IGNORED

Jamie Paterson - Confirmed - Derby on Loan

Whites

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

IMO we could get rid of Pato, O'Dowda, Watkins, Adelakun, and Walsh and wouldn't really miss them 

These 2 young players had severe injury problems last season, and I'd certainly like to see more of Walsh before binning him.

We must have seen something in Hakeeb to sign him but he's had no real opportunities to show it yet.

Mind you with all the signings LJ's making you'd think these 2, and many others, must be getting restless at AG.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

These 2 young players had severe injury problems last season, and I'd certainly like to see more of Walsh before binning him.

We must have seen something in Hakeeb to sign him but he's had no real opportunities to show it yet.

Mind you with all the signings LJ's making you'd think these 2, and many others, must be getting restless at AG.

I don't think either have had enough of a chance to show what they could do, Walsh could have a future here, but I don't think LJ rates Adelakun. 

I think Walsh could do with a loan move with an option to recall in January if we're signing Massengo though. 

Adelakun I don't think will ever get a chance here, Portsmouth would be a great move for him, they've just lost Lowe & he's very good at that level. 

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I don't think either have had enough of a chance to show what they could do, Walsh could have a future here, but I don't think LJ rates Adelakun. 

I think Walsh could do with a loan move with an option to recall in January if we're signing Massengo though. 

Adelakun I don't think will ever get a chance here, Portsmouth would be a great move for him, they've just lost Lowe & he's very good at that level. 

Due to his injury setting him back terminally as far as a career at AG is concerned, or have they just decided he's not good enough after all?

Where would Walsh go on loan - too good for L1 imo., and what Championship club would want him after failing to break through here?

If we 'store' players (on good wages btw.) for a year or 2 and hardly play them, then their careers, and reputations in the game can only regress, and their suitors and value to the club will be reduced.

Wasn't Paterson one of many who could do no wrong two seasons ago and then had a serious injury and never got his form back? The season when we reached the semi finals, were in second place at Christmas and then bombed in the new year. We had quite a few out through injury and the strain on the remaining players became too much to keep up the pace.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That doesn't answer my question!

However, it does seem plausible that Paterson might be one to go given the arrival of Smzodics, Palmer and Massengo.  That said, he got game time yesterday and I thought he did OK.

Prefer to see Pack move on...Massengo is a defensive midfielder ,(replacement) ?

2 minutes ago, vicky10 said:

Prefer to see Pack move on...Massengo is a defensive midfielder ,(replacement) ?

LJ said in an interview he sees him as an attacking midfielder, don't think he means CAM, but a cm in a 2 who will get forward, very much been described as box to box before. He did however say he'd want a CDM as well.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That doesn't answer my question!

However, it does seem plausible that Paterson might be one to go given the arrival of Smzodics, Palmer and Massengo.  That said, he got game time yesterday and I thought he did OK.

Too much illogical decisions at City. If Pato is going, why did he come on as sub? Why not Szmodics instead?

Why did O'Dowda start?

Is he keeping Matt Taylor? Because he believes he is good enough to get 10-15 goals this season?

Why an 18 year old midfielder for £8 million from Monaco?

Where are the midfield general and fox in the box?

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Too much illogical decisions at City. If Pato is going, why did he come on as sub? Why not Szmodics instead?

Why did O'Dowda start?

Is he keeping Matt Taylor? Because he believes he is good enough to get 10-15 goals this season?

Why an 18 year old midfielder for £8 million from Monaco?

Where are the midfield general and fox in the box?

Partly it seems because the fans have got a loud and popular song for him.

Wish they'd come up with a good one for Walsh after that Stoke game, perhaps we'd have seen more of him. :whistle2:

We have far to many midfield players at the moment.

Smith

Brownhill

Pack

Brownhill  (duplication)

O'dowda

Walsh

Watkins

Palmer

Adelakun

Szmodics

Eliason

Paterson

Bakinson

(Also Weiman and Semenyo who are strikers/forwards but tend to be played in wide roles)

13-15 players with possible more incoming for just 4-5 slots.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We have far to many midfield players at the moment.

Smith

Brownhill

Pack

Brownhill

O'dowda

Walsh

Watkins

Palmer

Adelakun

Szmodics

Eliason

Paterson

Bakinson

(Also Weiman and Semenyo who are strikers/forwards but tend to be played in wide roles)

13-15 players with possible more incoming for just 4-5 slots.

Surely we don't need both the Brownhill twins?

28 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Smith

Brownhill

Pack

O'dowda

Walsh

Watkins

Palmer

Adelakun

Szmodics

Eliason

Paterson

Bakinson

CM's

I'd say we're only 3 players heavy potentially in Bakinson, Watkins and Adelakun. Bakinson could yet be loaned out but while Korey is injured would we risk it? You do have players like Weimann who can play wing as well but if you were writing down a list you'd put him as a striker. 

CM

1. Smith
  2. Pack
  3. Brownhill
  4. Walsh
  5. Bakinson

Wingers

1. O'Dowda
  2. Eliasson
  3. Paterson
  4. Watkins 
  5. Adelakun 

CAM

1. Palmer
  2. Szmodics

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Due to his injury setting him back terminally as far as a career at AG is concerned, or have they just decided he's not good enough after all?

Where would Walsh go on loan - too good for L1 imo., and what Championship club would want him after failing to break through here?

If we 'store' players (on good wages btw.) for a year or 2 and hardly play them, then their careers, and reputations in the game can only regress, and their suitors and value to the club will be reduced.

I don’t think Johnson feels he’s good enough, we’d surely have seen more of him by now if he did. Shame cause I banged on about him for a while on here, liked how direct he was & got quite a few assists/goals every season in an average Scunthorpe side. 

Walsh probably would be too good for League One, but a good few months starting every game would be beneficial to him imo. Hasn’t played much in the last couple of years at all. 

43 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Two seasons ago I really thought there was a stage just before Christmas when he was one of the best players in the league. 

Sadly his form has been pretty awful since then. Not sure what went wrong? 

Simple answer. He was played centrally and given a free role behind Bobby Reid. After Christmas and Fammy's return, he has been played wide left and sporadically since. Just like Weimann was prior to Fammy's return for the first six games of the season last year, a revelation centrally, just above average because of his energy, when played out wide.

32 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I don’t think Johnson feels he’s good enough, we’d surely have seen more of him by now if he did. Shame cause I banged on about him for a while on here, liked how direct he was & got quite a few assists/goals every season in an average Scunthorpe side. 

Walsh probably would be too good for League One, but a good few months starting every game would be beneficial to him imo. Hasn’t played much in the last couple of years at all. 

Scunthorpe? Who Pato?

Thought it Walsall, correct me if I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

Wingers and creative players are often labelled inconsistent.  It's a bit lazy sometimes, beating opponents is difficult so not everything will come off and if your team has low possession you're accused of being absent.

Pato has always impressed me because for a creative player he works bloody hard off the ball and closes down extremely well.

Yes he can make mistakes in possession and sometimes is over elaborate or goes one step too far before passing, but I think he's one of the more consistent creative players and I'd keep him.

I'm quite surprised there's speculation he's leaving, I'd imagine it would only happen if we had had a decent offer not as some sort of cull.

We could lose plenty of other players first before Pato needed to go IMO.

He’s ‘over elaborate’ every time he has the ball

Just now, Carey 6 said:

Apologies mate, gone a bit off topic and discussing Adelakun.

Ah, that'll teach me to actually read through the thread in its entirety. Thought I'd lost the plot for a second. ?

2 minutes ago, INB Red said:

He’s ‘over elaborate’ every time he has the ball

Very similar to Freeman really. I think the key difference is Luke actually had a bit more presence about him and a better work ethic (at least tracking his runners and getting back to help the defence).

4 hours ago, Bristol is red said:

Patersons biggest problem is he just holds onto the ball too long or tries to take everyone on himself. If he cuts that out and was abit more streetwise with the ball you'd see an instant improvement with him.  

If the penny finally drops for him he could be a very good player.

Is he smart enough to work this out? His free kick did my nut in. The wall was 8 yards off the line so very difficult to curl over. He had Brownhill to his right and if he squared it he would have had a direct shot goal taking the 5 man wall out of the equation. Oh no he trys to curl it!!!

Archived