IGNORED

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

WRERE

2 hours ago, Xiled said:

An injury to Nagy or Brownhill and I think we're going to regret it.

Until (hopefully) Korey Smith is back to his former level, we might really miss the backup of Pack's experience in the team/squad.

One thing I really hope for in all this is Korey isn’t binned off as quickly as his peers. With the revolving door of buy low sell high, we need the glue. A guy happy to be here, a good player but not so good that his head is turned elsewhere.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

One thing I really hope for in all this is Korey isn’t binned off as quickly as his peers. With the revolving door of buy low sell high, we need the glue. A guy happy to be here, a good player but not so good that his head is turned elsewhere.

I think LJ trusts Korey - in his teams at Oldham and City. The main concern is, of course, fitness and staying injury free. The Korey Smith that played last season looked every bit the player we need to support the new midfielders.

25 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

It’s not for everyone for sure, 10 or so years ago we had Dave Jones whose team had some flair but we never got over the line, even malky mackay who took us up in 2013 served up some really boring football, ending the season with 6 draws I think. 

Luton yesterday, passing it back to the goalie and around there own box all the time, it would kill me to watch that, it’s not beautiful at all, Man City and Barcelona can do it well but few others, total football if you like. 

Fair enough. But put it this way, if every team played like Warnock then I don't think football would be as popular as it is. Just a load of big guys smashing it long to a big centre forward or the wings. Cardiff vs Millwall will be a classic if this is what you enjoy watching.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Did I get players mixed up yesterday or did MP lose his man for the Luton goal?

I think it was Pack yes.

I am wondering. Now he has gone, are most glad we sold him and got what we did or will get? Or would they have kept him?

4 hours ago, Lez said:

I mean a side that lumps the ball, has no pace, and is very defensive. 

As opposed to our team....that lumps the ball? 

There are still a fair few fans that seem to be dining out on us 'playing football the right way'....

....the right way is a way that brings success 

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think it was Pack yes.

I am wondering. Now he has gone, are most glad we sold him and got what we did or will get? Or would they have kept him?

From my own perspective I think it's best for all parties. It would have been good to see if playing with a new Korey type player like Nagy or Massengo would have got him back to his best, but we would have struggled to get everyone into a midfield that has Pack in it. In terms of age and sale value, I think we got top dollar for a player who wasn't going to improve, we have kept the more dynamic, younger player with more potential in Brownhill. I liked Marlon and was frustrated by him all in the same game on many occasions, I think Cardiff fans may find the same.

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think it was Pack yes.

Would’ve liked until January to see how he worked with Nagy and Massengo. 

LJ has confirmed that the move was financially motivated for both club and player. I don't begrudge Pack heading off to get what is probably the last big pay rise of his career. It's just a shame it was so sudden and to Cardiff though. From LJ's post-Brum interview with McGregor:

"[Marlon] Pack - it was difficult to stand in his way, given the fee and the level of contract on offer and he's got to secure his family for the next three or four years like he has."

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

One simple question, did we miss him yesterday? In my mind it's a resounding no. I never had any moments where I thought damn I wish we had Pack still.

There will be times over the season where we miss his experience, height and calming influence on the midfield. 

We can't keep everyone though, and with the additions I can totally understand why we sold him. He's clearly got useful qualities though. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think it was Pack yes.

I have considered for the last two years that if we are to progress upwards, we needed to replace him. He had reached a peak with us.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have considered for the last two years that if we are to progress upwards, we needed to replace him. He had reached a peak with us.

Yep. I have been saying it pretty much last 2 years, or maybe 18 months. People not been happy with my Pack comments, but how Nagy seems to play is what I have always thought we have needed in there alongside Brownhill. Still early so who knows, but we still have Korey to return too and Massengo is highly rated. I am glad we are getting 4 million for Pack.

Something was going on behind the scenes hence our poor performance against Leeds and Palace. Not sure what but then MP and JP depart the club. Watched yesterday's highlights and am excited for the future. Also watched Leeds vs Forest and neither were special. Give it a few games to bed the new lads in and we will do ok IMO.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There will be times over the season where we miss his experience, height and calming influence on the midfield. 

We can't keep everyone though, and with the additions I can totally understand why we sold him. He's clearly got useful qualities though. 

Wasn't yesterday one of those games?

Although Pack had some qualities, your forgetting to mention the ndgitives.

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

Maybe not yesterday, but against sides which overall are a bit stronger than ours or require a midfield battle - he will be missed.

Of course he had weaknesses, he wouldn't be playing in this league if he didn't. Overall, he was a positive influence on the squad. I can understand the sale, but he was an important part of the team. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

wondering. Now he has gone, are most glad we sold him and got what we did or will get? Or would they have kept him?

In the context of getting up to £4m (or thereabouts, allegedly) for Pack and investing in Nagy and Massengo I think it’s good business. Pack was an absolute legend for us for all he achieved here but everyone’s time is up at some point or another and if he’s gone on a 3yr deal on better money and secures a brighter future for his family then who can blame us or him? 

MOTM yesterday for cardiff too. And Nagy arguably the same for us. Bonnet de douche, Rodney. 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Possibly 

i didn’t think he was the future , moving forward, and exposed in Leeds game

Sounding to LJs pre match it sounded like he didn’t want to lose him

It would have been interesting to have seen him with Nagy & JB

Have a feeling MP was happy to go and I don’t believe that it was a sudden deadline day move by Warnock

Id be surprised if ex Cotterill teammates didn’t have a hand in a couple of ‘ sounding out ‘ players and transfers  this summer

I am convinced that yet again Cardiff have used their geographical position to sign one of our players.

Maybe the signs were on the wall that Marlon wasn’t going to be such an easy fit into the style we are now converting to in the hope of taking a step upwards? So what does he do if he still wants to play Championship football and live in his current house? The choice of a move and easy travel is limited. The added bonus is that his best mate plays for Cardiff and he could also have the experiences of ex team mates Bobby & Greg to think about, both now departed Cardiff for now. 

Pack got a good deal and signing on fee I expect,  stays in the Championship and doesn’t have to move house. He will probably get more games than he would here too with our new signings. No brainer move for him. 

Also we are building for the Premier League, so we are led to believe I think. Will Marlon play there in the future? 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe not yesterday, but against sides which overall are a bit stronger than ours or require a midfield battle - he will be missed.

Of course he had weaknesses, he wouldn't be playing in this league if he didn't. Overall, he was a positive influence on the squad. I can understand the sale, but he was an important part of the team. 

I understand what your saying, but I do think Yesterdays game was exactly where we would miss him and his experience and influence, one nil down away from home.

Personally, against Leeds, he was shite. 

I think if you want to be a mid table/ top 6/10 side then he's a reliable player to have, like Cole Skuse he will give you a 7 each game. But if you want to push to the next level then he isn't your man as he will rarely get above a 7.

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Did I get players mixed up yesterday or did MP lose his man for the Luton goal?

No. Pack was going to win the header, but Morrison (his own teammate) bundles into him and tripped him 

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

I think LJ trusts Korey - in his teams at Oldham and City. The main concern is, of course, fitness and staying injury free. The Korey Smith that played last season looked every bit the player we need to support the new midfielders.

I actually wonder if Nagy is Pack’s replacement and HNM Korey’s. No space for sentiment. 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Think that should read nagytives!

On 11/08/2019 at 11:45, mightyreds89 said:

Naggy was never brought in as a Pack replacement, the plan was never to let Marlon go as a result, this all came about very last minute decision following our enquiry for Reid and their question in return re Marlon. 

You have to feel sorry for Marlon. He told he was leaving after a training session. We were trying to get bobby reid back and cardiff wanted Pack in the deal. But Bobby preferred to go to Fulham. Then Cardiff being desperate for signings still took him. Good luck to Marlon anyway.

52 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

You have to feel sorry for Marlon. He told he was leaving after a training session. We were trying to get bobby reid back and cardiff wanted Pack in the deal. But Bobby preferred to go to Fulham. Then Cardiff being desperate for signings still took him. Good luck to Marlon anyway.

Yep forget the club that offered him the chance of Premier League football and a huge wage, forget the hometown club you’ve supposedly supported all your life, when Barcelona, Real Madrid and Fulham come calling, you go......?

12 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Yep forget the club that offered him the chance of Premier League football and a huge wage, forget the hometown club you’ve supposedly supported all your life, when Barcelona, Real Madrid and Fulham come calling, you go......?

I think Fulham is a good move for him. Got a good chance of getting back to the prem. Of course I wish he rejoined us though. Maybe if he does really well barca and madrid will be after him ?.

On 11/08/2019 at 06:32, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Lansdown confirmed the fee was £20m. Believe that was the upfront cost and there are a few add ons-not really hard to grasp is it pal?

the Torquay signings was a joke (too subtle for you clearly) and we were considering Hemed (he was on the list) the fact we didn’t sign him doesn’t disprove that I’m afraid.

You still bitter because of that large slice of humble pie and had after saying I was making the Webster to Brighton transfer up? Sitting a bit heavy is it?

Nah, still no humble pie - you ‘broke’ news of the Webster transfer on here a whole MONTH after other media outlets were reporting Brighton’s interest and you got the transfer fee incorrect. So not a great scoop - and I only questioned your knowledge (although you are apparently the ‘Fontaine’ of all knowledge - high comedy!) because I asked you where you’d heard Webster was off to B&HA and you repeatedly ignored me ... no humble pie, you ‘broke’ old news ....

....and funny how you dismiss saying Semenyo and Walsh were going to Torquay as a joke and then try to justify that shite by saying it was ‘too subtle’ for me - your post in the thread about who was going to sign for Torquay literally said “it’s Semenyo and Walsh” - and that was it - which part of that post appears to be subtle? Or ‘too subtle’? And which part of your four word post suggests it’s a joke?!

You had a Weston-super there ‘pal’ - so, when you get wild speculative posts incorrect you are joking but when you ‘break’ transfer news a full month after other media outlets you smugly claim to be in the know and quote your ‘sources’ (plural!) were right - what colour is the sky in cloud cuckoo land??!

Tuned in to watch Pack today. Weird seeing him play in a orange shirt for Cardiff. Unfortunately he’s just gone off after 20 mins. Looked like he tweaked a hamstring taking a free kick. Also surprised to see Flint playing LCB rather than RCB. Reading now 1 up. 

Archived