IGNORED

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

WRERE

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If Pack didn't want to leave I'd be interested in who exactly wanted him to go...and why? He takes a great deal of character with him.

You can't sign 12 new players and not move some on.  We had too many midfield players and Cardiff made an offer for Marlon that was too good to refuse.  Cardiff is close to hs home, and he’s getting a pay rise.  All seems a bit of a no-brainer to me.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He’s 28 and wants to play first team football, in the space of 3 days he’s found himself 4th choice soon to become 5th choice when Korey is back,

cardiff come in with a bid that’s too good to turn down 6 mill according to some, that’s a hell of a profit on a player who is 4th choice

Wrong 

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He’s 28 and wants to play first team football, in the space of 3 days he’s found himself 4th choice soon to become 5th choice when Korey is back,

cardiff come in with a bid that’s too good to turn down 6 mill according to some, that’s a hell of a profit on a player who is 4th choice

We got £6m for Pack??!

As regular posters will know, I am a big fan of Pack, but I’ve also written on here numerous times that if we are able to upgrade him then I am open to that. No one is irreplaceable but I always felt that Marlon was an integral part of our team - LJ has almost built the team around him, our style of play has revolved around the ball going through Pack, and we naturally played a mid-tempo game.  Pack’s qualities were most evident when Reid played up front. His qualities are his vision and passing (no matter what people say, it’s true) and when he had an intelligent mover infront of him he was able to locate incisive forward passes. 

Pack’s defensive qualities are also hugely underestimated by his detractors. Very very rarely did we get opened up down the middle when he was in the strict DM role. He protected the CB’s very well. 

Defensive solidity, passing ability, bravery on the ball, organisation - he was a very important part of this team. There aren’t many players who are happy to receive the ball off the defence or keeper when he’s under pressure facing his own goal and be able to have the bravery, ability and strength to retain possession. 

He had his weaknesses too. Pace being the blindingly obvious one. If Pack had pace then he’d have been playing in the Premier league. 

As I said many times though, if an upgrade were available at a good price then I am happy to see Pack move on. This Nagy chap, certainly on paper, looks to be an upgrade and at a good price. Time will tell but if that’s the case, then that’s all good. 

Again, on paper, a central midfield pair of Nagy & Massengo looks very exciting and an improvement on a Pack/Brownhill pairing. Looking at the traits of these 2 newbies I’d guess that we may see a change in style of our play. As said before, Pack being the fulcrum meant we played most of our build up through him. These 2 newbs, plus Afobe seems to suggest a much quicker tempo, both on and off the ball, so we may see a very different City. 

That’s the hope anyway. 

I’m a big fan of Pack, but he wasn’t irreplaceable. Contrary to popular opinion, he’s been a bloody good player for 6 years and people should respect that. Contrary to popular opinion he didn’t always pass it backwards, he didn’t always lose the ball, he didn’t always hit Hollywood passes, he didn’t always lose his runner etc etc. He was a very firm and influential player in our team for 6 years, which saw year on year improvement. 

I’d like to wish him well, but I can’t. Cardiff are *****. 

We have seen the final departure in the evolution of the team. Hopefully we didn’t get rid of him too soon, but I’m excited about the evolution and Nagy, Massengo, Afobe look to be offering a very different style of football. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

As regular posters will know, I am a big fan of Pack, but I’ve also written on here numerous times that if we are able to upgrade him then I am open to that. No one is irreplaceable but I always felt that Marlon was an integral part of our team - LJ has almost built the team around him, our style of play has revolved around the ball going through Pack, and we naturally played a mid-tempo game.  Pack’s qualities were most evident when Reid played up front. His qualities are his vision and passing (no matter what people say, it’s true) and when he had an intelligent mover infront of him he was able to locate incisive forward passes. 

Pack’s defensive qualities are also hugely underestimated by his detractors. Very very rarely did we get opened up down the middle when he was in the strict DM role. He protected the CB’s very well. 

Defensive solidity, passing ability, bravery on the ball, organisation - he was a very important part of this team. There aren’t many players who are happy to receive the ball off the defence or keeper when he’s under pressure facing his own goal and be able to have the bravery, ability and strength to retain possession. 

He had his weaknesses too. Pace being the blindingly obvious one. If Pack had pace then he’d have been playing in the Premier league. 

As I said many times though, if an upgrade were available at a good price then I am happy to see Pack move on. This Nagy chap, certainly on paper, looks to be an upgrade and at a good price. Time will tell but if that’s the case, then that’s all good. 

Again, on paper, a central midfield pair of Nagy & Massengo looks very exciting and an improvement on a Pack/Brownhill pairing. Looking at the traits of these 2 newbies I’d guess that we may see a change in style of our play. As said before, Pack being the fulcrum meant we played most of our build up through him. These 2 newbs, plus Afobe seems to suggest a much quicker tempo, both on and off the ball, so we may see a very different City. 

That’s the hope anyway. 

I’m a big fan of Pack, but he wasn’t irreplaceable. Contrary to popular opinion, he’s been a bloody good player for 6 years and people should respect that. Contrary to popular opinion he didn’t always pass it backwards, he didn’t always lose the ball, he didn’t always hit Hollywood passes, he didn’t always lose his runner etc etc. He was a very firm and influential player in our team for 6 years, which saw year on year improvement. 

We have seen the final departure in the evolution of the team. Hopefully we didn’t get rid of him too soon, but I’m excited about the evolution and Nagy, Massengo, Afobe look to be offering a very different style of football. 

Slim. This is a 7951mil deal though....

For those of you who have said, 'why are you posting constantly differing transfer fees', the reason is simple.

I am making them up as I go along.

For those who 'know' the real transfer fee, please quote it and name the person who gave you the information. You won't be jeopardising the transfer, that's done. And if someone that close to the actual transfer has given you the information and are that important, they won't get sacked.

97BILLION.

(I've gone a bit Swedish this evening).

1 hour ago, Knighty said:

Hearing that pack didn’t want to go was forced to as on the most and had to cut back.. sure happy he got more money... but actually didn’t want to leave... hence why Walsh or bakinson didn’t go out on loan as pack was dragging his heels...

believe the other 2 will go out on loan though to league 1

He didn't drag his heels for long then...

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s the hope anyway. 

Excellent summary and I agree with most of it. Apart from the year on year improvement. On Sunday I thought Marlon I think you've reached your peak, and it may not be good enough if we want to progress as a team.

I wish him well. And hope that along with Aden he can put Cardiff where they belong! ??

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So according to the rumours, we got somewhere between £750k and £6m - interesting ...

The Post saying £750k and Johnson saying it was too good to turn down doesn’t seem to match up.Something doesn’t seem right but after the Chelsea theory I better not start any more conspiracy theories ?

37 minutes ago, Swede said:

I must confess that I am astonished by both sales, and it's a real gamble by the club.

Marlon is captain on the pitch and has become the go to senior player. His influence playing in the "quarterback role, a role LJ designed for him, meant that he was an integral part of Bristol City and a shoe in for every match.

Pato has got so much class, a very intelligent player who runs in between the lines. The one bit of criticism is he lacks consistency, AND he hates Derby!!!

I'm all for improving but with these player's departures very close to one another I feel we've lost our way, and with it our identity, especially as Pack didn't want to leave.

What happens if it takes time for the foreign lads to bed in? It's a hell of a price to pay for blowing up a really good chance of doing something meaningful this season. 

Ultimately I hope I'm proved wrong but I have this nagging doubt . . . 

Absolutely spot on. Our record with foreign players under LJ says they will take time to bed in....

In LJs defence....we were saying similar last year when we lost Flint, Bryan and Reid, and that worked out really well in the end 

I really do think this is it for LJ now though. If there isn't a serious promotion challenge this season I hope he is removed . Might sound very harsh and extreme but this manager has been backed to the hilt since his arrival, he has been given patience and time....this team and the whole set up is now 100% his . No more "he's learning " etc....he has to deliver a serious top 6 challenge this year .

This is a real gamble and the result of it will be on his head...whether that's a successful end or not

I personally believe he could regret letting these two go, however that's simply my opinion .

The next 5 or 6 games will be really interesting that's for sure

Even if Marlon only stood in as a back up to our defensive midfielders this season, it should have been with us and not with bluddy Cardiff. This sale makes no sense at all. We would not get a comparable replacement for the 700k, so you keep this type of player in your own squad. Cardiff are laughing their arses off at us!! Bad move

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely spot on. Our record with foreign players under LJ says they will take time to bed in....

In LJs defence....we were saying similar last year when we lost Flint, Bryan and Reid, and that worked out really well in the end 

I really do think this is it for LJ now though. If there isn't a serious promotion challenge this season I hope he is removed . Might sound very harsh and extreme but this manager has been backed to the hilt since his arrival, he has been given patience and time....this team and the whole set up is now 100% his . No more "he's learning " etc....he has to deliver a serious top 6 challenge this year .

This is a real gamble and the result of it will be on his head...whether that's a successful end or not

I personally believe he could regret letting these two go, however that's simply my opinion .

Can 11 new players and our key CB in Webster and an important midfielder leaving pretty late in the window bring about a serious promotion challenge?

That's a hell of a lot of change to bed in and quickly at that!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can 11 new players and our key CB in Webster and an important midfielder bring about a serious promotion challenge?

A serious playoff tilt yes but top 2? We'll see! That's a hell of a lot of change to bed in and quickly at that.

When I talk promotion challenge I mean top 6. I don't think we are anywhere near good enough for top 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can 11 new players and our key CB in Webster and an important midfielder bring about a serious promotion challenge?

A serious playoff tilt yes but top 2?We'll see! That's a hell of a lot of change to bed in and quickly at that.

Such an important point, you thought it was worth mentioning twice.

I agree, though. It’s been said they’ve been a very tight-knit group for some considerable time, with good team spirit, but that being so, Marlon’s reluctant (some might say forced) departure may not sit comfortably with his former teammates and ten new players is a huge number to integrate quickly.

It’s also been said LJ is a good man manager. He’ll need to be. That’s an awful lot of change and for better or worse it’s a very different changing room now. The dynamics may prove challenging.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A serious playoff tilt yes but top 2? We'll see! That's a hell of a lot of change to bed in and quickly at that.

Very true @Mr Popodopolous , huge amount of change, more than I  imagined. Interesting times, LJ has a lot of work to do to make this work. Given that SL expects play - offs as a minimum, the pressure is truly on.

I actually think that LJ is not bomb proof , nor is the charming Mr Ashton........very surprising day.

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s the hope anyway. 

If only all that were true and we wouldn't have got rid of him. 

On his day he could do some of those things, but could rarely do all of those things.

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I think this as well. He's spent a lot but also the wage bill would've gone up. Maybe the board are thinking that this season is a good time for a promotion push with teams cutting back with FFP and a lot of the top scorers moving out of the championship. If this season pans out like the last few where we have an ok start, fantastic middle and terrible end then it's something to do with the manager as the team is considerably different so can't say it's the players bottling it due to past actions. 

Archived