IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

1 hour ago, Toffee dog said:

Agree get this guy believing in himself again & he could be a real asset.

Diedhiou on his day is a right handful as well

Do you think there is any chance we will play with two up front? hasn't happened too often lately.

1 hour ago, Toffee dog said:

Agree get this guy believing in himself again & he could be a real asset.

Diedhiou on his day is a right handful as well

Absolutely. A lot of Stoke fans saying he was unfairly getting all sorts of stick/abuse.

That can easily destroy confidence. Guessing that's a reason he came to us, so hopefully a fresh start and we can recapture the form he has shown prior. 

7 hours ago, Lez said:

Struggled in recent times. Whether thats down to him or stoke.....time will tell.

A few years ago he ripped us to bits with MK Dons

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

32 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

I think you are going to be fuming then

The Loan Window (For about the twentieth time today !) CLOSED AT 5pm TODAY

Before people get their minds made up, here's a few things that really need to be taken into account.

For the last 2 yrs he has been poor to average, before that, a really decent championship standard striker - I think all would agree.

So why did it go wrong?

Benik had children. And with all young 'uns they disrupt your entire life and routine.

This can be detrimental to a professional sportsperson.

Now, in Benik's case - one of his children was poorly. Nothing life threatening, but enough to not sleep at night, have to frequently go to the Dr's etc.

It causes stress - it would to all of us.

So Benik wasn't sleeping himself, he would get up and share childcare duties with his wife. 

He started to eat rubbish, as he was tired or running late.

His training standards fell as he was tired and gaining weight.

The circle continued.

His child is now better.

I am led to believe that Benik has lost nearly 5 kg since last year, and is training at a really good level. He is now fit again.

He is in a much better head space, as he isn't worried about his child all the time.

Stoke have suddenly told him he is surplus, and if we want him next year, we can buy him.

So we now have a fit, mentally clear-headed player with excellent proven form at this level with a serious point to prove to his ex-club.

He will do very well here at City.

Welcome Benik - now bang 'em in for us!

5 hours ago, pillred said:

Do you think there is any chance we will play with two up front? hasn't happened too often lately.

To be honest I don’t know my guess is we may do on occasions, although your right it doesn’t happen often. Maybe LJ is going to  alter our playing style to suit the players that have come in, we will have to wait & see.

7 hours ago, Lucan said:

Have you looked at his goal record? Nothing great about it in my view

Don’t people say that about Taylor?

Taylor gets in your face and trys todefenders forcing a mistake,

the higher up you go the more ineffective that is,

it’s why he’s an impact sub

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Comment from a friend who is a Stoke fan.

Don’t let him take penalties but otherwise you have a hardworking fast centre forward I’m surprised Stoke let him go as he was one of best strikers and leaves us short up front!

Comment from another Stoke fan I know.....

If he scored 10 goals in a season it would be a surprise. Hope he scores loads of goals for you so we can get some of our £14 m back! 

36 minutes ago, Lucan said:

If I was Gazumped on a 4 bed semi, I wouldn't buy a one bed flat instead just because it was available..

If there was a couple hours left to decide your home for the next 6 months and the choice was 1 bed flat or homeless I think you would go for that one bed flat. 

I also don't think you would blame yourself for being gazumped?

50 minutes ago, Lucan said:

If I was Gazumped on a 4 bed semi, I wouldn't buy a one bed flat instead just because it was available..

Your analogy doesn't really work at all.

It's more akin to being gazumped on a really decent plot of land, that has the potential to be turned in to a luxury 4 bedroom detached house, but could just as easily not even get planning permission. Then in the end settling for a nice comfortable 3 bedroom semi that's ready to move in to straight away, and previously served other families very well in the past.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this ?

15 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Your analogy doesn't really work at all.

It's more akin to being gazumped on a really decent plot of land, that has the potential to be turned in to a luxury 4 bedroom detached house, but could just as easily not even get planning permission. Then in the end settling for a nice comfortable 3 bedroom semi that's ready to move in to straight away, and previously served other families very well in the past.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this ?

No that sounds pretty bang on. 

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Let’s wait and see! If hits the ground running he could be the answer to our goal scoring problem. He had an impressive record at Wolves a couple of seasons ago. 

I should imagine he’d be out to get his career and reputation back on track. 

Haven't been able to look through the whole thread...but has his wages been mentioned?

Stoke were paying massive wages to some players 50k to some by all accounts.

Wonder how much we'll be paying him? 

Shared payment?

Have we broken our wage structure for him etc.

Excuse my ignorance but clearly he has the abilty to score goals at this level. But I wondered if the guy is quick and posses backs of energy,

I think we have been lacking real pace up front and also a striker who can run around for 90 minutes hassling and pestering the opposition..bit like Bobby used to do. Be good if Benik is a bit like that because I dont think Fammy was.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haven't been able to look through the whole thread...but has his wages been mentioned?

Stoke were paying massive wages to some players 50k to some by all accounts.

Wonder how much we'll be paying him? 

Shared payment?

Have we broken our wage structure for him etc.

No mention yet but you'd guess we are paying say 50% which could be anything up to £20k as you'd expect a £12m striker to be on at least £40k a week even at this level!

If we had signed a striker of the calibre of Benik Adobe a couple of years ago I would have been astounded and delighted. He was out of our league in terms of profile and cost. 

Whether this signing is a reflection of our increasing status or his deterioration in form remains to be seen. It is probably a combination of both.

I personally think this could prove to be an inspired signing and particularly  since it was apparently arranged at the last moment following the collapse of the Nketiah loan.

Welcome to Bristol City Benik .

His goal to minute ratio for last few seasons were:

Stoke last season - 9 in 3031 mins or roughly 1 in 3.75 (12 goals a season form)

Wolves 17/18 - 6 in 697 mins or roughly 1 in 1.2 (36 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem)16/17 - 6 in 1661 mins or roughly 1 in 3 (15 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem) 15/16 - 4 in 938 mins or roughly 1 in 2.6 (18 goals a season form)

Wolves - 10 in 2129 mins or roughly 1 in 2.3 (19 goals a season form)

Wolves - 13 in 1798 mins or roughly 1 in 1.5 (30 goals a season form) 

Pretty grim reading if you ask me ?. He's maybe not had the best 6 months at stoke but give the guy a chance!

Proven at this level? Averaging 18.5 goal a season form in the championship, Yes! 

Proven at prem level? Stats suggest yes!

Stokes forum criticising last few months performances? Maybe, therefore write him off obviously! 

Good enough for bristol city? 100%, welcome Benik!

Archived