IGNORED

Reflections on the window...one of our best ever?

cityexile

All got overshadowed by the young lad from Arsenal, but at the end of it:

-   Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer all ours:

-   Bristol City signing players from some of the top European clubs (I know, who would have though it on a cold day at Chesterfield):

-   Also spent best part of £8m on a kid who looks like they might be quite decent.

-   Looked like we were going to get no striker, then wham, a half decent one at the last moment.

Overall rating B+. A shame on the one we missed, but we got loads.

Huge congrats to MA, LJ and SL. Must be knackered. Go and have a half of cider and relax for a bit!

I'd agree with that. I'm also going to stick my neck out and say:

1) Taylor Moore will take a while to settle and, whilst he will not be Webster's standard this season, we will ultimately be glad to have given him a chance rather than got someone in.

2) Afobe will get more goals than Nketiah this season.

3) We will be there or thereabouts the play-offs.

Happy for this to be bumped and me mocked if need be come the end of the season. I'm quietly confident that won't happen on any of the three counts. 

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

All got overshadowed by the young lad from Arsenal, but at the end of it:

-   Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer all ours:

-   Bristol City signing players from some of the top European clubs (I know, who would have though it on a cold day at Chesterfield):

-   Also spent best part of £8m on a kid who looks like they might be quite decent.

-   Looked like we were going to get no striker, then wham, a half decent one at the last moment.

Overall rating B+. A shame on the one we missed, but we got loads.

Huge contracts to MA, LJ and SL. Must be knackered. Go and have a half of cider and relax for a bit!

Agreed but be prepared to be bombarded by all those who are going to send their cv to Steve because they could make a better job of it.

I agree - transformational...but leaves us as a club in transition I feel. Which could be tough and things may take time to settle.

For all the excitement on days like today, and all the over-excited comment and speculation, City fans have been very patient over the years...feels to me as though more patience is needed.

I agree, generally. I think only during the course of the season, will we be able to tell how good (or otherwise) the window has been for us. 

If the new foreign lads settle quickly, in could indeed have been one of our best. 

If Afobe gets fit, sharp & in form, he’s a great addition. 

If Wright and/or Baker stay fit, then hopefully Webster won’t be too massively missed. 

Its going to be interesting...? ?

Just now, pigeon said:

1388074025_lineup(3).png.82f308d7d05ff347cd5ac78e245d8e9f.png

Just posted this in another thread... Brilliant window and no doubt that we have a stronger squad this season than last so LJ did exactly what he said.

Great job to all involved. 

Mental. I don't recognise this team at all! If you throw Szmodics in there as well, it's a completely unrecognisable side to that of two months ago. I have no idea how good this side is; it will take a while to gel given the late additions.

Just now, Coppello said:

Mental. I don't recognise this team at all! If you throw Szmodics in there as well, it's a completely unrecognisable side to that of two months ago. I have no idea how good this side is; it will take a while to gel given the late additions.

I forgot about Tommy Rowe as well! He looked sharp in the bits I saw from pre-season so another string to our bow

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I agree - transformational...but leaves us as a club in transition I feel. Which could be tough and things may take time to settle.

For all the excitement on days like today, and all the over-excited comment and speculation, City fans have been very patient over the years...feels to me as though more patience is needed.

We have been quietly fairly ruthless I think. In particular I reckon LJ concluded that his midfield was not able to deliver either in defence or attack.

We look stronger in both ways imo. Players will take time to settle but I see this as a positive development.

What I don’t quite understand is that I thought the idea was gradual progress season on season, introducing home grown youngsters along the way.  How does signing twelve new players fit with that?  Presumably an awful lot of young players will have to go out on loan to make space for them, but I’m a little disappointed that we appear to have moved into a  zone where players like Morrell, who I really rate, are not given the chance to show what they can do.  Oh well, welcome to the new world I suppose.  This does feel like a quantum shift for the club though.

3 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

It's been positive in terms of getting players in but made a mockery of pre-season training and tactical planning.

Fear the next few games are going to be a bit disjointed

That is an inevitable consequence of having a fixed transfer window. If I was the manager of a club I would absolutely hate it as you can't really start work until the window has closed.

Fantastic window imo...

Afobe is proven and a changed player this season by all accounts. Back to his best hopefully.

The Nketiah saga has overshadowed everything...no one knows how he will play in the Championship...could work out a complete flop in this league.

All three of the foreign lads look like quality signings. Faster, more technical, good engines...good footballing brains.

The Pack sale was good too...think he's past his best. Looks too slow now.

Szmodicks is exciting and has quality.

DaSilva, Kalas...top draw.

My only 'meh' signing is Palmer.

Needs so much work on his all round game imo.

Bentley a quality Keeper with great distribution.

Only downside, is we've got so many players that won't even make the bench.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fantastic window imo...

Afobe is proven and a changed player this season by all accounts. Back to his best hopefully.

The Nketiah saga has overshadowed everything...no one knows how he will play in the Championship...could work out a complete flop in this league.

All three of the foreign lads look like quality signings. Faster, more technical, good engines...good footballing brains.

The Pack sale was good too...think he's past his best. Looks too slow now.

Szmodicks is exciting and has quality.

DaSilva, Kalas...top draw.

My only 'meh' signing is Palmer.

Needs so much work on his all round game imo.

Bentley a quality Keeper with great distribution.

Only downside, is we've got so many players that won't even make the bench.

Spud, agree with most of this especially the description of the players.

My only concern, and it is only that at this stage as I’ve not seen a lot of the newbies play, is that we don’t have that experienced head to put their foot on the ball and ‘calm’ things down when we may need too. Most of the new guys, especially in midfield, are youngsters...we could maybe do with a bit of experience just to take the sting out of the game now and again.

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Nagy and Massengo would swap 

You're relentless mate ?

Thought we'd been over this, he's primarily a CDM based on his previous experience. However, does seem he have the ability to play in pretty much any central role so you might be right, LJ could move him forward.

17 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

It's been positive in terms of getting players in but made a mockery of pre-season training and tactical planning.

Fear the next few games are going to be a bit disjointed

That is entirely fair, it does feel like a whole new team, and LJ can be a bit of a tinker at the best of times. Question will be how quickly can he shape them in to a side.

Very good overall.

Happy with Afobe. Would've preferred Reid but if we can get him on form Afobe will be really good I think.

Slightly concerned we didn't replace Webster, but Baker and Wright should be good enough alongside Kalas until January where we could potentially revisit.

If the rumoured Pack fee (750k) is true, that seems a bit of an unnecessary sale. 

7 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

My only concern, and it is only that at this stage as I’ve not seen a lot of the newbies play, is that we don’t have that experienced head to put their foot on the ball and ‘calm’ things down when we may need too. Most of the new guys, especially in midfield, are youngsters...we could maybe do with a bit of experience just to take the sting out of the game now and again.

could we build the side around Kalas? Took the armband in one of the preseason matches unless I'm wrong...admittedly it was match in which everyone played.

8 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

It'll definitely be exciting seeing how this new team develops.

I'm guessing MA will be working overtime now to off load some in January.

Easily the best transfer window....the players we have signed is a mix of proven class but also still have potential to improve and also some hot prospects we shouldn’t even be in the running for. We’ve made a ridiculous amount of profit on players sold which Ashton should be given a knighthood for....I  think we all would of like that striker. But sometimes things don’t go to plan. The Eddie deal was months of effort that almost worked but sadly things happened which they had no control of..

some of of the negative comments online from city fans have been cringeworthy and reminds you how lucky you are that you didn’t grow up to be like them .

Ok so we didn't get Eddie but long term he was never going to be ours. Afobe is still only 26 & if we get him back to his best we may find we have unearthed a bargain come next season when otherwise the search would start all over again. Afobe & Semenyo could be explosive to say the least! 

6 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Easily the best transfer window....the players we have signed is a mix of proven class but also still have potential to improve and also some hot prospects we shouldn’t even be in the running for. We’ve made a ridiculous amount of profit on players sold which Ashton should be given a knighthood for....I  think we all would of like that striker. But sometimes things don’t go to plan. The Eddie deal was months of effort that almost worked but sadly things happened which they had no control of..

some of of the negative comments online from city fans have been cringeworthy and reminds you how lucky you are that you didn’t grow up to be like them .

What, better than the summer before the promotion season?  I certainly hope so, but that was some window...

My reflections are

@Knighty has a mate

@Kid in the Riot is the only one on here really in the know

the roof is now the most exciting place in the ground

we have been linked to 275 strikers and got one in with 2mins to spare

it is no point looking at the transfer forum as until it is on official site it’s pointless

probably the most exciting summer of transfers we have ever had!!

Archived