IGNORED

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

WRERE

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No, a side that will play more physical football.

A side that uses robust centre midfielders to get a physical advantage over their opponents. 

LJ needs midfielders who are quicker and more energetic, qualities which Marlon doesn’t bring

I’d assume so ,but

If that is the case , why has LJ built his side around MP for the whole of his tenure to date ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If that is the case , why has LJ built his side around MP for the whole of his tenure to date ?

Because he could ‘trust’ him. Glad he’s moved on though personally. Appreciate what he did for us but always found his lack of speed (physical and thought) frustrating. Will work well in a Warnock team though, I reckon. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d assume so ,but

Probably because he was such an integral part of Cotterills side whilst at the same time he was never going to command a big fee so selling him before would have been pointless. 

Now, we’ve moved on and are looking at the play offs, and I don’t see Marlon as a player who will take us there. However, for a lower half championship side (which we were for the first couple of years of LJs reign) he was perfect

9 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Because he could ‘trust’ him. Glad he’s moved on though personally. Appreciate what he did for us but always found his lack of speed (physical and thought) frustrating. Will work well in a Warnock team though, I reckon. 

Possibly 

i didn’t think he was the future , moving forward, and exposed in Leeds game

Sounding to LJs pre match it sounded like he didn’t want to lose him

It would have been interesting to have seen him with Nagy & JB

Have a feeling MP was happy to go and I don’t believe that it was a sudden deadline day move by Warnock

Id be surprised if ex Cotterill teammates didn’t have a hand in a couple of ‘ sounding out ‘ players and transfers  this summer

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Probably because he was such an integral part of Cotterills side whilst at the same time he was never going to command a big fee so selling him before would have been pointless. 

Now, we’ve moved on and are looking at the play offs, and I don’t see Marlon as a player who will take us there. However, for a lower half championship side (which we were for the first couple of years of LJs reign) he was perfect

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No, a side that will play more physical football.

A side that uses robust centre midfielders to get a physical advantage over their opponents. 

LJ needs midfielders who are quicker and more energetic, qualities which Marlon doesn’t bring

Spot on. I feel the same kind of thing about Fam. Would be far better in a different kind of side. Afobe with his ability on the shoulder vital for Palmer or possibly Szmodics. 

Back to Pack, he won't be so much of a deep lying playmaker at Cardiff. He can go long which he likes to do and probably have a more basic role under Warnock, rather than being asked to do too much by LJ getting up and down the pitch.

He can just sit deep and when he gets it ping it out to the Cardiff pacy wingers on the break which was Warnock's game plan last time they got promoted.

With us he didn't like to pass it and move. I never felt he was comfortable receiving the ball unless he was in a lot of space, usually all the way back in our defence.

Seems like Nagy and certainly Brownhill can receive it higher up in tight spaces, and can also get around the pitch better than Pack. Also Korey too if he returns the same player.

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d assume so ,but

He was a model pro and we've never had better midfield options. 

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d assume so ,but

That's a question I've been asking for at least 2 years. Now I like Pack, and I think (like Flint) we have seen him improve steadily over the years , but we have been crying out for a genuine DMF/ball winner for some time. He has never had pace , but the Leeds game really highlighted that. 

28 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Safe pair of hands, may have thrived being able to play 5 yards further forward pulling the strings and not having to worry about chasing runners, and having that DMF behind him. Depending how they play he may well fit right in. Big ball winner at the back with Flint (I saw someone give himMoM yesterday , he fits what you expect with NW), and if they bypass the midfield he can just sit as a shield for the defence. He'll do a job for them, maybe Warnock doesn't have that togetherness in the team that AF and MP can help with.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Possibly 

Have a feeling MP was happy to go and I don’t believe that it was a sudden deadline day move by Warnock

Id be surprised if ex Cotterill teammates didn’t have a hand in a couple of ‘sounding out‘ players and transfers  this summer

Any reason for not believing it Bob?

I was told from a good source that he was in the park with his kid when he got the call!

As a lot of posters have alluded to I think LJ decided now was the time to change the way our midfield operates, swapping Nagy for Pack made us much more dynamic and agile yesterday, hopefully this will lead to a more entertaining brand of football at home as this is where we have been particularly poor for some time now. Will be interesting to see how Massengo is introduced into the team as the noises from the club seem to allude to him being of a similar type i.e. quick feet, able to carry the ball etc.

If Marlon has had a positive impact at Cardiff then it seems to be a good move for all parties, it will no doubt be a lucrative contract he will have signed too. Good luck to him and I'm sure all city fans wish him well other than when we play them.

It also seems as though we have made circa £20m profit on the transfer dealings this summer, albeit the wage bill have increased, hopefully this means if we are in and around the top 6 in January we will finally spend some money wherever it is needed to cement our play-off charge rather than limp to the finish line.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

That's a question I've been asking for at least 2 years. Now I like Pack, and I think (like Flint) we have seen him improve steadily over the years , but we have been crying out for a genuine DMF/ball winner for some time. He has never had pace , but the Leeds game really highlighted that. 

Safe pair of hands, may have thrived being able to play 5 yards further forward pulling the strings and not having to worry about chasing runners, and having that DMF behind him. Depending how they play he may well fit right in. Big ball winner at the back with Flint (I saw someone give himMoM yesterday , he fits what you expect with NW), and if they bypass the midfield he can just sit as a shield for the defence. He'll do a job for them, maybe Warnock doesn't have that togetherness in the team that AF and MP can help with.

All of a sudden with the fees paid for Kelly , Webster and company we were fishing in a different pond .

Upgrades were available and we no longer had need of Pack or Pato who aren’t going to improve. 

Best of luck to both of them incidentally.

5 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

On pack he needed to be moved on and was best for all parties. Whilst we will miss his character, work rate and Ariel presence he is the slowest midfielder in the league pace wise and slowed the play down too much. Johnson rightly identified that and replaced with Nagy to increase our tempo.

What is disappointing is the timing, assuming this wasn’t a knee jerk reaction from the Leeds game (pack was awful) then could we have not shipped out in the summer and got Nagy in earlier? Appreciate it often doesn’t work out like that but pre-season was basically a waste of time not we have changed personnel/formation!

Club legend that was at the heart of a great few years for us but it was time to thank him and move on. Pleased that he’s had a pay rise so will get some sort of payday.

Naggy was never brought in as a Pack replacement, the plan was never to let Marlon go as a result, this all came about very last minute decision following our enquiry for Reid and their question in return re Marlon. 

14 minutes ago, Lez said:

I mean a side that lumps the ball, has no pace, and is very defensive. 

We are defensive, a good side will always have that as a solid base. But we have Mendez Laing, Murphy, junior hoilett and vassell now who all probe with pace. Reid and zohore were also quick but offered little else and struggled to actually score.

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All of a sudden with the fees paid for Kelly , Webster and company we were fishing in a different pond .

Upgrades were available and we no longer had need of Pack or Pato who aren’t going to improve. 

Best of luck to both of them incidentally.

I think the Webster money was the game changer, they could go for the likes of Hagy, Massengo and Pereira and not have to worry as much. They obviously went for THAT striker signing, and in a way I'm not upset upset we ended up with Afobe, looks like there could be understandings forming already. We have lacked movement for some time, with luck and a little time we may have found it, along with the DMF's we have lacked for some time.

21 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

We are defensive, a good side will always have that as a solid base. But we have Mendez Laing, Murphy, junior hoilett and vassell now who all probe with pace. Reid and zohore were also quick but offered little else and struggled to actually score.

You'll probably do fine. Warnock has a way of getting the best from straightforward players and there should be plenty of value left in Pack and Flint. They'll both play better for being in the same team again.

What puzzles me is that you keep coming back for our players (and an ex-player) when we've only beaten you once since 2012.

21 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

If your tactics are the same as last time you went up then it's awful to watch imo. But it could well be successful again. Just bypass the midfield, low possession even at home. But the pace on the wings and power mean you score goals when going direct, but also remain solid by being deep and having a load of big guys behind the ball. Proper anti-football.

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

One simple question, did we miss him yesterday? In my mind it's a resounding no. I never had any moments where I thought damn I wish we had Pack still.

An injury to Nagy or Brownhill and I think we're going to regret it.

Until (hopefully) Korey Smith is back to his former level, we might really miss the backup of Pack's experience in the team/squad.

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

But then we have got HNM.

Yes, and he looks like the real deal but he's young and lightweight.

I'm not against letting Pack go and I thought our midfield was pretty good against Brum but there's a risk to saying a player isn't missed when the whole situation can change very quickly.

One of Pack's great attributes was staying relatively injury free during so many long seasons. We don't know how Nagy or Massengo will hold up under the pressures of Championship football.

Let's hope for the best.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Possibly 

Id be surprised if ex Cotterill teammates didn’t have a hand in a couple of ‘ sounding out ‘ players and transfers  this summer

I know for a fact that one of the reasons he was liked was his mentality and thus he could be ‘trusted’. Not saying it’s the only reason he was played but definitely contributed 

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t know but I’d be very surprised if it came as a shock

I thought his form here had started to plateau, and although Webster’s money came in this summer, I think LJ must’ve considered  some transition in our midfield with signings of Szmodics and Palmer. Webster’s money came through and I suspect Lee would’ve preferred until Jan to bed the new boys in, but we obviously got a good offer.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If your tactics are the same as last time you went up then it's awful to watch imo. But it could well be successful again. Just bypass the midfield, low possession even at home. But the pace on the wings and power mean you score goals when going direct, but also remain solid by being deep and having a load of big guys behind the ball. Proper anti-football.

It’s not for everyone for sure, 10 or so years ago we had Dave Jones whose team had some flair but we never got over the line, even malky mackay who took us up in 2013 served up some really boring football, ending the season with 6 draws I think. 

Luton yesterday, passing it back to the goalie and around there own box all the time, it would kill me to watch that, it’s not beautiful at all, Man City and Barcelona can do it well but few others, total football if you like. 

1 minute ago, Montpelierblue said:

It’s not for everyone for sure, 10 or so years ago we had Dave Jones whose team had some flair but we never got over the line, even malky mackay who took us up in 2013 served up some really boring football, ending the season with 6 draws I think. 

Luton yesterday, passing it back to the goalie and around there own box all the time, it would kill me to watch that, it’s not beautiful at all, Man City and Barcelona can do it well but few others, total football if you like. 

I actually thought your Lot were exciting to watch it 17/18.  Might not have been pretty, but created penalty are action.

Also agree that some of this pass from the back stuff is boring as hell.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

We’ve hardly been setting the style alight for 18 months have we 

3 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Naggy was never brought in as a Pack replacement, the plan was never to let Marlon go as a result, this all came about very last minute decision following our enquiry for Reid and their question in return re Marlon. 

Think about it from Pack's point of view though... City have just signed Massengo and Nagy. We've got Brownhill and Smith too. Weve got Bakinson and Walsh with 1st team ambitions. That's a lot of competition. Maybe his agent found himself open to certain conversations that let to where we are?

Archived