IGNORED

Expectation for the season

daored

The window is closed, we’ve not brought in a striker that many say we need.

We’ve added a right back and two midfielders to date, of which all three are new to English football, and will undoubtably take time to settle. Add in rumours that Pack is off to Cardiff.

Webster has gone and we’ve not replaced and looks like Moore is the choice to replace him, with Wright & Baker as back up.

So with the squad we have, what are your expectations for the season? I can’t see us improving on last season, and unfortunately I see a season of struggle ahead 

We don't know,. Fundamentally it comes down to four questions.

1) Will Kalas, JD and Palmer re-capture their best form?

2) Will a new club revive Bentely and Afobe to their best?

3) Are Massenga, Pereira and Nagy going to settle and produce what they appear to be capable of?

4) Can Taylor Moore and Liam Walsh step up to replace Webster and Pack?

We don't know the answer to any of those questions. If everything goes well, we could seriously challenge. If not, we may be looking at mid-table. The club have sold before and we've improved on our league position. We just have to trust them to do it again.

Not so much expectation, but hope.

Hope that all the absolute idiots that have been throwing their toys out of the pram  over the transfer business this summer, and especially over the club's attempts at signing a striker and have directed ridicule and abuse to Mark Ashton, are made to eat their words.

43 minutes ago, pigeon said:

1205603311_lineup(3).png.5aa63dfafee6730da0f82a23da1d7293.png

If you don't think this is an upgrade on last season, I can't help you

I’m not sure how can say it’s an upgrade , we’ve signed three players who’ve never played in the championship before. Possibly not used to 3 games every 10 days. They may hit the ground running and be sensational or it may take them half a season to adjust.

I must admit I’ve never seen the three play previously, so will reserve judgement 

Three players from last season, one of whom was mostly a bench warmer. A striker who has lost his way, three promising but untried unknowns, Sammie unknown, Cundy at least a season away, maybe Rowe will turn out to be the unexpected gem, adding solidity and experience to a very transitional team. If the players develop well, and adapt to English Leagues (And we don’t get relegated!), could be exciting times ahead. 

To be honest I don’t think anyone has a bloody clue how this will turn out

A lot of good technical players who can move the ball and with pace. If we can get the midfield to click then that will be the crucial element 

Need to find a place for Eliasson to feed Afobe/Palmer 

No idea how we set up but I dare say the coaching team will be doing a lot on the training pitch and bonding sessions to integrate all the new lads 

So all the pre-season "training/holiday bonding" is right out the window with virtually a new team brought in this window. So where do we go from here...obviously "down to the lake I fear" but seriously though who knows and who knows who LJ will choose/will start and where.

Certainly a clear out and he will have to pull out all the stops to make this load of strangers into a top six team......good luck with that LJ you will be earning your money if you get anywhere close.  

Got to be better than 8th. The club made it clear they wanted to progress and improve this season as we have done for the last few years. We've spent money, bought in some players of good pedigree. 

It's also (on paper) a weaker league than last season so looks a good opportunity. I'd like to think the club were aiming for playoffs this season - and that's my expectation too.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

We don't know,. Fundamentally it comes down to four questions.

1) Will Kalas, JD and Palmer re-capture their best form?

2) Will a new club revive Bentely and Afobe to their best?

3) Are Massenga, Pereira and Nagy going to settle and produce what they appear to be capable of?

4) Can Taylor Moore and Liam Walsh step up to replace Webster and Pack?

We don't know the answer to any of those questions. If everything goes well, we could seriously challenge. If not, we may be looking at mid-table. The club have sold before and we've improved on our league position. We just have to trust them to do it again.

That is 4 very big IFs

Stoke and Bournemouth fans are wetting themselves about Afobe. Hope he proves them wrong, but...

I was incredibly positive when Massenga landed on the weekend and had total faith in the Club to sort at least one quality striker and a CB. We would then be in a cracking position to push top 6.

We are now seem to be in a spin the bottle position (like a promoted club) which is unforgivable really, when you think of the fees received.

I also think that losing Webster is going to be a much bigger blow, than people are prepared to accept...

Anyway it’s done and dusted now, so let’s get behind the boys and hope the magic somehow works again !!

1 hour ago, pigeon said:

1205603311_lineup(3).png.5aa63dfafee6730da0f82a23da1d7293.png

If you don't think this is an upgrade on last season, I can't help you

Moore/Baker not as good as Webster.

Pereira/Massengo/Nagy were never heard of a few days ago so you don’t know if they are better.

Afobe had a worse goal scoring record than Fammy last season.

I very excited about this team but to suggest it’s an upgrade at this point is quite a prediction!

Archived