will put a brave face on, of course.

Before the window we needed a goalkeeper, a right back, a centre half and a striker. Most wanted centre mids.

We've signed players in all of those positions except for a striker. 

Losing webster was a spanner in the works but we can't turn down 20 million regardless of if we replaced him or not.

So... Decent. Not great. But decent.

You make it sound like nothing has happened in the window, do you honestly think that negotiations haven't been taking place all through this window?

Whether the right avenues have been explored is another matter, but I highly doubt a lack of effort from all those involved.

With one very notable exception I think we have had a decent transfer window. We so much needed a striker, but that aside we’ve done good business, although only time will tell just how good.

Our outgoing business was first class with superb fees being realised for LK and AW. Would have preferred to have seen more players depart, but this of course can still happen if we off -load to league one/two clubs. Again, a number of decent loans have been set-up, which will provide the next generation with experience. 

Incomings are all players I know nothing about (other than what I’ve read on here) but for most their fee, age, pedigree and potential bode well and I’m looking forward to seeing them in action.

Other than up front we now have competition all over the pitch and plenty of options. We have not abandoned the sustainable approach which has served us well.

There will be loads of posts on here, no doubt, that focus on the failure to strengthen our goal scoring threat, that certainly is a concern, however, overall I’m pleased with what’s been achieved.

It’s a 6/10 window for me, you can’t deny we’ve made some serious business and done well on fees. The midfield additions were exactly what we needed but no Webster replacement and no striker (which was the headline from MA that we would get one) is very, very disappointing. Think it’s another mid table season now because once again we just won’t score enough goals.

Archived