IGNORED

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

WRERE

24 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Great point.

Why oh why have the club have invested over £10m in the pair of them without doing their homework. To sign players they’ve never heard of or seen play. Whatever next. Shambles, innit me old mukka.

The point I'm making is it takes time for players....especially foreign players... to settle 

They are in the deep end now and HAVE to hit the ground running. At least if we had Pack we could slowly introduce them 

Huge gamble by LJ

To slow for a high pressing game and always looking for the Hollywood ball. Last season against Leeds I thought his legs had gone, far too slow. And Sunday he was the same. At 28 it's a good time to get rid of. 

Good servant for the club and great in our promotion season but we need better.

15 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

I can only think he has been told he will no longer be first choice one the two midfielders joined and decided to move on rather than fight for his place? 

Or perhaps Cardiff approached and we said ok but we need to sign replacement first??

As others have said money signing on fee, goodbye bonus from club means the bank balance is looking good.

I feel similar to when Cole Skuse left. Not too fussed.

So good luck Marlon all the best. 

Don’t go putting possible scenario’s on the table when certain posters want to believe that everything has been done off the cuff cos that Ashton don’t know what he’s gert doing?

2 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

To slow for a high pressing game and always looking for the Hollywood ball. Last season against Leeds I thought his legs had gone, far too slow. And Sunday he was the same. At 28 it's a good time to get rid of. 

I agree the time is right. 

If he wasn't (hadn't been) our player there's no way we would be interested in buying him. 

1 minute ago, Elruliri said:

I did think the last third of last season he looked played out. I half wonder if our rather half hearted efforts over the last few weeks have been at least partly based on they had picked up a lot of changes were in the pipeline.

Good player, but never really seemed to be part of a midfield that flourished at the higher levels. 

Think this is like Flint, a season later I’ll still appreciate his abilities, but realise his limitations for us. 

25 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Why do you need to have seen them play? To give your approval.?

:laugh: what? **** me. 

How about because it will take time for these players to bed in. Are they gonna be good enough? 

The point I'm making is we just sold our captain. If these players don't hit the ground running we have no full back player to bring in

Surprised that @Harry hasn’t posted yet,  but a few thoughts. 

I think he’s the sort of player you appreciate when he’s no longer around.

Fee no way as low as £750k surely. 

Got himself a 3 yr deal on what I’d imagine would be better money than here. 

Spends every day with Flinty. 

Couldnt give a flying one if it’s Cardiff and he taps his head. 

Will be applauded by me on his return for all he achieved with us. 

Fair play to him. 

Thank you Marlon you have been an excellent servant and pro. Right move for BCFC and the player IMO.

Given the loan of Pato too we will see a very different and I hope more creative midfield......with the midfield options we now have we will be better able to make telling team selections and substitutions.

I think, for sometime, we have become too bogged down and predictable in the middle of the pitch, times I hope are a changing. 

Been offline the last couple of hours and can't believe what I have missed.

I am absolutely ******* over the moon with this news, what a great window this has been, how much have we sold him for? He has been the weak link for quite a while, I don't even care it's Cardiff I'm just delighted he's gone. 

Actually surprised by most of the comments on this thread.

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Surprised that @Harry hasn’t posted yet,  but a few thoughts. 

I think he’s the sort of player you appreciate when he’s no longer around.

Fee no way as low as £750k surely. 

Got himself a 3 yr deal on what I’d imagine would be better money than here. 

Spends every day with Flinty. 

Couldnt give a flying one if it’s Cardiff and he taps his head. 

Will be applauded by me on his return for all he achieved with us. 

Fair play to him. 

Harry is probably crying into his Marlon shrine. 

In all seriousness a good bloke but severely limited.

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not at all. Against Leeds, you could clearly see that Marlon's playing style slows us down as an attacking force. He has been a great servant to our club. Perfect timing before he receives stick from the fans this season. A player respected. Never outstay your stay imo

I think Pack is very prone to swings in form. He's never been fast - that's not his game. But when he's at his best, he delivers crossfield passes that amaze with their precision. Leeds was not a good game for him (or us), and I wanted him subbed and was frustrated he wasn't because there was no MF option to replace him. BUT, I'd still have kept him and let him fight for his place. It's not as if we got much dosh for the guy. 

15 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Don't see it that way. we wan't to go forward the energy the new boys are bringing in is exiting no?

Might not work out but worth a go Pack and Pats good players but next level?

All depends if they work out, SK.  not all exciting prospects work out: some are Ryan Kents, Lois Dionys or Alvaro Saborios!

With foreign signings who have never played in the UK, you have an added degree of uncertainty. 

Fingers crossed, but I'd have played safety first regarding Pack. There's a lot of dead wood we're paying who mysteriously avoided departing. Wages should've been saved there.

28 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

A kid in amongst other kids. Doesn’t mean to say he’s going to be that person now though

He was certainly the most vocal player of the back 4 Sunday, he appeared to be asking Kalas to move in tighter and to cover when he moved forward. 

I also think he was partly responsible for highlighting Packs poor body position, giving him good passes if Pack had been facing forward, or at least in a position to turn. Pack though had slipped into “passback/look back mode” and couldn’t do anything pass it back to him or Kalas.

Its not about age it’s about character and trust, Gerry Gow was the most senior player among a team of older players at 17. For a short period Tommy Doherty led a team of experienced pros.

The experienced players are happy if they trust them.

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I heard we had sold him for 6mil.

But some bloke on Twitter said 750k.......and people believed it :laughcont:

"But Bristol City manager Lee Johnson said the offer from Cardiff was too good to turn down."

Hearing that pack didn’t want to go was forced to as on the most and had to cut back.. sure happy he got more money... but actually didn’t want to leave... hence why Walsh or bakinson didn’t go out on loan as pack was dragging his heels...

believe the other 2 will go out on loan though to league 1

End of an era with Packy and Pato off. Both good lads and a great loss to the dressing room.

Saw Marlon at Plainmoor ages back when he scored an absolute worldie free kick for Chelts. Flagged up on here worth a punt. Great servant and some memorable seasons.

Think it was time to move on for both though. Packy needs a fresh challenge, had gone a bit stale here. Pato’s Inconsistency was a real choker for us. 

Interesting who’s decision this was. Got a feeling that Ashton is becoming more influential in the set up, given his (relative) successes in the transfer market.

Do I detect a bit of ‘petulant child’ behaviour’ from Lee? At a guess, don’t think the US trip was his idea, the bombshell that we were shipping out his favourites  - I assume before the Palace match - I suspect went down like a lead ballon. 

Interesting times. Massive gambles as viewed by an outsider - hopefully those ITK know better.

Just can’t help but feel not getting a fast, nippy striker and pacey centre back is going to cost us, possibly big time. 

Archived