IGNORED

Reflections on the window...one of our best ever?

cityexile

Good window but because we had the loans last season it might be harder to see that we've got better in most departments.

Bentley is likely to be an upgrade on Fielding.  Maenpaa backup still and Gilmartin likely here for coaching more than anything.

Right back Pereira may well be ahead of Hunt and Wright is cover.

Centre back - losing Webster was a blow but hard to avoid, signing Kalas was a coup.  If Moore emerges we still have competent competition in Baker and Wright.

Left back Dasilva is better now than Kelly though Kelly may have a higher ceiling - again hard to avoid selling him.

Central midfield looks much better as long as Nagy and Massengo are as good as reputations.  Rowe looks steady and covers left back too.  We've still got Brownhill, Pack maybe? and Smith to return from injury.

Wide looks a little light with just Elliasson and O'Dowda as natural wingers.  Perhaps now there's an opportunity to get O'Dowda back on the same page.

For attacking midfield / in behind we have a few choices in Palmer, Paterson, Szmodics.

Up front we've added Afobe, and Semenyo will be considered alongside Diedhiou, Weimann and Taylor.  We've lost that lad who never played.

The downside is the squad is quite heavy though - we might see some of Watkins, Taylor, Adelakun, Bakinson and Walsh leave on loan or perm (think they can move to league one still?).

Even the most pessimistic would have a hard time saying it's not a stronger squad and first XI.  The emphasis now is on the coach to turn it into a style that we enjoy and is successful.

13 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Easily the best transfer window....the players we have signed is a mix of proven class but also still have potential to improve and also some hot prospects we shouldn’t even be in the running for. We’ve made a ridiculous amount of profit on players sold which Ashton should be given a knighthood for....I  think we all would of like that striker. But sometimes things don’t go to plan. The Eddie deal was months of effort that almost worked but sadly things happened which they had no control of..

some of of the negative comments online from city fans have been cringeworthy and reminds you how lucky you are that you didn’t grow up to be like them .

An unbelievable transfer window I agree. But I'd bet that most of the negative comments will be forgotten or retracted if things click. Heat of the moment and all that. I find it all very amusing. Such a shame if it divides the fan base. We all want City to succeed.

44 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Mental. I don't recognise this team at all! If you throw Szmodics in there as well, it's a completely unrecognisable side to that of two months ago. I have no idea how good this side is; it will take a while to gel given the late additions.

Well I can’t wait to see how much our style will change. The amount of technical ability, pace and power is definitely an upgrade on last season but they need to gel pretty damn quickly 

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Good window but because we had the loans last season it might be harder to see that we've got better in most departments.

Bentley is likely to be an upgrade on Fielding.  Maenpaa backup still and Gilmartin likely here for coaching more than anything.

Right back Pereira may well be ahead of Hunt and Wright is cover.

Centre back - losing Webster was a blow but hard to avoid, signing Kalas was a coup.  If Moore emerges we still have competent competition in Baker and Wright.

Left back Dasilva is better now than Kelly though Kelly may have a higher ceiling - again hard to avoid selling him.

Central midfield looks much better as long as Nagy and Massengo are as good as reputations.  Rowe looks steady and covers left back too.  We've still got Brownhill, Pack maybe? and Smith to return from injury.

Wide looks a little light with just Elliasson and O'Dowda as natural wingers.  Perhaps now there's an opportunity to get O'Dowda back on the same page.

For attacking midfield / in behind we have a few choices in Palmer, Paterson, Szmodics.

Up front we've added Afobe, and Semenyo will be considered alongside Diedhiou, Weimann and Taylor.  We've lost that lad who never played.

The downside is the squad is quite heavy though - we might see some of Watkins, Taylor, Adelakun, Bakinson and Walsh leave on loan or perm (think they can move to league one still?).

Even the most pessimistic would have a hard time saying it's not a stronger squad and first XI.  The emphasis now is on the coach to turn it into a style that we enjoy and is successful.

Patterson gone to derby on loan for the season

lineup(1).png.796102a2e12d1c926757e4f0658ea220.png

Would prefer Semenyo to O'Dowda simply due to the fact he's liekly to be here longer, and being blunt is more physical. Nagy would be defensive alongside him to help out in that regard. Swap Brownhill in perhaps to slowly introduce Massengo to the Championship. As other mention, Nagy is more defensive than Massengo imo, but both give us a platform with Noah acting more as a DLP. Semenyo and Eliasson can both tuck inside on their stronger feet, meaning DaSilva and Perreira have room to overlap to create an overload on either side.

Can only wait and see, it's LJ after all.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

lineup(1).png.796102a2e12d1c926757e4f0658ea220.png

Would prefer Semenyo to O'Dowda simply due to the fact he's liekly to be here longer, and being blunt is more physical. Nagy would be defensive alongside him to help out in that regard. Swap Brownhill in perhaps to slowly introduce Massengo to the Championship. As other mention, Nagy is more defensive than Massengo imo, but both give us a platform with Noah acting more as a DLP. Semenyo and Eliasson can both tuck inside on their stronger feet, meaning DaSilva and Perreira have room to overlap to create an overload on either side.

Can only wait and see, it's LJ after all.

Why would we play Semenyo wide?  He's a striker isn't he?

I think O'Dowda will play but also worth remembering that Rowe can do that role and with Dasilva overlapping we might be better with a midfielder rather than a winger there particularly if we're playing two up top.

22 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What, better than the summer before the promotion season?  I certainly hope so, but that was some window...

The difference then was that we had the biggest budget in the division and were a draw for the players we wanted.

We're in a much more competitive field now. Even if we are able to offer the same fee and wages for a player if a bigger club comes in we are likely to lose out.

Not that some of fans can grasp that mind you.

11 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Why would we play Semenyo wide?  He's a striker isn't he?

I think O'Dowda will play but also worth remembering that Rowe can do that role and with Dasilva overlapping we might be better with a midfielder rather than a winger there particularly if we're playing two up top.

Played wide with Newport faily often, which is why his Goal return on paper was not fantastic. Think it was specifically Leicester in the cup that he played wide left, and switched flanks with Robbie Wilmott? - Who went onto get the assist for the Jamille Matt goal, peach of a cross - Wilmott that is.

Semenyo was against Simpson (?) feel free to correct me, and ended that man's career so badly he got released.

Edit - found the quote regardin Keown;

"In front of the BBC cameras, Newport's Antoine Semenyo showed he is a star in the making,” wrote Keown in his Daily Mail column.

“The forward impressed me with everything he did against Leicester.

“He took on a Premier League-winning right-back in Danny Simpson and gave him a torrid time. Such were the problems Semenyo caused him that Claude Puel took him off after an hour."

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Played wide with Newport faily often, which is why his Goal return on paper was not fantastic. Think it was specifically Leicester in the cup that he played wide left, and switched flanks with Robbie Wilmott? - Who went onto get the assist for the Jamille Matt goal, peach of a cross - Wilmott that is.

Semenyo was against Simpson (?) feel free to correct me, and ended that man's career so badly he got released.

Fair enough, you know more about him than me.  If he's a good winger that's welcome news to me, it's probably the only place we're a bit light.

Excellent window, which perhaps ended a bit overshadowed by the En saga.

If at the end of last season we thought we would get all 3 Chelski lads in exchange for Lloyd Kelly, then I think we would all have bitten someone's hand off 

Add to this what is a very good keeper, a couple of seasoned pros, and some young lads touted as some of the best in Europe in midfield

With Benik only being a loan I think was a smart move and hopefully can get back to best with a point to prove.

The fans may have to be patient, as integrating this many new players will take some time and possible short term pain

Just now, Nibor said:

Fair enough, you know more about him than me.  If he's a good winger that's welcome news to me, it's probably the only place we're a bit light.

Don't get me wrong Nibor, primarily a striker, but with Afobe, Deidhiou, and Weimann, he's more likely - imo - to get game time in front of Callum.

Having got over the shock of us not signing Messi for £150 and a years supply of Natch , have we ever had a window like this in any of our life times ? We rake in £35m selling TWO players ( could the Gas ever even dream of this ?  ) we sign half a dozen players including Internationals and France’s hottest young talent and eventually we get competition for Fammy without taking a wild pint on an inexperienced loanee . Who knows , maybe all Fammy needs is competition? Let’s face it he’s NEVER had any ! In the cold light of day NOT A BAD WINDOW so let’s give whoever wears that shirt 100% support ! 

46 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

My reflections are

@Knighty has a mate

@Kid in the Riot is the only one on here really in the know

the roof is now the most exciting place in the ground

we have been linked to 275 strikers and got one in with 2mins to spare

it is no point looking at the transfer forum as until it is on official site it’s pointless

probably the most exciting summer of transfers we have ever had!!

I'm looking forward to finding out what actually the **** has happened over the past couple of days...

It's like Deadline Day woke up this morning and started bombing ket.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm looking forward to finding out what actually the **** has happened over the past couple of days...

It's like Deadline Day woke up this morning and started bombing ket.

Yeah you better mate, we were all hanging into your word about nketiah ?

thanks for all the info you have shared when you can

I thank Pack and Patterson for their great contribution but I'm excited they're gone.

There's no place to hide now, and Lee's safe option is no more - players will have to perform and hit the ground running.

Timing is particularly interesting - I'd have thought both would have been instrumental to our pre season training and plans - do we rip it all up, or try and swap them in like for like?

Were the old guard not happy about being replaced, or was this a natural conclusion as a result of their skill and our ambitions?

Those two departures are what have really made it equal parts exciting and interesting for me.

Easily the most exciting, productive and stressful window ever. Loved it and pretty much every box ticked now. We are well equipped to push on and make this season one of, maybe THE best season ever. Really looking forward to Saturday now. Birmingham tickets arrived today as well so buzzing. Need to spend the next 48 hours squatting up on all the new boys names. Bring it on. We are ready!!!!

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

All got overshadowed by the young lad from Arsenal, but at the end of it:

-   Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer all ours:

-   Bristol City signing players from some of the top European clubs (I know, who would have though it on a cold day at Chesterfield):

-   Also spent best part of £8m on a kid who looks like they might be quite decent.

-   Looked like we were going to get no striker, then wham, a half decent one at the last moment.

Overall rating B+. A shame on the one we missed, but we got loads.

Huge congrats to MA, LJ and SL. Must be knackered. Go and have a half of cider and relax for a bit!

WELL SAID

Archived