IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

Pleased with this signing.  Likes a through ball.  Big and strong, a presence back to goal, without being a target man.

Now, of course, to see how he fits in.

He’d bust a gut to get on the end of a cross....has a striker’s instinct.

Time will tell, but reasons to be optimistic....might not have got anyone.

@Kid in the Riot - any idea of loan fee, contribution to wages, and option to buy fee?  Sorry!!

2 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I was thinking the same thing. If he feels loved from the off then I honestly think he could really find his form again. 

This is a man we all really need to get behind, who knows missing out on other targets could be a blessing and BA could fire us into promotion candidates. 

I suggest we all, er, give him some love ❤️ 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pleased with this signing.  Likes a through ball.  Big and strong, a presence back to goal, without being a target man.

@Kid in the Riot - any idea of loan fee, contribution to wages, and option to buy fee?  Sorry!!

We still lack a tap-in merchant though. Bobby developed that knack of being Johnny on the spot and we miss that.

12 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Well,, plenty of choice comments from the Stoke forum.

Lazy,,overweight,,shithouse,,stealing a living,,chancer....the list goes on - Tomlin'esque???

Do we need to hide the pie's?

The good news it's a loan.

Mate everything you have posted on our transfer window has been negative, can I suggest you stay off the forum for awhile and wait and see how good our new recruits are before slagging them off. Afobe story was on here yesterday, since he had been at Stoke he has a child that wasn’t very well so he was not getting sleep, stressed and eating crap because he was to knackered to make healthy food. Thankfully his baby is now a lot better so he has been able to sleep and has lost a few pounds in weight over the summer and as he said himself he feels more like himself. I’m sure your not that insensitive that if your child was ill you would still be able to do your job to the best of your ability because I’m sure I would not give a shit about my job.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Too early, don't know mate.

Afobe's wages will mean we've had to pay a seven figure loan fee though, I'm sure of it. 

I bet the option to buy fee is low though given Stoke will be worried about cutting their wage bill after the parachute payments dry up. £2-4m maybe which could be a good deal... 

Like his interview on OS, but then I usually do with new players tbh.   Think we do do our homework on DNA and no one comes across as an arrogant a-hole any more. 

I'm feeling positive about Afobe.  Hopefully Eliasson and Szmodics play loads and provide plenty of chances.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:37, Lez said:

This ain't championship manager pal. Go learn the game and the league in more depth and then come back. With all due respect you are clueless.

*it's unrealistic to sign a good Championship defender on loan from a club we regularly get loans from and sign a good striker after selling a player for £22m*

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:49, Port Said Red said:

He scored 6 in 26 for a team that only scored 45 goals between them in the whole season. 

When :laugh:. He scored 8 goals last season for Stoke and scored a goal every 353 minutes, roughly 1 in every 4 games. I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong of course, but I don't rate him and I think there were far better options we could have gotten. 

7 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

When :laugh:. He scored 8 goals last season for Stoke and scored a goal every 353 minutes, roughly 1 in every 4 games. I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong of course, but I don't rate him and I think there were far better options we could have gotten. 

I would be interested in how many chances he had. Stoke only scored 45 all season and he was top scorer. I wonder how many he missed. It's also a shame you didn't sit down with MA and LJ and point out all these striking gems they were supposed to have missed.

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would be interested in how many chances he had. Stoke only scored 45 all season and he was top scorer. I wonder how many he missed. It's also a shame you didn't sit down with MA and LJ and point out all these striking gems they were supposed to have missed.

A3427F92-0471-403F-9A5C-C1FCDE48F2F8.jpeg.b596c30c5f4a22a8d1147a07033b2e46.jpeg

Goals: 22nd

xG: 21st

Not conducive to lots of goals is it!

C330020C-491D-420E-A522-ED547B46378A.thumb.jpeg.c76c0a716eb294a35323e4b16482dab1.jpeg

Better finisher though!

9 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Please share this wisdom.......

Agreed - very curious to know who we could have got at short notice who has experience of both Prem and top level Championship and on his best form has a 1 in 2 goalscoring record. 

In a way it shows how far we've come as a club that some turn their nose up at a player of Afobe's pedigree.

50 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Think he’s an asset. Yes he missed two chances but the fact he got into the positions in the first place is a huge positive. Diedhiou will not make those sort of runs in behind. The goals will come, let’s not write him off yet .

Needs one to go in off his arse to get him going. Personally I think he should get another start on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wild guess, but perhaps between £7-9m. Stoke will know he's a good player, and will want to recoup a good % of what they spent on him. 

Interesting one.  At the end of the season, he’ll have 1 year left on his contract....for for FFP purposes Stoke will have an asset worth £4m (having amortised £8m of the original £12m).  We will have paid a loan fee, and wages, so I reckon somewhere between £4-6m.  Of course I might be way off.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Needs one to go in off his arse to get him going. Personally I think he should get another start on Tuesday.

I think it will be Diedhiou and Semenyo on Tuesday to ensure everyone is getting enough minutes, the formation will be interesting on Tuesday as I don't think we will go with 3 at the back purely so as not to over expose Wright and Baker given they are only just back to match fitness. Moore and 1 other surely?

58 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I think it will be Diedhiou and Semenyo on Tuesday to ensure everyone is getting enough minutes, the formation will be interesting on Tuesday as I don't think we will go with 3 at the back purely so as not to over expose Wright and Baker given they are only just back to match fitness. Moore and 1 other surely?

I reckon we only went back 3 to match up with Brum. Against a back 4, we'll play our usual formation. QPR play 4231 so I reckon we'll revert to that.

Archived