IGNORED

Mark Ashton (Merged)

AshtonRobin21

1 minute ago, man in the middle said:

Only playing devils advocate and asking the question, don’t give yourself a heart attack !!

Don't get touchy mate my ticker is just fine ?

I appreciate you're just putting it out there, what i'm saying is there are so many LJ arselickers on here that anything negative that happens is put at someone else's door even when LJ is part of the process - and maybe even part of the problem, who knows.

Bloody good window for incomings apart from the last 48 hours and maybe will will never know what happened with that "proven no 9" but I would hazard a guess that something inexplicable happened as Ashton is made from the same Teflon as our coach.

2 minutes ago, keflav said:

why thankyou for speculating about my age, my school days are long behind me and perhaps you need to get a sense of humour....

possibly- I'll work on it.

In the meantime, I suggest you work on your sense of reality in what is a spectacular window involving around £30,000,000.00 expenditure.

I do apologise about the age thing- I mistook you for a petulant youngster not knowing any better..... not someone so old that you've lost your memory of BCFC transfer history.

6 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Er

Hate to break it to you but we finished higher than we have in sometime without this mythical multigoal wonder striker.

Indeed we do better without one at this level.

Er.

Hate to break this to you but we were toothless and dropping down the table like a stone last season when it really mattered by playing with a team packed with midfielders and a single 1 in 3 striker at home  and..

Er

We were absolutely shite playing the LJ way on Sunday and I would suggest that most people on here (clearly not you) think we would do a bit better by either playing with someone up top alongside Fammy or play someone with more intelligence and movement up the middle like Weiman..

The other obvious point being that the professionals who run the club actually disagreed with you didn't they as they thought a new 9 was key.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

possibly- I'll work on it.

In the meantime, I suggest you work on your sense of reality in what is a spectacular window involving around £30,000,000.00 expenditure.

I do apologise about the age thing- I mistook you for a petulant youngster not knowing any better..... not someone so old that you've lost your memory of BCFC transfer history.

I know my BCFC history you don't have to worry about that.... perhaps I am old enough and will bow to your obviously far superior knowledge than anyone else on here...?

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Don't get touchy mate my ticker is just fine ?

I appreciate you're just putting it out there, what i'm saying is there are so many LJ arselickers on here that anything negative that happens is put at someone else's door even when LJ is part of the process - and maybe even part of the problem, who knows.

Bloody good window for incomings apart from the last 48 hours and maybe will will never know what happened with that "proven no 9" but I would hazard a guess that something inexplicable happened as Ashton is made from the same Teflon as our coach.

LJ’s job is to train and improve the players available, SL’s is the money man and MA’s is recruitment so I think he has a big part to play in failed transfers. Just putting it out there that he may be incapable of getting the top players needed to push on. Maybe we need a man with bigger connections, 

1 hour ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

"It is a priority. 

I would like to think we might have one in for Sunday v Leeds, but definitely before the 8th we have to have a nine in, it is absolutely key.

"We need a proven nine because we need more goals in the team."

Now I'm a sceptic by nature when it comes to City - so many false dawns in the past three or more decades - and despite my match day enthusiasm I've been called out for being negative on here in the past. But I'd defy anyone not to be a tad deflated if you agreed with Ashton when he said that we needed a 'proven nine', and took him at his word that he'd deliver...and didn't.

Barring late miracles, and despite all the good signings, I confess to feeling a tad deflated. 

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

Including loan signings I don't make it that many but I am not sure anyone could say there's a lot of rubbish on this list 

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

19. Adam Matthews (twice).

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

53. Pedro Pereira

54. Adam Nagy

Looking at that list, I'd say the vast majority of Ashton's signings have been duds or no-hopers.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because one is one of the top up and coming young players in france

one has got over 33 caps and has played in the euros and one has loads of top flight experience in  Italy

David James played 53 times for England including in the World Cup and he was shit, and one is a 18 year old kid who’s played a handful of senior game, I’ve seen enough players come and go, some are good others end up to be rubbish. I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve seen them play in the flesh a few times. 

5 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

LJ’s job is to train and improve the players available, SL’s is the money man and MA’s is recruitment so I think he has a big part to play in failed transfers. Just putting it out there that he may be incapable of getting the top players needed to push on. Maybe we need a man with bigger connections, 

Maybe we need a coach with a better reputation.

Just saying "I want that one" doesn't mean that Ashton can bring the player in. A well advised and talented player will have options and may actually decide that Bristol City doesn't play the way he wants - may even have played against us in the past and not taken a liking to the man on the touchline.

Who knows ? I'm just putting that out there.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Now I'm a sceptic by nature when it comes to City - so many false dawns in the past three or more decades - and despite my match day enthusiasm I've been called out for being negative on here in the past. But I'd defy anyone not to be a tad deflated if you agreed with Ashton when he said that we needed a 'proven nine', and took him at his word that he'd deliver...and didn't.

Barring late miracles, and despite all the good signings, I confess to feeling a tad deflated. 

Deflated is exactly how I’m feeling. Shame as I’ve been buzzing all summer about this season!

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Looking at that list, I'd say the vast majority of Ashton's signings have been duds or no-hopers.

He didn't identify them though did he ?

That was the head coach and Ashton delivered what the head coach wanted

Always Ashton's fault it seems.

Not saying he's the dogs bollocks but it annoys me when LJ is seen as the victim when nobody knows what happened.

5 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

David James played 53 times for England including in the World Cup and he was shit, and one is a 18 year old kid who’s played a handful of senior game, I’ve seen enough players come and go, some are good others end up to be rubbish. I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve seen them play in the flesh a few times. 

No point in arguing with you you clear haven’t got a grasp of reality 

this is a frisky old thread isn't it ?

we are about to sign Afobe and it looks like Pack is off to Baaaadifff (which will please some on here!)

Reality is we have 12 new players in the squad. let's see where we are in 10 games, 20 games etc. 

I expect us to do rather nicely.

46 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If we're signing Afobe I suddenly feel less deflated than I previously did...a late miracle, seemingly.

Sorry. Don’t get all the down on Mark Ashton. Never been a great fan myself but can you imagine when he had that phone call telling him Nketiah was going to Leeds? I know what I was saying. As for not turning up at the medical. Really? Think the bloke needs to take a good look at himself. Never wished injury on any player and won’t now. Wouldn’t imagine Arsenal were over the moon with his antics. 

4 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

"It is a priority. 

I would like to think we might have one in for Sunday v Leeds, but definitely before the 8th we have to have a nine in, it is absolutely key.

"We need a proven nine because we need more goals in the team."

And we have one.

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Maybe we need a coach with a better reputation.

Just saying "I want that one" doesn't mean that Ashton can bring the player in. A well advised and talented player will have options and may actually decide that Bristol City doesn't play the way he wants - may even have played against us in the past and not taken a liking to the man on the touchline.

Who knows ? I'm just putting that out there.

I think some of these new signings are from a solid background, 3 unknown in a City shirt, but useful footballing credentials it seems. I though have a concern as to whether LJ can get the best out of this promising influx from both here and abroad- his track record work players from a higher level or club is mixed!

Someone else in the thread appointment mentions a manager with contacts. LJ has done very well dealing with Chelsea but that aside what can he fall back on?

At a solid let alone a high-level and I don't mean in terms of a 'show me your medals'.

Example. Derby with Lampard- unproven as a manager but English young players look up to him, and throw in the Chelsea connection and it opens doors.

Then we have them building on it-Cocu. Different doors but impressive ones nonetheless! He can tap into Man City- played alongside Pep, he was a fairly prestigious Dutch player- Lampard effect maybe there, especially from PSV where he made his name.

Ex PSV players he worked with, the link with Locadia an example. Ex PSV contacts- probably a decent part of the reason why they loaned Dowell ahead of Huddersfield. Possibly even could tap into some Barcelona fringe (OK far fringe!) or more likely young players. Shrewd appointment!

Bielsa at Leeds. Tbh as soon as I heard that they were in for Nketiah I had a bad feeling!

He has mixed reviews on here but him and his philosophy are highly thought of in the game I feel. Orta knowing Emeru just added to it.

Then add in how highly rated he is by Martino, Pep, Pochettino, Simeone- that opens all manner of doors. Opens them up to South American talent too perhaps, be it younger or more established.

My main point these examples illustrate is that LJ doesn't know the game so well at the higher levels.

May help explain his aversion to 4-3-3, a Weimann as the central striker, and it's not his fault as he doesn't have the high level stuff to fall back on- let alone the contacts that are increasingly invaluable these days. I certainly still back him but he seems to lack in a lot of these areas.

Archived