IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

My Wolves mate just sent me this...

"Stoke fans think he's rubbish. I loved him. I'd stick him as a no9. Definitely not the no10, coming deep... That's what he often does. Tell him he's a no9, stick him on the shoulder of the last man, and he'll score loads. No question.

In one on one positions he's unerring.
Before Fosun, him, Dean Sturridge and Steven Fletcher (Ebanks Blake too for a year or two) had that ominous air in front of goal. That one that makes you think 'he ain't missing'. I hope he still has this!"

If (big if) we can get his confidence back then he could be a great signing...? 

20 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Stoke fans forum::

positive: we have strengthened our team for a year by getting rid.

positive: we have weakened a competitor's team for a year

positive: in the miracle they will want to buy him at the end of the season, they will actually pay cash for him.

Negative: when they realise how poor he is they will return him to us.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

before you start, I am just quoting. Stoke are a tough crowd to please but can the vast majority of them be wrong? Hope so. Going back a couple of years he was a player at this level.

Not going easy are they...another one...

He is the perfect example of a one-trick pony.

If he can have the ball fed down the old inside right channel for him to run outside the central defender and hit first time he  looks lethal (which is where most of his goals for us came from).  

Anything that requires ball control, getting across a defender, heading, reading a cross or any form of link up play, forget it. 

Maybe Bristol City will play to his one strength.

They clearly have not been impressed. Lots of their comments about control etc mirror what is said on here when Fam is having a bad one.

Equally, sometimes players just need a change to rediscover their form. It’s a gamble, but on a loan not a huge one. Hopefully he comes good.

25 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

positive: in the miracle they will want to buy him at the end of the season, they will actually pay cash for him.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

before you start, I am just quoting. Stoke are a tough crowd to please but can the vast majority of them be wrong? Hope so. Going back a couple of years he was a player at this level.

Views on a forum represent opinions from a very, very, very tiny percentage of a club’s fanbase - nowhere near being the ‘vast majority’ ...

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Just told a mate who hadn’t heard and knows a bit about champ footy - said decent signing, but isn’t quick, more of a poacher - I personally thought he was an in behind type with pace 

He is pretty quick, not really sure where your friend is getting that from. Not exactly Ivan Sproule, but not slow at all. A bit like Agard perhaps.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He is pretty quick, not really sure where your friend is getting that from. Not exactly Ivan Sproule, but not slow at all. A bit like Agard perhaps.

There's quick and then there's Ivan Sproule!

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Got a feeling he’ll do well personally? We make chances and he can score. This is a decent ‘last gasp’ signing. 

Least the doubters can do is get behind him and see how he does.

I agree, this time last year I was advocating getting in David McGoldrick on a free from Ipswich. Had some ‘interesting’ reactions - Sheff Utd took a punt on the (then) 30 year old and he splaffed 15 goals in their promotion season despite only starting 36 games. What a performance! Sometimes an unlikely punt pays off and I’m hopeful that Mr Afobe may quite possibly enjoy the movement of Weimann and Palmer around him and the delivery of Eliasson ...

39 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Comment from a friend who is a Stoke fan.

Don’t let him take penalties but otherwise you have a hardworking fast centre forward I’m surprised Stoke let him go as he was one of best strikers and leaves us short up front!

Sounds like the same sort of unanimity as on OTIB.  :) 

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

LJ should be charged with fraud over his BOLD statement. 

If they were honest they would offer a refund on season tickets after this total failure

We have to accept we are second rate with no REAL desire or balls to mount a serious Prem challenge

Beyond clueless.

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, this time last year I was advocating getting in David McGoldrick on a free from Ipswich. Had some ‘interesting’ reactions - Sheff Utd took a punt on the (then) 30 year old and he splaffed 15 goals in their promotion season despite only starting 36 games. What a performance! Sometimes an unlikely punt pays off and I’m hopeful that Mr Afobe may quite possibly enjoy the movement of Weimann and Palmer around him and the delivery of Eliasson ...

Yep - people often don't think about the bigger picture or context. Leon Clarke is another one, has done really well for Sheffield United over the last few years - but prior to that move, people would've turned their noses up at him.

People see that Afobe had a bad spell at Stoke, but ignore that before he went there he was playing in the Premier League and even had a 1 in 2 goalscoring record a few years back in this division for Wolves. 

If we play to his strengths (which our midfield additions indicate we might) then I'm hopeful he can recapture his form. When he's fit, firing and happy - he's an excellent striker at this level. 

37 minutes ago, RackCity said:

My Wolves mate just sent me this...

"Stoke fans think he's rubbish. I loved him. I'd stick him as a no9. Definitely not the no10, coming deep... That's what he often does. Tell him he's a no9, stick him on the shoulder of the last man, and he'll score loads. No question.

In one on one positions he's unerring.
Before Fosun, him, Dean Sturridge and Steven Fletcher (Ebanks Blake too for a year or two) had that ominous air in front of goal. That one that makes you think 'he ain't missing'. I hope he still has this!"

If (big if) we can get his confidence back then he could be a great signing...? 

Got similar from my Wolves' mate. 

"Couldn’t really fault him with us. Though he played in two pretty decent wolves teams. His form last year for Stoke was pretty shocking! Needs service and he could be lethal" and "He’s a solid poacher in the box. Scored a beauty against Leeds in our promotion season"

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I most certainly would not; from my Stoke pal:~

He`s shite, I`m afraid. Flatters to deceive. Utter shambles for us, despite numerous chances. Couldn`t even score from the penalty spot.

Yet another massive waste of money @ about 12 million.

From my OTIB pal:-

"That previous match day thread bloke was shite , utter shambles for us - couldn't even get the thread out on time. That septic beg  person is much better".

Personally- I don't agree and think he talks bollox  because I'm open minded and appreciate the different things people bring.

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I could give you a list of 20 strikers we could have pursued but what good will it do? Window over now and we will never know

Give me a list of 20 strikers worth pursuing that would have signed for us and you can have the keys to my Rolls Royce. That's what good it will do.

28 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If they were honest they would offer a refund on season tickets after this total failure

We have to accept we are second rate with no REAL desire or balls to mount a serious Prem challenge

Because an unproven 20 year old guaranteed a promotion challenge just because the last one we had scored a bunch?

29 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Shipping out 3 first team regulars in Pack, Paterson and Webster, whilst bringing in 11 (I think- lost count) fresh players, 3 of which are unknown quantities in England, as well as taking our wage budget onto the next level.

That's pretty bold!!!

33 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I don't think Ive ever said this before on the forum...

but I really do get a whiff of gas.

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Mess.

1 hour ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

I've also read a few stoke fans who wish him well, think he could do well here and blamed lack of service for his struggle last season.

I wouldn't read too much into Afobe struggling at Stoke, that club has been a mess ever since they let Pulis go and got too big for their boots.

I think this is a really good signing for us especially given the circumstances of it happening so late.  Afobe could fit in well here and he can score goals which is what we've needed.

Archived