IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

Pleased we’ve got Benik onboard. He’s proved what he can do at Mk Dons and Wolves and a couple of years ago we’d never have been able to sign him. He’s a player I’d have loved the club to sign in the past.

OK so he’s not done as well at Stoke with off field problems no doubt contributing. He says sleeping better and lost weight, fitter etc and looking to show us the old Benik.

Think this could be a very good signing for us.

17 minutes ago, City18 said:

His goal to minute ratio for last few seasons were:

Stoke last season - 9 in 3031 mins or roughly 1 in 3.75 (12 goals a season form)

Wolves 17/18 - 6 in 697 mins or roughly 1 in 1.2 (36 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem)16/17 - 6 in 1661 mins or roughly 1 in 3 (15 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem) 15/16 - 4 in 938 mins or roughly 1 in 2.6 (18 goals a season form)

Wolves - 10 in 2129 mins or roughly 1 in 2.3 (19 goals a season form)

Wolves - 13 in 1798 mins or roughly 1 in 1.5 (30 goals a season form) 

Pretty grim reading if you ask me ?. He's maybe not had the best 6 months at stoke but give the guy a chance!

Proven at this level? Averaging 18.5 goal a season form in the championship, Yes! 

Proven at prem level? Stats suggest yes!

Stokes forum criticising last few months performances? Maybe, therefore write him off obviously! 

Good enough for bristol city? 100%, welcome Benik!

I demand at least his Wolves 17/18 form or I will boo. 

4 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Ryan Kent was poor for us.  Danny Rose was poor for us. We let Luke Freeman go and now he's in the prem! 

Look, the league is literally littered with players that failed at one club and succeeded at another.  Just because some people didn't get the toy they wanted theyre are having a absolute hissy fit. 

It's all about levels, who is available at the time and who we can afford. Buy players isn't like popping to Tesco. There are soooo many factors involved.

Everyone wants a decent proven striker, of course they do, so you've got the competition. Then you have players. Believe it or not, they have there own mind. Then the parent club. Then the agent. Then the money. Then the location. The the wife and family. The list of everything is endless. 

We've had one of the best windows I've ever seen. We've got around £33.2 million pounds worth sat in the bank and we've bought in some real talent who all hold value. Yes, we didn't get the striker we wanted in, but we got screwed over at the last minute. But guess what, life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, get over it. 

We've still got a **** load of money in the bank, we've tied most of these players on 4 year contracts, so we go again. It's all about levels and we've gone up MASSIVELY.

The money in the bank will mostly go on improved wages I would have thought.

We are in a very good place but we are still losing millions  every year so let’s appreciate what we have .

56 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Excuse my ignorance but clearly he has the abilty to score goals at this level. But I wondered if the guy is quick and posses backs of energy,

I think we have been lacking real pace up front and also a striker who can run around for 90 minutes hassling and pestering the opposition..bit like Bobby used to do. Be good if Benik is a bit like that because I dont think Fammy was.

(For a striker) Adobe can be considered as ‘rapid”. 

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to whinge about, seems there are plenty of them on here today, they moan how we so say messed up the Nketiah deal when we were clearly shafted by Emery, a player who’s totally unproven at this level btw, we then sign a proven Championship goalscorer yet it’s not good enough? What planet some are living on I have no idea, couple of seasons back we could only dream of signing players such as Afobe.

Well,, plenty of choice comments from the Stoke forum.

Lazy,,overweight,,shithouse,,stealing a living,,chancer....the list goes on - Tomlin'esque???

Do we need to hide the pie's?

The good news it's a loan.

21 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Well,, plenty of choice comments from the Stoke forum.

Lazy,,overweight,,shithouse,,stealing a living,,chancer....the list goes on - Tomlin'esque???

Do we need to hide the pie's?

The good news it's a loan.

He just had a bad time at Stoke, it's been discussed on here already. 

The difference is that unlike Tomlin, he's not a poisonous character. Tomlin is not a good man and his negative influence would've been awful for the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’ve only ever had the one account Bob. Care to be bold enough to say who you thought was ‘me’ so mods can confirm otherwise?

I don't understand why you don't just put him on ignore if he bothers you so much. I haven't posted on here for a while and I come back to see you still trying to bait him - why not just do everyone a favour and ignore him? It's so tiresome to see you trying to wind people up all the time.

• Admin

If you’d told me back in May that we would sign Afobe this Summer I’d have been happy with that. Had a tough time at Stoke but he’s shown before at MK Dons and Wolves that if you give this guy some half decent service he will score by the bucketload. I’m more excited today than I was yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If you’d told me back in May that we would sign Afobe this Summer I’d have been happy with that. Had a tough time at Stoke but he’s shown before at MK Dons and Wolves that if you give this guy some half decent service he will score by the bucketload. I’m more excited today than I was yesterday.

Yeah I agree and I would still have had concerns about that chance creation with the same old midfield that simply hasn't done it these last few seasons even if we'd have signed the worlds best striker. 

But we've bought some midfielders, and let a couple go which should help enforce those changes, rather than reverting to type. 

Let's now hope that creativeness from midfield happens 

11 hours ago, Lucan said:

Am I missing something? He's had like one decent championship season and not done anything for years. Why are people excited about this??

You are missing, period. You haven't done anything for years and if you did suddenly reappear people would get very excited about it.

Unlike your good self, Afobe can hit the target.

17 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Here's all of his Stoke goals shown in a video. Pace and power is something we've been missing. 

I'd suggest stopping watching at 3:45.

A certain Daniel Bentley isn't shown in the best light for that one to say the least... ?

16 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Here's all of his Stoke goals shown in a video. Pace and power is something we've been missing. 

I think what is interesting to me in this (as well as the goals from his 32 in a season at MK) is that a huge proportion come from clever passes through to him on the ground for him to run on to. Very very few goals shown where he has finished a cross from wide and indeed pretty much an absence of headers.

An observation not a criticism but I am sure Fam would have loved some of the balls played through in these clips, and hopefully our new midfielders can provide them. Really hope our only strategy is not get the ball wide and get in high crosses, as that really does not seem his strength. 

Notice that despite his own limitations in close control he works really well with players who put the ball in front of him, he has the movement to make himself a target on the ground.

Once all these new players pick up on each others games, this could be a much fresher, faster game from the boys in red. 

26 minutes ago, Coppello said:

The majority of those were scored away from home...wonder if the reaction from the fans at home affected his performance?

Can see Palmer & Szmodics forming a great partnership with Afobe...lots of balls threaded through for Afobe. We’ve been missing this sort of player for a couple of seasons.

If we had made this signing a year ago everyone would have been creaming in their pants.

Yes he has had a poor season at Stoke but let's take a look at Stoke for one minute. An absolute shambles of a club at the moment. 

If we can get him back to the form he showed at Wolves then we have a quality player on our hands and certainly up there with the best on our long list of striker targets.

10 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

This ain't championship manager pal. Go learn the game and the league in more depth and then come back. With all due respect you are clueless.

34 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

One gripe, and it's one I have with many players: very one sided. Does he ever use his left for chances? Many chances are squandered by changing foot.

Spooky

A bit downbeat about Afobe being the result of our striker pursuit , or more about how we went about our business,  I did a bit of watching and reading recap about Afobe last night

Was going to post and highlight something this morning that I’d picked up about him last night

When I watched the below video , and accepting it was when he was ‘hot’ 4/5 years ago ,  

but my very first thought was

‘Ohhh he’s left footed , I thought he was right footed’ ............but as the video rolls on he finishes with both feet - really , really impressive and still pretty rare IMHO at our level)

When I saw some videos of his more recent goals I agree with you he does look still capable of a good / explosive finish but does look one sided and even crosses legs at one point to finish(well) with his right when a left (if capable) would have been much simpler

Its actually something I really hope our coaching team pick up on , have a chat with Afobe about and see if there might be an underlying reason (or just coincidence)

Loss of confidence in his left ?

Not maintained his work on his left ? Etc etc

Interesting

One things for sure , if someone can get him into his mode of four or five years ago and finishing off both feet as below he can finish , and finish explosively 

* YouTube won’t let me embed the video but here is one that covers the majority of the same I saw

The video that I watched was ‘Afobe welcome to Fernabache’ if you search ‘Afobe’ in YouTube

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He just had a bad time at Stoke, it's been discussed on here already. 

The difference is that unlike Tomlin, he's not a poisonous character. Tomlin is not a good man and his negative influence would've been awful for the squad. 

I don't understand why you don't just put him on ignore if he bothers you so much. I haven't posted on here for a while and I come back to see you still trying to bait him - why not just do everyone a favour and ignore him? It's so tiresome to see you trying to wind people up all the time.

Nothing changes fog, you should know that by now, the better we get the more entitled fans become

Archived