IGNORED

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

WRERE

Sorry to see him go- had some great moments for us but some not so great - long distinguished service but not a legend by any stretch.

But please please FFS don't say this "great servant shite"- he never ever brought the drinks in on a tray, or served the dinners for the Directors or even answered the bloody door.

He was paid big bucks that we can only dream of and never forget his Dad losing it about Marlon's salary that led to him eventually forcing a  new contract. Very public.

Thanks Marlon- you've been a good employee. Players come players go-.I wish you well .

1 minute ago, Swede said:

I am not sure what you mean?!?! Or am I being slow on the uptake?

Not at all. I am being deliberately belligerent about the transfer window. (Not a dig at you, by the way).

With so many posters describing perceived positives and negatives, it gives me the chance to celebrate the obscure.

They went of that pre season tour, ADDING TO THE CARBON FOOTPRINT, and we got a lackluster performance out of them.

9426q7eMIL!

9 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sorry to see him go- had some great moments for us but some not so great - long distinguished service but not a legend by any stretch.

But please please FFS don't say this "great servant shite"- he never ever brought the drinks in on a tray, or served the dinners for the Directors or even answered the bloody door.

He was paid big bucks that we can only dream of and never forget his Dad losing it about Marlon's salary that led to him eventually forcing a  new contract. Very public.

Thanks Marlon- you've been a good employee. Players come players go-.I wish you well .

Ditto

Not many servants get paid handsomely to run about for a couple of hours a day, to return home to fart around on a PlayStation for a couple of hours, leaving just enough time to update social media before picking the kids up from school. 

after the palace pre season and then the leeds game it seemed to me glaringly obvious that we'd signed a load of players that we already had (albeit on loan) and that very little had changed.

It felt like the MF has gone stale and lacked the creative nous / drive to link play up the field.

Christ alone knows what a french teenage wunderkid and this mystery Hungarian will bring - but hey! lets enjoy the ride.

change is good.

Will miss him (in particular his whole-hearted attitude) and, as an outlet for the back four, he was integral to our play. However there was always the feeling that he wanted too long on the ball and slowed things down. I would wish you well personally Marvin but I certainly don’t wish Cardiff any success with you. 

17 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Will miss him (in particular his whole-hearted attitude) and, as an outlet for the back four, he was integral to our play. However there was always the feeling that he wanted too long on the ball and slowed things down. I would wish you well personally Marvin but I certainly don’t wish Cardiff any success with you. 

Yes, all the best Marvin. 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I suggest you watch him in the next game. Against Leeds he was constantly talking to those around him and encouraging them. 100% captain material.

I hope I don’t because it’ll mean we’ve got a better defender in place. I hope he comes good but at the moment he’s not good enough. 

It really interesting to see these "leaders" leaving the dressing room this summer. Seems to me quite obvious that the team has lacked confident leadership for some time. At least people who believed promotion was a genuine possibility. To me, having thought about it, a proper clear out was essential. Those moved out seem to me to be part of an era willing to accept mediocrity/mid table and it's time to move on!

Maybe I'm wrong and it's all a downgrade when all is said and done but you can't say today was not "bold"!

3 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Even if Marlon only stood in as a back up to our defensive midfielders this season, it should have been with us and not with bluddy Cardiff. This sale makes no sense at all. We would not get a comparable replacement for the 700k, so you keep this type of player in your own squad. Cardiff are laughing their arses off at us!! Bad move

I agree, that I don't get why he couldn't be a squad player. A real tremendous servant to us. I wish him nothing but the very best despite who he has gone too. I hate Cardiff and hope they struggle but one player that I hope shines is Pack. 

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

I agree, that I don't get why he couldn't be a squad player. A real tremendous servant to us. I wish him nothing but the very best despite who he has gone too. I hate Cardiff and hope they struggle but one player that I hope shines is Pack. 

Wages and FFP.

Well, I'm surprised and a little bit disappointed, was watching the BBC website and this didn't come up.  What was the fee?

Good player for us, had his detractors, but I always rated him.  Wish the fella well.

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Fee 6m ?

Taff mate reckons that's what is being touted over the bridge.

And we paid how much - a few hundred?  Nice bit of business.  Still sorry to see him go.

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

i remember a young lad from Cheltenham.........................

Agreed, but we didn’t have a manager at the time who always deflected criticism of himself, by blaming lack of leadership on the pitch.

Where is our solid experienced midfielder that every Championship team has and needs. I’m not knocking the new players, they obviously are good footballers, but in this league you need experience, nous and know how of the league in that central midfield area. 

Can really only judge this transfer on the fee - the £750k quoted would seem a lot more strange than the other extreme quoted £5-6m given the upheaval to the squad and way of playing (i.e. why gamble for peanuts) but I guess this must primarily be to address the wage bill and endorse a changing of the guard.

I've been critical of Pack after several games but only by his own high standards in so far as he's had poor games in the past year where his passing has been sloppy, particularly at home. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the role he plays and we have now created a vacuum with pressure on players to fill it fast.

But with that said, for me it's less about Pack's abilities and more about the players around him (i.e Brownhill) who will be forced to take more responsibility to lead and control the match now without their comfort blanket sitting in behind them. It certainly qualifies as bold and I am more excited than disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

But with that said, for me it's less about Pack's abilities and more about the players around him (i.e Brownhill) who will be forced to take more responsibility to lead and control the match now without their comfort blanket sitting in behind them. It certainly qualifies as bold and I am more excited than disappointed.

Yes. It's the shake up that was needed. I didn't want Marlon to leave necessarily but I couldn't see how all the new signings would affect the system with him still here. 

I know people who will be crying in their cornflakes over this move...but take away the rose tinted glasses and sentimental reasons, we needed a shake up in his position.

Still a good player, but looked stale and not the player of a season ago, when the likes of Pep were purring about him.

Hope he finds his mojo again but not against us.

Archived