IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's worse than Famara, and apparently he is awful .... 

1 in 2 record near enough before going to the Premier League to play in a struggling Bournemouth side which obviously skews the average.

He's 26, not 35. He's got time and the potential to recapture his earlier form. 

People need to look beyond just his stats though. He has played in a terrible Stoke side but that isn't representative of him as a player necessarily.

He's quick, agile, natural goalscorer, plenty of Championship and Prem experience. Could be exactly what we need.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

The positive spin is we have a 26 year old who has done it at this level before, does not seem to have question marks around his attitude and clearly has something to prove. It could be a much better signing than we all think. 

And...it could have been Berahino!!

1 minute ago, nellie said:

This move has mad panic plastered all over it

Well obviously. That doesn't mean it's not a potentially smart move though. Rumours suggest Nketiah fell through, so we tried for a huge signing in Austin, then a safer option in Reid.

This, overall, seems pretty flipping sensible compared to some of the names chucked around here today. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think quite a good addition- out of the blue too!

Tough time at Stoke but better mobility than Diedhiou, better technically?

Reasonably happy! Rowett and it seems Jones don't seem the best style wise. In the right setup he can do well IMO.

Much better technically. He is more of a goalscorer (can be a poacher), quicker, better on the ball. Reasonably physical too. He's better in a 2 as the goalscorer - thrived at Wolves with Nouha Dicko where Dicko was the workhorse.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

1 in 2 record near enough before going to the Premier League to play in a struggling Bournemouth side which obviously skews the average.

He's 26, not 35. He's got time and the potential to recapture his earlier form. 

People need to look beyond just his stats though. He has played in a terrible Stoke side but that isn't representative of him as a player necessarily.

He's quick, agile, natural goalscorer, plenty of Championship and Prem experience. Could be exactly what we need.

I totally agree, I'm just trying to defend Famara who's goal to games in the championship is better.  

Not ideal but I’m actually glad we haven’t spunked a load of money on a striker we didn’t really want. Also means Semenyo might still get a look in.

This is low risk and a bit of support for Diedhiou. 

6 minutes ago, nellie said:

This move has mad panic plastered all over it

Cheers Sherlock. Of course it has, it's a last minute transfer on deadline day! ?‍♂️

Just because it's a frantic and panicked deal, doesn't mean it's not a good one. LJ had two choices:

1. Take a 26 year old, formerly prolific, Championship striker that fit's our team perfectly on loan for the season

2. Do nothing

I appluad LJ and MA for managing to get this done, if it happens. Unbelievable work at the death

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why can't he get in the team at Stoke? Not a dig as such but Stoke are poor, if he's a good goal scorer surely they would't want him gone?

What's the story. 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-benik-afobe-improvement-3087471

Seems his head wasn't in the right place at Stoke which was a factor. Also the club was on a big downer which doesn't help. Probably let him leave as they bought in Scott Hogan yesterday.

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This is the end of the night in the club when all the fit birds have gone off with other blokes, and you take home the minger in the corner. 

I had a mate that always went for the mingers, reckoned that they would be grateful and as such would go like the proverbial barn door all night.

Let’s  hope the proverbial barn door here manifests itself as 20 goals this season.

Archived