Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Selred

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

as it's a loan, think could be good business considering the last 2 days. Watched Rowlett discussing him and said if you give him service he will score, with some the quality around him, it may work out well

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think quite a good addition- out of the blue too!

Tough time at Stoke but better mobility than Diedhiou, better technically?

Reasonably happy! Rowett and it seems Jones don't seem the best style wise. In the right setup he can do well IMO.

Having listened to some of the going ons at Stoke I’m not surprised he’s not performed as the club had become a poisonous culture

I hope he does well and proves to be the player we all hope he is and bangs in lots of goals

A slight upgrade on Fam in my opinion because of his previous success at this level

Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's worse than Famara, and apparently he is awful .... 

1 in 2 record near enough before going to the Premier League to play in a struggling Bournemouth side which obviously skews the average.

He's 26, not 35. He's got time and the potential to recapture his earlier form. 

People need to look beyond just his stats though. He has played in a terrible Stoke side but that isn't representative of him as a player necessarily.

He's quick, agile, natural goalscorer, plenty of Championship and Prem experience. Could be exactly what we need.

• Like 6

The positive spin is we have a 26 year old who has done it at this level before, does not seem to have question marks around his attitude and clearly has something to prove. It could be a much better signing than we all think. 

He needs this to work at least as much as we do. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

Happy with this. If you asked me for realistic striker targets at the start of the window then Afobe would have been one of them.

Seems to suit this level and if we can get him back to his Wolves promotion form of a few seasons ago then we have a player on our hands.

Well done Mr Ashton.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

The positive spin is we have a 26 year old who has done it at this level before, does not seem to have question marks around his attitude and clearly has something to prove. It could be a much better signing than we all think. 

And...it could have been Berahino!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Both wrong, loans can still be done a week after deadline. Strange

Sorry your wrong. I was right. Only loans now for Leagues 1 and 2. Not sure for how long though.

1 minute ago, nellie said:

This move has mad panic plastered all over it

Well obviously. That doesn't mean it's not a potentially smart move though. Rumours suggest Nketiah fell through, so we tried for a huge signing in Austin, then a safer option in Reid.

This, overall, seems pretty flipping sensible compared to some of the names chucked around here today. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think quite a good addition- out of the blue too!

Tough time at Stoke but better mobility than Diedhiou, better technically?

Reasonably happy! Rowett and it seems Jones don't seem the best style wise. In the right setup he can do well IMO.

Much better technically. He is more of a goalscorer (can be a poacher), quicker, better on the ball. Reasonably physical too. He's better in a 2 as the goalscorer - thrived at Wolves with Nouha Dicko where Dicko was the workhorse.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

1 in 2 record near enough before going to the Premier League to play in a struggling Bournemouth side which obviously skews the average.

He's 26, not 35. He's got time and the potential to recapture his earlier form. 

People need to look beyond just his stats though. He has played in a terrible Stoke side but that isn't representative of him as a player necessarily.

He's quick, agile, natural goalscorer, plenty of Championship and Prem experience. Could be exactly what we need.

I totally agree, I'm just trying to defend Famara who's goal to games in the championship is better.  

Not ideal but I’m actually glad we haven’t spunked a load of money on a striker we didn’t really want. Also means Semenyo might still get a look in.

This is low risk and a bit of support for Diedhiou. 

• Like 3

Not in my top 20 of options but I have said multiple time someone is better than no one. Afobe is high risk and high reward. Could derail us a bit or fire us to top 2. We will just have to wait and see

Quite happy with this. Afobe was excellent in the MK Dons team that made the play offs during our League 1 Championship season. In fact got one and assisted one at AG. Got a move to Wolves and did well in the Championship. If we can get him firing we have a good striker.

Edited by Busterrimes
Afobe only scored one

If we weren't linked with Nketiah and Austin, people would've lapped this up. It is a great piece of business given our luck today. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why can't he get in the team at Stoke? Not a dig as such but Stoke are poor, if he's a good goal scorer surely they would't want him gone?

What's the story. 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-benik-afobe-improvement-3087471

Seems his head wasn't in the right place at Stoke which was a factor. Also the club was on a big downer which doesn't help. Probably let him leave as they bought in Scott Hogan yesterday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

So is he any good, that’s all I want to know?

Well he'll certainly run around a bit more than Fam. Not sure he he'll score more goals though.

Was a good player not so long ago, lost his way recently.

Can he resdiscover his mojo?

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why can't he get in the team at Stoke? Not a dig as such but Stoke are poor, if he's a good goal scorer surely they would't want him gone?

What's the story. 

He started on Saturday before being subbed and booed off.....

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Wow what a bunch of unappreciative kids we have on OTIB regarding Afobe

People forget how far this club has come in recent years. 

Bang on this, people on here wouldn’t even be happy if we signed Messi. 

‘He’s too small, f*ckin piss poor from MA’

Edited by Bristolboy_06

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This is the end of the night in the club when all the fit birds have gone off with other blokes, and you take home the minger in the corner. 

I had a mate that always went for the mingers, reckoned that they would be grateful and as such would go like the proverbial barn door all night.

Let’s  hope the proverbial barn door here manifests itself as 20 goals this season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-benik-afobe-improvement-3087471

Seems his head wasn't in the right place at Stoke which was a factor. Also the club was on a big downer which doesn't help. Probably let him leave as they bought in Scott Hogan yesterday.

im good friends with a player from his previous club who said the same he also doesnt rate him very highly i hope hes wrong 

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I had a mate that always went for the mingers, reckoned that they would be grateful and as such would go like the proverbial barn door all night.

Let’s  hope the proverbial barn door here manifests itself as 20 goals this season.

Made my day that has 😂. Here’s to Benik the Barn Door! 

Didn’t he cost someone about £10 Million a couple of seasons ago? A decent player who could just be what we need. 

Be interesting how his goal scoring compares to the Arsenal lad this coming season?

5 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Watching that video you can see he presses the last man well and looks better in a passing team. That MK Dons team passed very well. Not sure Stoke play the same way.

He could suit our style

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Busterrimes said:

Watching that video you can see he presses the last man well and looks better in a passing team. That MK Dons team passed very well. Not sure Stoke play the same way.

He could suit our style

He'll love our long balls then.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Unicorn 1

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

Didn’t he cost someone about £10 Million a couple of seasons ago? A decent player who could just be what we need. 

Be interesting how his goal scoring compares to the Arsenal lad this coming season?

£12m in January this year I believe 

3 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Happy with this and good for Semenya. He could play in a two with either Adobe or Fam. Nearly a perfect transfer window.

Semenya doesn't play football. She's an athlete, although "she" might not be strictly accurate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Mark Ashton's cunning stunt.

Afobe was always our number one target.

I just knew it! Epic banter from the boy Ashton.

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Happy with this and good for Semenya. He could play in a two with either Adobe or Fam. Nearly a perfect transfer window.

Jesus, the problems with this.

Semenya is a mixed-gender mid-distance runner.

Adobe have software such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro to their name.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7