IGNORED

MA, SL or LJ

BCFC1512

3 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Adobe is not the answer. The Stoke fans forum give him more stick than we give to Fammy. He is a very similar player to Fammy. Not the type of player we need at all. A last minute panic signing.

Everything you've said in this post is wrong, even the last bit. We don't do panic buys - even Diony was scouted. Afobe would've been someone we're well aware off.

Come on MA it's time to talk... About the amazing business you have done in selling our players for the maximum profit. 

I've said it in a different thread, there are a number of mitigating factors in transfers which is why x, y and z don't come off so why does LJ need to talk? "I wanted this player, he's chosen someone else, next player on our list etc" 

Afobe has been playing in what is quite honestly a poor Stoke team that don't play to his strengths, if we can play to his strengths and bring the confidence back I'm sure he'll be a valuable player. 

SL has backed LJ and MA in the transfer market, I don't know why he should answer to anything we are one of the only clubs in the championship who try and live within their means and don't resort to shady shenanigans to circumnavigate FFP. 

We've had a fantastic transfer window, bringing in quality all throughout the team. 

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ashton is an embarrassment. Need to get rid of this overpaid, underperforming w***"r and get someone in who can actually do the job he clearly can't.

Another year of lumping the ball up to a lame donkey and any thoughts of promotion can now be forgotten.

It isn't Ashton who is a w****r

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ashton is an embarrassment. Need to get rid of this overpaid, underperforming w***"r and get someone in who can actually do the job he clearly can't.

Another year of lumping the ball up to a lame donkey and any thoughts of promotion can now be forgotten.

Read that back to yourself in the morning - i suspect you may cringe a bit. Not one for calm reflection are we?

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Absolute nob jockeys on this thread right now,

We’ve added 11 players

Not that I agree with the opening post, but what does the number of signings have to do with anything?

Surely 5 quality players would be better than 11 squad players?

I think our business has been decent, just don’t get why the number of players matters.

19 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Why? It’s been a very good window. 

I don't think we will know if it has been good or bad until at least Christmas.

We won't know if the foreign players are bargains or the new Engvall/Hegeler for a while.

We won't know if the squad can deliver the football LJ presumably has in his head but we haven't seen on the pitch for a while.

I'm neutral about the changes for now awaiting evidence either way.

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

I think the biggest problem is that you don't understand how transfer windows work or how a football club is run off the pitch. 

Please share this with us then? You have a large recruitment team, you have 3 months, and you want a striker. You then dont sign one until ypu realise the one you have been after has buggered off at the last minute and signed for someone else. You then panic and end up with a striker who has scored about as many championship goals in the last few years as matty taylor. Fantastic.

so the 11 new players... 2 of those are gilmartin and rowe. No one else in the championship was about to offer these 2 contracts.

we release fielding, and knowing that max is coming through, sign bentley for millions, and then no one is completely clear whether he would start above maenpaa, assuming both are fit, then send max out on loan.

szomidics has come up 2 leagues, and is presumably one for yhe future, just like adelakun last year who never got a chance or a loan. Might be ok, but is a massive risk to rely on him for us this season..... and has since effectively been replaced by palmer and messengo,,, chances of much game time are pretty small.

kalas and dasilva are obvious signings and good business.

we go to america for team building. 

Palmer, we know all about him. Talented, didnt play much last year, lj says he wants him for a pre season, so we sign him just as pre season ends. Pretty much ineffective against leeds.

hopefully the 3 foreign lads come in and do well. Cause if nagy doesnt settle, or cant deal with the pace and power that leeds showed, then we have nothing else having sold pack.

im hoping messengo is a prodigy, and is fantastic, cause if the rumoured fee of 8 million is correct, and an 18 year old kid doesnt settle, then oh dear.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Palmer, we know all about him. Talented, didnt play much last year, lj says he wants him for a pre season, so we sign him just as pre season ends

Not really our fault though is it, Palmer getting taken on a pre-season tour with Chelsea

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Please share this with us then? You have a large recruitment team, you have 3 months, and you want a striker. You then dont sign one until ypu realise the one you have been after has buggered off at the last minute and signed for someone else. You then panic and end up with a striker who has scored about as many championship goals in the last few years as matty taylor. Fantastic.

You can't always sign who you want to sign when you want to sign them. Afobe would've been someone we've looked at for a while. He won't be on a small wage, so we wouldn't have splashed out if we hadn't done our research. This isn't Bristol City in 2010 anymore, we're a different club. Scott Hogan joined Stoke yesterday hence why he was available. 

As for his goalscoring record - you've conveniently ignored the fact he has a 1 in 2 goalscoring record for both MK Dons and then Wolves. He then played in a struggling Prem side. He's had a couple of poor seasons since then, but he's only 26 and has time to recapture his form.

so the 11 new players... 2 of those are gilmartin and rowe. No one else in the championship was about to offer these 2 contracts.

Rowe was probably signed as cheap, experienced and versatile cover for a young side. Gilmartin, as you should also know, was primarily signed to join the coaching staff and be a reserve goalkeeper if things get desperate.

we release fielding, and knowing that max is coming through, sign bentley for millions, and then no one is completely clear whether he would start above maenpaa, assuming both are fit, then send max out on loan.

What's wrong with that? Surely you want competition for places with two good keepers. O'Leary needs regular games - we can't guarantee him that when Maenpaa is fit. 

szomidics has come up 2 leagues, and is presumably one for yhe future, just like adelakun last year who never got a chance or a loan. Might be ok, but is a massive risk to rely on him for us this season..... and has since effectively been replaced by palmer and messengo,,, chances of much game time are pretty small.

You're just guessing here. Szomidics has played enough in pre-season to indicate he will get games. Adelukan had injury issues last season which explains partly why he didn't get many games. 

Agreed

What's wrong with that?

Palmer, we know all about him. Talented, didnt play much last year, lj says he wants him for a pre season, so we sign him just as pre season ends. Pretty much ineffective against leeds.

Perhaps Palmer wasn't available when the others were. This isn't football manager and you have to factor in other clubs too. Swansea wanted him and Lampard wanted a look at him. 

hopefully the 3 foreign lads come in and do well. Cause if nagy doesnt settle, or cant deal with the pace and power that leeds showed, then we have nothing else having sold pack.

im hoping messengo is a prodigy, and is fantastic, cause if the rumoured fee of 8 million is correct, and an 18 year old kid doesnt settle, then oh dear.

All of that is obvious, but applies to any player we could buy - regardless of age. You have to trust the club to have done their due diligence.

19 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Give your head a wobble Simon.

22 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Glass half empty mofo ain’t ya ?

Ladies and gentlemen I bring you 2019's I will Boo thread.. 

Seriously one game in and 11 new players and this is the response. 

OK losing Webby is a shame but for the money, come on!! As for not replacing him, well, it's not going to happen like for like anyway and anyone brought in as a replacement would only be shot down by some. I agree, to a lesser extent losing Marlon is also a shame but, he is not the player he was or am I missing something here? 

This football club is so much better when we all pull together. Let's get behind what we have and enjoy what is to come. I for one am excited. 

Always Believe x

5 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

We need answers and we need them tonight!! No doubt SL and MA will now disappear for a few months leaving LJ to answer.

5 hours ago, Make a Sub said:

Indeed!! Shambles from the club yet again. 

5 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Serious failure. I'll give initial credit for the signings, Kalas, Nagy, Dasilva.. among others excellent. But WE NEEDED A STRIKER. That cost us last season, so how on earth have they let that happen again. We won't get anywhere hoofing it up to Diedhou. 

5 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Disgusting, 3months to get a striker, and nothing, MA, SL, need to address the supporters 

Striking that none of you appear to have the class or humility to acknowledge that you massively jumped the gun. All mouth.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

What reassures me is he says the same himself. He's had a dreadful three seasons and isn't pretending otherwise. But it sounds like he is working hard to get himself where he was. 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-benik-afobe-improvement-3087471

I think we may be surprised.

He is a £12m player....lets just wait and see.

All the fuss about EN is fair enough but, how many goals has he scored in this league?

5 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Serious failure. I'll give initial credit for the signings, Kalas, Nagy, Dasilva.. among others excellent. But WE NEEDED A STRIKER. That cost us last season, so how on earth have they let that happen again. We won't get anywhere hoofing it up to Diedhou. 

Didn't we sign one?

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think we may be surprised.

He is a £12m player....lets just wait and see.

All the fuss about EN is fair enough but, how many goals has he scored in this league?

Cracking player when on form... just if we can get the best out of him...

4 hours ago, Red Exile said:

yep - exactly this.

Isn't this what a football forum is supposed to be? - extreme reactions and people making outrageous posts they'll regret 5 minutes later!

All in a good spirit.

Pretty much.  Another deadline had passed and we had signed everything except the striker we clearly needed.  I hit the roof and over reacted I'm afraid.  Apologies to Mark for that.  I've calmed down now.

It's been a really mad transfer window for a change and I really hope we've made the right calls this time.

A bit worried about Saturday though.  With all the activity, what team is Lee going to play?

Archived