IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

52 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be interesting to see who you'd have preferred over Afobe

51 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Give me a list of 20 strikers worth pursuing that would have signed for us and you can have the keys to my Rolls Royce. That's what good it will do.

That would have signed for us is my point. We won’t ever know. 

Joao, Nketiah, Puscas, Austin, Zohore, Mir, Gallagher, Moore, Success, Assombolonga, Brophy, gaetan laborde and coretin jean. Ok so 12 or so off the top of my head. I am sure you could pick through a few you’d argue about being better. Like Moore who is more a mobile target man with no history in the champ but feel he’d have been a good fit. Or would never sign like laborde or jean but again we don’t know buy they aren’t the highest profile names. 

Honestly, even when thinking about who could be available today his name didn’t cross my mind. Hogan, Wells, Vydra, Austin, Reid and never once did I think Afobe. 

Not a slight on him at all. I hope he does well and I think he has a good platform here to do so. Just wasn’t really on my radar but that is ok because I do not work for the club. 

1 hour ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Stoke fans forum::

positive: we have strengthened our team for a year by getting rid.

positive: we have weakened a competitor's team for a year

positive: in the miracle they will want to buy him at the end of the season, they will actually pay cash for him.

Negative: when they realise how poor he is they will return him to us.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

before you start, I am just quoting. Stoke are a tough crowd to please but can the vast majority of them be wrong? Hope so. Going back a couple of years he was a player at this level.

Think they need to look at the rest of the poison that was at the club

Afobe has a decent scoring record at this level but playing at that club and the comments from Glen Johnson today about the culture at that club it’s hardly a surprise he struggled

Afobe will score 15 - 20 this season for us 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Joao, Nketiah, Puscas, Austin, Zohore, Mir, Gallagher, Moore, Success, Assombolonga, Brophy, gaetan laborde and coretin jean. Ok so 12 or so off the top of my head. I am sure you could pick through a few you’d argue about being better. Like Moore who is more a mobile target man with no history in the champ but feel he’d have been a good fit. Or would never sign like laborde or jean but again we don’t know buy they aren’t the highest profile names. 

Honestly, even when thinking about who could be available today his name didn’t cross my mind. Hogan, Wells, Vydra, Austin, Reid and never once did I think Afobe. 

Not a slight on him at all. I hope he does well and I think he has a good platform here to do so. Just wasn’t really on my radar but that is ok because I do not work for the club. 

Most of those that have played at this level before have worse records in the Championship than Afobe (Stoke aside).

Austin would've been nice, but don't think it was realistic. Zohore is decent but I don't think stylistically he's what we need, same with Gallagher.

Lots of those have never played in the league and come from abroad, so on paper far riskier signings than Afobe if you want someone to hit the ground running.

Thanks for providing the list though.

2 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Stoke fans forum::

positive: we have strengthened our team for a year by getting rid.

positive: we have weakened a competitor's team for a year

positive: in the miracle they will want to buy him at the end of the season, they will actually pay cash for him.

Negative: when they realise how poor he is they will return him to us.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

before you start, I am just quoting. Stoke are a tough crowd to please but can the vast majority of them be wrong? Hope so. Going back a couple of years he was a player at this level.

It's exactly what several people on OTIB would say about half the city team... some opinions aren't always right... 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The whole entire point is totally down to the fact that you can name 20 or 100 strikers who may possibly go a better job for us but actually finding one who is available, affordable, good value, not immediately poached by someone else, better than what we have  and most importantly of all- willing to come to BCFC is , as it turns out, a list of one.

Welcome Benik. And I'll put money on the fact he'll do better at BCFC than at Stoke.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The whole entire point is totally down to the fact that you can name 20 or 100 strikers who may possibly go a better job for us but actually finding one who is available, affordable, good value, not immediately poached by someone else, better than what we have  and most importantly of all- willing to come to BCFC is , as it turns out, a list of one.

Welcome Benik. And I'll put money on the fact he'll do better at BCFC than at Stoke.

Again I stated the list would be pointless from the start but you insisted. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Most of those that have played at this level before have worse records in the Championship than Afobe (Stoke aside).

Austin would've been nice, but don't think it was realistic. Zohore is decent but I don't think stylistically he's what we need, same with Gallagher.

Lots of those have never played in the league and come from abroad, so on paper far riskier signings than Afobe if you want someone to hit the ground running.

Thanks for providing the list though.

Can’t argue against it but think Afobe has had a bad few years and that is tough to turn around. As for style, I am not and have not been sure what city are really going for so it is a mixed list. On one hand I have though Fam just needs competition and cover. On the other hand, we could use a player who was quicker and craftier in the box. If Afobe is half the player he was at MK Dons and Wolves then we have done well. 

After a decent loan in 2018 stoke were happy to pay 12 million for him this January, how bad can he be?

He also was top scorer with 9 for a poor stoke squad last season, of which no one performed well!

Give him a chance in a team with players who try hard rather than turn up uninterested, just to get a premier league wage like at stoke and imagine we have a very different player

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think I quite like this signing. 

I think I’d rather have Afobe up front than Diedhiou. 

I think this might work out ok. 

I think I agree.  Sometimes it’s exactly this kind of signing that does well. 

I’m looking forward to Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. If Afobe had been the main target and we’d not known about Nketiah, most people would have been excited over this.

Bet LJ is feeling fairly pleased tonight. Got an international defensive midfielder and a decent Championship striker in. Lots of options to play with on the field, and Semenyo still has a clear pathway to the first team if he impresses.

Best of all, there’s a chance to make Afobe ours if he works out. Nketiah will be Arsenal’s next season whatever happens.

I quite like entering the season with no loan players. Refreshing and bold.

4 hours ago, samo II said:

We come a long way when some are disappointed with this signing tbf.

Happy with this - has shown he can score goals at this level; not an ace time at Stoke not alone with that against him.

Makes our forward options look that bit more meaty, and can see him and Fam being a handful for defenders if we can get them a decent supply of chances.

Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to whinge about, seems there are plenty of them on here today, they moan how we so say messed up the Nketiah deal when we were clearly shafted by Emery, a player who’s totally unproven at this level btw, we then sign a proven Championship goalscorer yet it’s not good enough? What planet some are living on I have no idea, couple of seasons back we could only dream of signing players such as Afobe.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree get this guy believing in himself again & he could be a real asset.

Diedhiou on his day is a right handful as well

32 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's way too busy making suits

3 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Am I missing something? He's had like one decent championship season and not done anything for years. Why are people excited about this??

He’s the type we’ve been looking for. His biggest asset is his movement off the last defender, he stretches the opposition, he will create opportunities  

43 minutes ago, City18 said:

After a decent loan in 2018 stoke were happy to pay 12 million for him this January, how bad can he be?

He also was top scorer with 9 for a poor stoke squad last season, of which no one performed well!

Give him a chance in a team with players who try hard rather than turn up uninterested, just to get a premier league wage like at stoke and imagine we have a very different player

Stoke bought him last summer. 

Previously he was on loan at Wolves, where he scored 6 in 16. They took up the option to buy him at £10million and sold him for £2million profit in the same window. 

30 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Am I missing something? He's had like one decent championship season and not done anything for years. Why are people excited about this??

The way I look at it is that we have a 26 year old who has previously proven himself at this level. 

Since then he may have joined clubs where their style of play, the positions they played him in or managerial lack of coaching abiltiy or eagerness to improve him meant that he didnt flourish.

Give the guy a chance to play with new players in a new set up where we will work tirelessly to get the best out of him and improve his game and then make a judgement.

Personally I think he'll be a great success. He's a powerful striker, relatively fast and likes to play off the shoulder. He'd work well with a creative player in behind and I imagine if played upfront with Diedhiou, they'd cause havoc. 

The interview someone posted earlier regarding earlier showed him speaking well and looking really positive. He explained his difficulties on and off the field last season and sounds raring to go this season.

Archived