IGNORED

MA, SL or LJ

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Edouard - Would take a massive fee

Morelos - Rangers want a stupid amount for him, horrid discipline record

Zohore  - £8m seemingly and a hefty wedge, after the Chelsea lads we wouldn't have had that sort of money available till after Webster

Griffiths - Out of our reach

Reid - Tried and failed, nothing we could have done here.

Bowen - The lad Hull want about £20m for?

Austin - Chose WBA over us, if we really wanted him we'd have gone for him earlier than deadline day, on a chunk as well you'd expect

Nketiah - Tried and failed

McBurnie - £17m plus initial fee with add ons

Greenwood - Do you fancy sticking around Man Utd's first team squad or coming to us and rotating your game time...

Brewster - Klopp has publicly said he sees him around first team squad this season

Nelson - If he's not getting a chance at Arsenal then there's links of him being loaned to the Bundesliga 

The problem with your logic of 'we're £10m up this season and last season' is that on average we lose about £12m a season, the amount we were up last season went towards the large loss of the previous year to comply with ffp. This summer our £10m up will offset that £13m again to keep us in a good place FFP wise.

Jutkiewicz I would have agreed on before he signed a new contract, after losing Che Adams they'd have wanted a very big fee for losing both strikers.

As for recruitment team, it ain't 30...

Ok, those names were plucked from my memory,, no one knows what edouard morelos or griffiths would be, others might be too expensive but all evidence suggests ntekiah was always first choice, i assume anyone else was ignored/ discounted, at least until wednesday this week. 

2 of the best young strikers in holland last year were isak and lammers, isak is a swedish international at dortmund, he might be available for a loan? He might be above our level, i dont know? But there are players all over europe that we are obviously aware of, but we never gave ourselves the chance to look

I wish there was less insulting of posters on here. Yes people get emotional and yes there are some very varied opinions, but it is a football noticeboard of fans of the same club. I come on here for lively debate, but I am put off by the attacks on the posters.

7 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

I wish there was less insulting of posters on here. Yes people get emotional and yes there are some very varied opinions, but it is a football noticeboard of fans of the same club. I come on here for lively debate, but I am put off by the attacks on the posters.

:laugh: dont worry bud,, its transfer window day and emotions are running high!

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Should i consult my team of 30 recruitment guys to answer that?

i recall throwing out the following names in the last month or 2. Dont know what their fees and wages would have been, because quite frankly im not privy to that information...

edouard, morelos, zahore, griffiths, reid, bowen, austin, ntekiah in that i would have been pleased with him, mcburnie, nelson, greenwood, brewster, cant think of any others at the moment. Dont know about abroad, but we were obviously looking at genoa, bologna and monaco players.

it was never easy finding that striker but at the end of the day the ntekiah transfer fell through and it stuffed up the clubs plans.... we can blame emery or leeds all we want but its us who pays for it. We had 20 million from the webster sale, we should have put a deadline on the ntekiah transfer, and then moved on.

that ok?

A list of c.£40m strikers.

Jesus wept, this isn't a video game. 

The only realistic name on your list is Bobby, and our fans burnt that bridge sufficiently to make that impossible 

9 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Please share this with us then? You have a large recruitment team, you have 3 months, and you want a striker. You then dont sign one until ypu realise the one you have been after has buggered off at the last minute and signed for someone else. You then panic and end up with a striker who has scored about as many championship goals in the last few years as matty taylor. Fantastic.

so the 11 new players... 2 of those are gilmartin and rowe. No one else in the championship was about to offer these 2 contracts.

we release fielding, and knowing that max is coming through, sign bentley for millions, and then no one is completely clear whether he would start above maenpaa, assuming both are fit, then send max out on loan.

szomidics has come up 2 leagues, and is presumably one for yhe future, just like adelakun last year who never got a chance or a loan. Might be ok, but is a massive risk to rely on him for us this season..... and has since effectively been replaced by palmer and messengo,,, chances of much game time are pretty small.

kalas and dasilva are obvious signings and good business.

we go to america for team building. 

Palmer, we know all about him. Talented, didnt play much last year, lj says he wants him for a pre season, so we sign him just as pre season ends. Pretty much ineffective against leeds.

hopefully the 3 foreign lads come in and do well. Cause if nagy doesnt settle, or cant deal with the pace and power that leeds showed, then we have nothing else having sold pack.

im hoping messengo is a prodigy, and is fantastic, cause if the rumoured fee of 8 million is correct, and an 18 year old kid doesnt settle, then oh dear.

You really are special aren’t you

6 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Yep - same. Too many posters wanting to be seen to be 'right' or on the 'right' side of an argument...too little appreciation of the different emotions that following City inspire...and too much language that denigrates young people of the 'it must be half-term' variety - what's wrong with young people having opinions, are they a threat to us older folk or something? And there's a poisonous tendency across the forum to divide the fan base into those who are 'loyal' and those who, because they might question the direction the club is taking, must be 'pretend' fans who 'hate' Lee Johnson/Mark Ashton/Steve Lansdown and spend their matchdays hoping that City will lose.

I enjoyed reading this thread this morning - clearly early posters were rather too quick off the mark! My thanks to @Simon bristol for letting it all go and posing so many questions and to @Coppello for an account of transfer day that is about a million times better than anything that I'll read in the press today. 

7 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Ok, those names were plucked from my memory,, no one knows what edouard morelos or griffiths would be, others might be too expensive but all evidence suggests ntekiah was always first choice, i assume anyone else was ignored/ discounted, at least until wednesday this week. 

2 of the best young strikers in holland last year were isak and lammers, isak is a swedish international at dortmund, he might be available for a loan? He might be above our level, i dont know? But there are players all over europe that we are obviously aware of, but we never gave ourselves the chance to look

That is the issue, nobody knows that these players all across Europe haven't been scouted or enquired about (you have also been saying it is a risk if they don't settle being from Europe, so do you really want that extra risk)? 

My whole point is it is obviously difficult to get a proven striker to come here, number one because of cost of fees and wages, and number two basically because we are just not a big club/name. As said above we wouldn't be able to get any of the ones on your list, even if we offered what the club wanted you now have to literally break the bank in wages and upset everyone who are here already. We just have to accept we are not in the position to get most of these proven strikers out there - because we are not a proposition for them.

21 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That is the issue, nobody knows that these players all across Europe haven't been scouted or enquired about (you have also been saying it is a risk if they don't settle being from Europe, so do you really want that extra risk)? 

My whole point is it is obviously difficult to get a proven striker to come here, number one because of cost of fees and wages, and number two basically because we are just not a big club/name. As said above we wouldn't be able to get any of the ones on your list, even if we offered what the club wanted you now have to literally break the bank in wages and upset everyone who are here already. We just have to accept we are not in the position to get most of these proven strikers out there - because we are not a proposition for them.

Ok, i dont want the discussion to be the mudslinging that happened yesterday but im always happy to partake in a reasoned conversation. The club has its place in the football world, and arguably we are gradually working our way upwards, as evidenced by that messengo transfer. The club will know who is available and who would want to come. On one hand you have dwight gayle, on the other you might have someone like johnson-harris at rovers, who would almost certainly be ecstatic about a 3 year contract with us, but isn’t necessarily at the standard we want at this point.

this transfer window saw us get huge money in from transfers, hopefully so far we agree on everything i have written, seems fairly sensible and correct as far as i can see?

my view, which other people clearly dont agree with, is that city persisted with the ntekiah transfer for too long, so that as it dragged on towards the deadline, if anything went wrong, we would be left with no time to come up with a credible alternative, or the credible alternatives had already moved by that point. Just 

I dont believe that afobe was on the initial list of strikers that we were after, and he is at odds with most of the other signings we made in terms of developing and making a profit on in the future, and i dont think he’s particularly an upgrade on fam or weimann.

the club has no doubt got a dossier of strikers who could be a target, maybe some were on my list, maybe not, but they will know who was achievable. Joao went to reading, he was probably within our budget, austin went to wba. He was 4 million which was affordable, but his wages wouldnt be cheap, perhaps the club could have stretched to it, maybe not. I still maintain there were forwards available, i dont have the clubs list, or knowledge of who it might be, but with a reasonable amount of foresight the club shouldnt have got itself in the position with ntekiah that it did.

hope this isnt too inflationary? 

42 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

my view, which other people clearly dont agree with, is that city persisted with the ntekiah transfer for too long, so that as it dragged on towards the deadline, if anything went wrong, we would be left with no time to come up with a credible alternative, or the credible alternatives had already moved by that point. Just 

I dont believe that afobe was on the initial list of strikers that we were after, and he is at odds with most of the other signings we made in terms of developing and making a profit on in the future, and i dont think he’s particularly an upgrade on fam or weimann.

the club has no doubt got a dossier of strikers who could be a target, maybe some were on my list, maybe not, but they will know who was achievable. Joao went to reading, he was probably within our budget, austin went to wba. He was 4 million which was affordable, but his wages wouldnt be cheap, perhaps the club could have stretched to it, maybe not. I still maintain there were forwards available, i dont have the clubs list, or knowledge of who it might be, but with a reasonable amount of foresight the club shouldnt have got itself in the position with ntekiah that it did.

I'm not sure about that. Ashton is on record saying the club wanted a 'proven 9'. Afobe is proven at this level, and has played at the level above. I'm sure the club were keeping tabs on him - same way we are obviously aware of all decent forwards at this level.

In general, the club aim to sign players 24 and under with the potential to develop and ultimately sell on for a profit. Clearly this doesn't apply to every single signing and it would be a bit foolish if it did. 

Joao may well have been on our list, but he isn't that dissimilar to Diedhiou in style so I doubt he was a primary target. Austin would've been nice - but he's on Premier League wages. We'd have been very creative with our finances to pull that off. I don't think our wage budget can realistically stretch. 

The point is you don't know whether Afobe was a panic buy or not. I don't believe any player we sign is a panic buy - this isn't 2010 anymore. We do our due diligence and of course we'd be well aware of the strengths and qualities of an established player like Afobe. 

Johnson also said “Benik is someone we have watched for some time: he has a lot of experience, he’s proved his eye for goal and I am excited to see what he will do for Bristol City this season.” That means, unless you believe Johnson to be telling fibs, we've kept tabs on him for a while.

Scott Hogan joined Stoke earlier this week. For all we know, perhaps Stoke weren't willing to let Afobe go until that happened. Think about how the Maguire to United chain happened and included us with the Webster sale. 

10 hours ago, wood_red said:

Are you a little bit tired Simon? You seem rather aggressive after a day of negativity on your keyboard.

The only trouble with your list of strikers is how many would come here due to fees and wages? I doubt many wouldn't mind some of them but they are just unfeasible options for us as a club, I suppose we can blame LJ, SL and MA for that problem though.

There are factors other than fees and/or wages which are of course open to speculation but could be very telling.

A player may perceive Bristol as a backwater in football terms, may feel (as a striker for example) that the style of football he himself has witnessed won't be good for him, may not personally rate the squad as good enough compared to others, and may even have had issues with members of the playing squad in the past which would make a day to day relationship with them impossible.

I am of course talking about a quality player, who will have plenty of options and despite the zealots viewing us as some kind of unstoppable force that will get "there" sooner rather than later, might see us as a middling Championship club until we clearly aren't..

I really really do not think MA is a world beater, but some of the shit spouted on here placing all the blame at his door for not brining in a striker of the profile some fans demanded was an absolute disgrace

Archived