Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Selred

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Being honest... How many people, like myself, completely forgot Afobe even a existed before this story broke?

Being honest like so many others- he was my dream signing.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I could give you a list of 20 strikers we could have pursued but what good will it do? Window over now and we will never know

Lets hear them

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

Let's get the important stuff out the way first

That's got to be fake. I thought all footballers had to have Twitter accounts by law!!!!

4 hours ago, samo II said:

We come a long way when some are disappointed with this signing tbf.

Happy with this - has shown he can score goals at this level; not an ace time at Stoke not alone with that against him.

Makes our forward options look that bit more meaty, and can see him and Fam being a handful for defenders if we can get them a decent supply of chances.

Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to whinge about, seems there are plenty of them on here today, they moan how we so say messed up the Nketiah deal when we were clearly shafted by Emery, a player who’s totally unproven at this level btw, we then sign a proven Championship goalscorer yet it’s not good enough? What planet some are living on I have no idea, couple of seasons back we could only dream of signing players such as Afobe.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think I quite like this signing. 

I think I’d rather have Afobe up front than Diedhiou. 

I think this might work out ok. 

Agree get this guy believing in himself again & he could be a real asset.

Diedhiou on his day is a right handful as well

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That would have signed for us is my point. We won’t ever know. 

Joao, Nketiah, Puscas, Austin, Zohore, Mir, Gallagher, Moore, Success, Assombolonga, Brophy, gaetan laborde and coretin jean. Ok so 12 or so off the top of my head. I am sure you could pick through a few you’d argue about being better. Like Moore who is more a mobile target man with no history in the champ but feel he’d have been a good fit. Or would never sign like laborde or jean but again we don’t know buy they aren’t the highest profile names. 

Honestly, even when thinking about who could be available today his name didn’t cross my mind. Hogan, Wells, Vydra, Austin, Reid and never once did I think Afobe. 

Not a slight on him at all. I hope he does well and I think he has a good platform here to do so. Just wasn’t really on my radar but that is ok because I do not work for the club. 

He's way too busy making suits

• Haha 1

Am I missing something? He's had like one decent championship season and not done anything for years. Why are people excited about this??

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Am I missing something? He's had like one decent championship season and not done anything for years. Why are people excited about this??

He’s the type we’ve been looking for. His biggest asset is his movement off the last defender, he stretches the opposition, he will create opportunities  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

He’s the type we’ve been looking for. His biggest asset is his movement off the last defender, he stretches the opposition, he will create opportunities  

Great finisher too. Unlike famara 

20 minutes ago, Lucan said:

The same reason so many wanted Bobby back I guess.

15 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Great finisher too. Unlike famara 

Have you looked at his goal record? Nothing great about it in my view

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t people say that about Taylor?

5 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Well if they do they’re wrong. That is absolutely NOT what Taylor does. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, City18 said:

After a decent loan in 2018 stoke were happy to pay 12 million for him this January, how bad can he be?

He also was top scorer with 9 for a poor stoke squad last season, of which no one performed well!

Give him a chance in a team with players who try hard rather than turn up uninterested, just to get a premier league wage like at stoke and imagine we have a very different player

Stoke bought him last summer. 

Previously he was on loan at Wolves, where he scored 6 in 16. They took up the option to buy him at £10million and sold him for £2million profit in the same window. 

30 minutes ago, Lucan said:

The way I look at it is that we have a 26 year old who has previously proven himself at this level. 

Since then he may have joined clubs where their style of play, the positions they played him in or managerial lack of coaching abiltiy or eagerness to improve him meant that he didnt flourish.

Give the guy a chance to play with new players in a new set up where we will work tirelessly to get the best out of him and improve his game and then make a judgement.

• Like 3

Personally I think he'll be a great success. He's a powerful striker, relatively fast and likes to play off the shoulder. He'd work well with a creative player in behind and I imagine if played upfront with Diedhiou, they'd cause havoc. 

The interview someone posted earlier regarding earlier showed him speaking well and looking really positive. He explained his difficulties on and off the field last season and sounds raring to go this season.

Edited by Coppello
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toffee dog said:

Do you think there is any chance we will play with two up front? hasn't happened too often lately.

1 hour ago, Toffee dog said:

Absolutely. A lot of Stoke fans saying he was unfairly getting all sorts of stick/abuse.

That can easily destroy confidence. Guessing that's a reason he came to us, so hopefully a fresh start and we can recapture the form he has shown prior. 

7 hours ago, Lez said:

Struggled in recent times. Whether thats down to him or stoke.....time will tell.

A few years ago he ripped us to bits with MK Dons

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

Edited by Mattyisared
  • Rovers 2

32 minutes ago, Mattyisared said:

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

I think you are going to be fuming then

The Loan Window (For about the twentieth time today !) CLOSED AT 5pm TODAY

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Not if they watch him play. A league 1 Dirk Kuyt. 

5 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

Unfortunately Famara’s day is a Thursday

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Stoke fans forum::

positive: we have strengthened our team for a year by getting rid.

positive: we have weakened a competitor's team for a year

positive: in the miracle they will want to buy him at the end of the season, they will actually pay cash for him.

Negative: when they realise how poor he is they will return him to us.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

before you start, I am just quoting. Stoke are a tough crowd to please but can the vast majority of them be wrong? Hope so. Going back a couple of years he was a player at this level.

Ryan Kent was poor for us.  Danny Rose was poor for us. We let Luke Freeman go and now he's in the prem! 

Look, the league is literally littered with players that failed at one club and succeeded at another.  Just because some people didn't get the toy they wanted theyre are having a absolute hissy fit. 

It's all about levels, who is available at the time and who we can afford. Buy players isn't like popping to Tesco. There are soooo many factors involved.

Everyone wants a decent proven striker, of course they do, so you've got the competition. Then you have players. Believe it or not, they have there own mind. Then the parent club. Then the agent. Then the money. Then the location. The the wife and family. The list of everything is endless. 

We've had one of the best windows I've ever seen. We've got around £33.2 million pounds worth sat in the bank and we've bought in some real talent who all hold value. Yes, we didn't get the striker we wanted in, but we got screwed over at the last minute. But guess what, life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, get over it. 

We've still got a **** load of money in the bank, we've tied most of these players on 4 year contracts, so we go again. It's all about levels and we've gone up MASSIVELY.

Edited by Badger08
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

He has gone up ten-fold in my estimation.

Was just about to say the same. I realise this is a massive generalisation, but a significant majority of football fans on twitter are complete whoppers, in my experience.

I do wonder what some people on here would do to themselves if they ever got gazumped buying a house. Would they fire themselves. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pillred said:

Do you think there is any chance we will play with two up front? hasn't happened too often lately.

To be honest I don’t know my guess is we may do on occasions, although your right it doesn’t happen often. Maybe LJ is going to  alter our playing style to suit the players that have come in, we will have to wait & see.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucan said:

Taylor gets in your face and trys todefenders forcing a mistake,

the higher up you go the more ineffective that is,

it’s why he’s an impact sub

Edited by Monkeh

Excited by this signing. I think we'll get more out of him than Stoke ever did. If nothing else it's more competition for Famara which can only be good. 

Let's at least TRY and not judge him until Xmas though please guys?

The new Dele Adebola! He was useless according to some when we signed him. Good luck Benik.

• Like 1

Sorry. Can't be arsed to read 8 pages... can anyone tell me if we have an option to buy at the end of the season if he does well?

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I do wonder what some people on here would do to themselves if they ever got gazumped buying a house. Would they fire themselves. 

If I was Gazumped on a 4 bed semi, I wouldn't buy a one bed flat instead just because it was available..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Comment from a friend who is a Stoke fan.

Don’t let him take penalties but otherwise you have a hardworking fast centre forward I’m surprised Stoke let him go as he was one of best strikers and leaves us short up front!

Comment from another Stoke fan I know.....

If he scored 10 goals in a season it would be a surprise. Hope he scores loads of goals for you so we can get some of our £14 m back! 

36 minutes ago, Lucan said:

If I was Gazumped on a 4 bed semi, I wouldn't buy a one bed flat instead just because it was available..

If there was a couple hours left to decide your home for the next 6 months and the choice was 1 bed flat or homeless I think you would go for that one bed flat. 

I also don't think you would blame yourself for being gazumped?

50 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Your analogy doesn't really work at all.

It's more akin to being gazumped on a really decent plot of land, that has the potential to be turned in to a luxury 4 bedroom detached house, but could just as easily not even get planning permission. Then in the end settling for a nice comfortable 3 bedroom semi that's ready to move in to straight away, and previously served other families very well in the past.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Your analogy doesn't really work at all.

It's more akin to being gazumped on a really decent plot of land, that has the potential to be turned in to a luxury 4 bedroom detached house, but could just as easily not even get planning permission. Then in the end settling for a nice comfortable 3 bedroom semi that's ready to move in to straight away, and previously served other families very well in the past.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this 🤔

No that sounds pretty bang on. 

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Let’s wait and see! If hits the ground running he could be the answer to our goal scoring problem. He had an impressive record at Wolves a couple of seasons ago. 

I should imagine he’d be out to get his career and reputation back on track. 

Haven't been able to look through the whole thread...but has his wages been mentioned?

Stoke were paying massive wages to some players 50k to some by all accounts.

Wonder how much we'll be paying him? 

Shared payment?

Have we broken our wage structure for him etc.

Excuse my ignorance but clearly he has the abilty to score goals at this level. But I wondered if the guy is quick and posses backs of energy,

I think we have been lacking real pace up front and also a striker who can run around for 90 minutes hassling and pestering the opposition..bit like Bobby used to do. Be good if Benik is a bit like that because I dont think Fammy was.

If we can get Benik back to anywhere near his old form we have a very good player on our hands, if not at least we have a half decent player to rotate with Fam and hopefully push him to improve.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haven't been able to look through the whole thread...but has his wages been mentioned?

Stoke were paying massive wages to some players 50k to some by all accounts.

Wonder how much we'll be paying him? 

Shared payment?

Have we broken our wage structure for him etc.

No mention yet but you'd guess we are paying say 50% which could be anything up to £20k as you'd expect a £12m striker to be on at least £40k a week even at this level!

If we had signed a striker of the calibre of Benik Adobe a couple of years ago I would have been astounded and delighted. He was out of our league in terms of profile and cost. 

Whether this signing is a reflection of our increasing status or his deterioration in form remains to be seen. It is probably a combination of both.

I personally think this could prove to be an inspired signing and particularly  since it was apparently arranged at the last moment following the collapse of the Nketiah loan.

Welcome to Bristol City Benik .

• Like 2

His goal to minute ratio for last few seasons were:

Stoke last season - 9 in 3031 mins or roughly 1 in 3.75 (12 goals a season form)

Wolves 17/18 - 6 in 697 mins or roughly 1 in 1.2 (36 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem)16/17 - 6 in 1661 mins or roughly 1 in 3 (15 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem) 15/16 - 4 in 938 mins or roughly 1 in 2.6 (18 goals a season form)

Wolves - 10 in 2129 mins or roughly 1 in 2.3 (19 goals a season form)

Wolves - 13 in 1798 mins or roughly 1 in 1.5 (30 goals a season form) 

Pretty grim reading if you ask me 🙄. He's maybe not had the best 6 months at stoke but give the guy a chance!

Proven at this level? Averaging 18.5 goal a season form in the championship, Yes! 

Proven at prem level? Stats suggest yes!

Stokes forum criticising last few months performances? Maybe, therefore write him off obviously! 

Good enough for bristol city? 100%, welcome Benik!

Edited by City18
  • Like 5

Pleased we’ve got Benik onboard. He’s proved what he can do at Mk Dons and Wolves and a couple of years ago we’d never have been able to sign him. He’s a player I’d have loved the club to sign in the past.

OK so he’s not done as well at Stoke with off field problems no doubt contributing. He says sleeping better and lost weight, fitter etc and looking to show us the old Benik.

Think this could be a very good signing for us.

17 minutes ago, City18 said:

His goal to minute ratio for last few seasons were:

Stoke last season - 9 in 3031 mins or roughly 1 in 3.75 (12 goals a season form)

Wolves 17/18 - 6 in 697 mins or roughly 1 in 1.2 (36 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem)16/17 - 6 in 1661 mins or roughly 1 in 3 (15 goals a season form)

Bournemouth (prem) 15/16 - 4 in 938 mins or roughly 1 in 2.6 (18 goals a season form)

Wolves - 10 in 2129 mins or roughly 1 in 2.3 (19 goals a season form)

Wolves - 13 in 1798 mins or roughly 1 in 1.5 (30 goals a season form) 

Pretty grim reading if you ask me 🙄. He's maybe not had the best 6 months at stoke but give the guy a chance!

Proven at this level? Averaging 18.5 goal a season form in the championship, Yes! 

Proven at prem level? Stats suggest yes!

Stokes forum criticising last few months performances? Maybe, therefore write him off obviously! 

Good enough for bristol city? 100%, welcome Benik!

I demand at least his Wolves 17/18 form or I will boo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1