Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Selred

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

1 minute ago, jjcarrera1974 said:

My Bournemouth mate said worse striker ever - couldn’t hit a cows ass with a banjo - usual shit-show from city 😞

Maybe he said that. But we know he is better than that. He had 18 decent months with Wolves and earned a big money move to the Premier League. He isn't a Premier League striker but neither are Rhodes, Nakhi Wells, Jordan Hugill or most players we have been linked with. Let's see what happens. He has 36 goals in 106 games at this level, which is slightly better than one in three. It's not terrible. 

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

i'd say it's fairly big risk as there's gonna be a shit load of pressure on him to be our best striker now, people broadly dont rate Fam or Taylor to score enough to take us up & Lansdown is adamant we need to finish 6th.

Only as much pressure as would have been put on Nketiah. 

11 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Had a tough couple of seasons but is a number 9 and will hit double figures I reckon. Stoke a tough place to play last season.

I do think this signing was a long way down Johnson’s list of preferred strikers however.

Will hit double figures :laugh:. You'd expect a MIDFIELDER to hit double figures

• Unicorn 1

6 minutes ago, Make a Sub said:

Oh well!! Desperation by MA here. 

And what would you prefer...?! 

Not his fault we got shafted. 

Weve just signed a proven championship striker. Not first choice, but a decent addition all the same. 

• Like 6

Man we sign a player and he gets so much hate because he's not x or y. 

Afobe is a proven championship striker, he's been playing in a horrendous Stoke team (3 wins since Jones took over). 

If we can get him playing like he did at wolves then the goals will come. 

He's a good signing is he the 20 goal striker we all wanted? Time will tell. 

• Like 8

He's here on loan. We haven't paid 10 million for him. Up to 5 minutes before the deadline we had no one. At least it's competition and numbers if we have injuries. If he gets his form back in what I think is a better side than Stoke, then he could be a 20 goals plus striker....

• Like 3

If this is true I’m not sure how I feel about this. I remember in league one he looked an outstanding talent, and repeated that form into the championship. 

However he’s had a poor spell since joining Bournemouth and then Stoke.

Ive always seen him as a powerful striker who was clinical (although my views about being clinical has been reserved after the last couple of seasons).

I’m welcoming of his signing, if it’s true, and will reserve my judgement on him as I think he’s a bit of a wildcard - I know I’m sitting on the fence! 

So funny seeing people moaning about this... We literally were down to the wire and we've pulled out Benik Afobe. Are any of you seriously suggesting we'd be better off with nothing, which is where we were about 45 minutes ago? 

Looking at our incomings and lack of outgoings this window, brilliant work by the club. Yes it would have been nice to have Nketiah, but we've got a proven Championship goal scorer and some fantastic additions to the rest of the team with Pereria, Masssengo, Nagy, and Afobe, all in the past 5 days!

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe he said that. But we know he is better than that. He had 18 decent months with Wolves and earned a big money move to the Premier League. He isn't a Premier League striker but neither are Rhodes, Nakhi Wells, Jordan Hugill or most players we have been linked with. Let's see what happens. He has 36 goals in 106 games at this level, which is slightly better than one in three. It's not terrible. 

It's worse than Famara, and apparently he is awful .... 

He's probably about 19th choice, but I'm not unhappy at this signing. Proven at championship level. Harsh to judge him just on his time at Stoke, could well be just wrong club for him. 

9 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

I can see Ashton spouting this , the spins going to be incredible 

He won’t. Think he will be pretty straightforward and hopefully reflect on a poor day and an excellent window overall

1 minute ago, ProjectMayhem said:

The pessimism on here... 

Absolutely. Too many setting up to scream abuse at the club for not signing a striker and have now had to change it to getting angry about who we`ve actually signed.

FWIW I think he`s a good player who was shabbily treated by Wolves and Stoke and has a point to prove.

Welcome Benik, tear it up son!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This is the end of the night in the club when all the fit birds have gone off with other blokes, and you take home the minger in the corner. 

In my experience there usually right goers, there just grateful for the attention 

If, in his welcome interview, he talks in a slightly sexy foreign accent and says "adrenaline rush" early doors, it's a YES from me. :chant6ez:

Edited by Chivs

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Will hit double figures :laugh:. You'd expect a MIDFIELDER to hit double figures

He’s a striker you plum

• Confused 1

Can't believe people moaning. He has pedigree and if he can get back to the form of a few years ago, a great signing.

Not necessarily desperation either. We may have had talks going on a while but only allowed to leave when Stoke got Hogan in. I'd prefer Afobe over Hogan too. Hopefully we have an option to buy.

Edited by citywest30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think quite a good addition- out of the blue too!

Tough time at Stoke but better mobility than Diedhiou, better technically?

Reasonably happy! Rowett and it seems Jones don't seem the best style wise. In the right setup he can do well IMO.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

He’s a striker you plum

That's what I'm saying. Of course he should bloody hit double figures - you'd expect a midfielder to hit that, let alone a striker

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Absolutely. Too many setting up to scream abuse at the club for not signing a striker and have now had to change it to getting angry about who we`ve actually signed.

FWIW I think he`s a good player who was shabbily treated by Wolves and Stoke and has a point to prove.

Welcome Benik, tear it up son!

Why shabbily treated RRH?  Genuinely interested. 

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This is the end of the night in the club when all the fit birds have gone off with other blokes, and you take home the minger in the corner. 

I suppose Afobe could say the same about us 😂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pigeon said:

So funny seeing people moaning about this... We literally were down to the wire and we've pulled out Benik Afobe. Are any of you seriously suggesting we'd be better off with nothing, which is where we were about 45 minutes ago? 

Looking at our incomings and lack of outgoings this window, brilliant work by the club. Yes it would have been nice to have Nketiah, but we've got a proven Championship goal scorer and some fantastic additions to the rest of the team with Pereria, Masssengo, Nagy, and Afobe, all in the past 5 days!

Out of likes, but I agree 100%.

There we go, plan B, C, D or E that's how it works we got a player of quality.

Well done to all involved now can the hysterics go give their heads a big wobble.

Whether he delivers or is played in the system that suits him and the team best is up to others but looks like Ashton did his job.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Haha love the halfhearted welcome 

I guess? Was not meant quite like that. There  is of course some risk here, but there also was with the young Arsenal lad. We are simply not going to sign the top scorer in the Championship last season, whatever we may want. This has real potential if it comes right. That is where we are.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

it's clearly Plan T though, which is the real worry

Thought it was Plan AA - seeing as we've already been through the alphabet once.

Welcome aboard at BCFC, Benik

Thanks for signing up just as we were beginning to think no one was coming at all

All the best my friend, I'm really hoping you can show all the miserable lot on here that you can be a decent loan signing

and this time next season a few people are eating their words.

All the best!

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Man we sign a player and he gets so much hate because he's not x or y. 

Afobe is a proven championship striker, he's been playing in a horrendous Stoke team (3 wins since Jones took over). 

If we can get him playing like he did at wolves then the goals will come. 

He's a good signing is he the 20 goal striker we all wanted? Time will tell. 

Init bruv.