IGNORED

Reflections on the window...one of our best ever?

cityexile

Think this window is something of a make or break. We’ve spent huge money on Kalas and Massengo, transformed our strategy by bringing in players like Dasilva, Pereira and Palmer and added a top drawer Championship striker in Afobe.

The worries come over what happens if they don’t fit. The failure to get Nketiah, the sales of Webster and Pack, could easily be seen as catalyst for a disruption amongst squad relations as well as the harmony between MA, LJ and the board, if blame starts to shift around.

This could easily be the best window so far in the club’s history. This could also be the start of an interesting documentary about where it all went wrong for Bristol City.

Hmmm.  I'd say it is one of the riskiest transfer windows ever. All our new foreign additions seem potentially exciting, but we've seen in the past that not all promising foreign players settle and deliver the goods.

At the same time we've sold Pack for a pittance to a direct rival and even more baffiing loaned Patto- a guy who genuinely can transform games as a super sub - to another.

As for Adfobe, we have to hope he isn't the same ineffectual figure we saw last season and the move away from the Britannia Stadium reinvigorates his career. Maybe it will, but this is also uncertain. 

I'll hold fire on how successful this transfer window was until I see how the new team mesh.

Its certainly not a middle of the road kind of transfer window. The word that comes to mind is bold. A very bold transfer window that may well define LJ's time here - one way or another. Midfield is an absolute unknown quantity for the championship. Afobe on the other hand is proven and a shrewd bit of business.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Something we’ve lacked in the past.

LJ favourites like Pack and Pato deemed no longer good enough.

Will this ruthlessness extend to coaches if the required level is not reached ? 

I think so i see this very much as a watershed moment. Only so many cycles that one or a handful can go through so im intersted to see what happens

We have sold the family silver and we have bought expensive brass replicas. Webster, Kelly both gone. Loyal servants like Pack & Patterson both gone.

I have a bad feeling about this, especially after last Sunday's disjointed performance. 

The main need was a new striker. The wunderkind from Monaco is still to young. Nobody who is any good chose to come here (including Bobby Reid)  and all we have is a declining journeyman from a declining Stoke City. 

How can anyone call this a success?

Happy to trust in LJ and team - to me looks like an exciting squad coming together and one which has been strengthened, youthfully in key areas. Add in youngsters coming through like Taylor Moore, Semenyo and Janneh and plenty to look forward to.

33 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

We have sold the family silver and we have bought expensive brass replicas. Webster, Kelly both gone. Loyal servants like Pack & Patterson both gone.

I have a bad feeling about this, especially after last Sunday's disjointed performance. 

The main need was a new striker. The wunderkind from Monaco is still to young. Nobody who is any good chose to come here (including Bobby Reid)  and all we have is a declining journeyman from a declining Stoke City. 

doomed.jpg.8930cb527bc4e3887ae314cd8d8f6cdc.jpg

Only the insiders know.

If half of these have been targets for some time when we hit a bad patch, we will under WeeLee, he'll be forgiven. If on the other hand this is all last minute because pre-season and opening game look, well disasterous might sum it up, then he'll be given time.

As previous, we've spent big to acquire what we had before and supplemented with a few unknowns (save perhaps to those who really know their footy and whom we hope are correct.) The loan striker wouldn't have been on my first list and doesn't score enough for my liking, but if the plan is for him to link with Didgeridoo ( at Weimann's expense) it'll be a risk worth taking.

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

This could easily be the best window so far in the club’s history. This could also be the start of an interesting documentary about where it all went wrong for Bristol City.

...the documentary opens with the failure to capitalise on finishing runners up in both league and cup prior to WW1...'failure to capitalise' is the theme that runs through it...

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hmmm.  I'd say it is one of the riskiest transfer windows ever. All our new foreign additions seem potentially exciting, but we've seen in the past that not all promising foreign players settle and deliver the goods.

At the same time we've sold Pack for a pittance to a direct rival and even more baffiing loaned Patto- a guy who genuinely can transform games as a super sub - to another.

As for Adfobe, we have to hope he isn't the same ineffectual figure we saw last season and the move away from the Britannia Stadium reinvigorates his career. Maybe it will, but this is also uncertain. 

I'll hold fire on how successful this transfer window was until I see how the new team mesh.

We have either done a Wolves from a couple of seasons ago...or a Fulham from last season.

LJ has a whole new set of lotto balls. As you say, how they mesh will be the decider.

Bold! Definitely the best window we've had. Two of the Chelsea boys were absolute steals and should pay dividends. Huge transfer fees received. The Euro players all very interesting. Brave outgoings. Wow!

Other than the striker problem (it would be a delightful surprise if Afobe can regain his form), we have a very exciting and well-rounded squad.

This must be the most fascinating juncture in recent times. What happens next?!

10 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Exactly this, many class this window as great, best ever, how can they? those same fans who have never even seen most of our signings play let alone play in a team together.

A season of "gelling" awaits us followed by a selling of our best...again. Who really believes this season will better last season?

11 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Having got over the shock of us not signing Messi for £150 and a years supply of Natch , have we ever had a window like this in any of our life times ? We rake in £35m selling TWO players ( could the Gas ever even dream of this ?  ) we sign half a dozen players including Internationals and France’s hottest young talent and eventually we get competition for Fammy without taking a wild pint on an inexperienced loanee . Who knows , maybe all Fammy needs is competition? Let’s face it he’s NEVER had any ! In the cold light of day NOT A BAD WINDOW so let’s give whoever wears that shirt 100% support ! 

Absolutely no idea.

I feel like Johnson has had 2 and half years to build something and for whatever reason couldn’t quite do it.

But, at least I could see in 2017-18 a plan or shape of how we were going to do it.

Now, I haven’t got a clue. That’s fine as although I know football well enough, I have no idea how the professional game works. This could all work out swimmingly, who knows?

But I do feel like if this rebuild doesn’t go anywhere then unless you want 10th place purgatory, Johnson is not the manager to take us on.

Look at what Bielsa has achieved with a team that has been out of the prem since 2004, spent 3 years in div 3, were run by a crook and had no money. Look at what sheff Utd achieved, Norwich even.

It can be done.

31 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly this, many class this window as great, best ever, how can they? those same fans who have never even seen most of our signings play let alone play in a team together.

A season of "gelling" awaits us followed by a selling of our best...again. Who really believes this season will better last season?

In a way, it can still be a great window if we don't make the jump this season, so long as it pays off in the long run.

Buying 3 talented Chelsea players wasnt a bad start, was it? Getting nearly £50m income from outgoings pretty impressive. 

Then time will tell re the rest of the signings...

8 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely no idea.

I feel like Johnson has had 2 and half years to build something and for whatever reason couldn’t quite do it.

But, at least I could see in 2017-18 a plan or shape of how we were going to do it.

Now, I haven’t got a clue. That’s fine as although I know football well enough, I have no idea how the professional game works. This could all work out swimmingly, who knows?

But I do feel like if this rebuild doesn’t go anywhere then unless you want 10th place purgatory, Johnson is not the manager to take us on.

Look at what Bielsa has achieved with a team that has been out of the prem since 2004, spent 3 years in div 3, were run by a crook and had no money. Look at what sheff Utd achieved, Norwich even.

It can be done.

Ultimately, it might not be Johnson that ends up taking this squad forward. The pressure is massively on him now to deliver play offs and I think Lansdown will be a bit more ruthless now that the overall 'project' is in a very healthy place.

Given all that’s gone on it really feels like it will go one way or the other; promotion or relegation.

I can’t see how this will be a mid table season with what’s gone on. As usual, ten games in will be telling with Christmas being the likely end position. 

Come the end of the season we’ll either be building a statue of Johnson or burning an effigy!

7 minutes ago, Judda said:

At the end of the day none of us know how good most these signings are. We're making judgements based on reputation, media and show reals.... 

Very true Judda. I’m pretty positive though. We have back-ups in most positions and moving Marlon and Patto may prove to be pretty shrewd.  

1 minute ago, Brooko said:

Very true Judda. I’m pretty positive though. We have back-ups in most positions and moving Marlon and Patto may prove to be pretty shrewd.  

Same here. My cider is half full..... even at this time of day!

Well done OP with the report card approach, I also think it is a very good window in the cold light of day, and it also struck me with 10+ signings it is quite like an NFL draft (having opportunity to trade and then re-tool the team comprehensively in one off season) so deserves that typically American type of "report card" scrutiny you've offered. And I also think B+/A-, MA has done an excellent job but we've made some gambles which load the pressure on LJ.

Pros - Some people won't admit it but addressed every need, was bold, and clear link back to strategy

• Capturing both DaSilva and Kalas permanently
  • Secured much needed cover/improvement at right back
  • Finally have new number nine with Championship pedigree
  • Nagy has potential to be pick of signings and major upgrade
  • Significantly enhanced strength in depth for long season
  • More x-factor in squad for affecting matches (Palmer, Szmodics)
  • Retained/extended several very highly rated young players
  • Pathway for young spine (Moore, Walsh, Bakinson, Semenyo)

Cons - Gambled on significant upheaval for the squad, ingredients which have exposed LJ before

• Central defence weakened relative to impressive last season
  • Lost both key elements of playing possession out from the back
  • O'Dowda situation unresolved and some others too ie Watkins
  • Large amount of churn in key positions does not promote stability
  • Palmer vs Pato, Pack vs Nagy/Massengo high risk/reward swaps
  • Reduced leadership in a squad where that was already an issue
  • Lack of pre-season preparation for significant number of signings
  • LJ struggles with abundance of choice and trusting young players

Taken together, I honestly think it was an exceptional window, go back to May when we thought getting both Kalas and DaSilva would be unlikely. We've got both the players we had wanted in May and all the types of players we wanted since. The Arsenal thing has been a ridiculous side show but we have applied our strategy and got value while turning a profit for the second summer in a row - we're potentially the best run club now in the division. 

On the other hand we have gambled far more than normal and in areas LJ has traditionally struggled to handle well, so all the risks are there that we know in his ability to quickly get to grips with such a radically overhauled and larger squad that hasn't had much pre-season (in real terms for those just arriving, in performance terms for those already here). Pressure is off MA but onto LJ and will be huge (and probably defining) test of his abilities.

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What I don’t quite understand is that I thought the idea was gradual progress season on season, introducing home grown youngsters along the way.  How does signing twelve new players fit with that?  Presumably an awful lot of young players will have to go out on loan to make space for them, but I’m a little disappointed that we appear to have moved into a  zone where players like Morrell, who I really rate, are not given the chance to show what they can do.  Oh well, welcome to the new world I suppose.  This does feel like a quantum shift for the club though.

....or the actions of a desperate manager who clearly knew that the side he had spent millions on and constructed over the last three years was not good enough to progress further and in fact looked like it was regressing more recently.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Well done OP with the report card approach, I also think it is a very good window in the cold light of day, and it also struck me with 10+ signings it is quite like an NFL draft (having opportunity to trade and then re-tool the team comprehensively in one off season) so deserves that typically American type of "report card" scrutiny you've offered. And I also think B+/A-, MA has done an excellent job but we've made some gambles which load the pressure on LJ.

Pros - Some people won't admit it but addressed every need, was bold, and clear link back to strategy

• Capturing both DaSilva and Kalas permanently
  • Secured much needed cover/improvement at right back
  • Finally have new number nine with Championship pedigree
  • Nagy has potential to be pick of signings and major upgrade
  • Significantly enhanced strength in depth for long season
  • More x-factor in squad for affecting matches (Palmer, Szmodics)
  • Retained/extended several very highly rated young players
  • Pathway for young spine (Moore, Walsh, Bakinson, Semenyo)

Cons - Gambled on significant upheaval for the squad, ingredients which have exposed LJ before

• Central defence weakened relative to impressive last season
  • Lost both key elements of playing possession out from the back
  • O'Dowda situation unresolved and some others too ie Watkins
  • Large amount of churn in key positions does not promote stability
  • Palmer vs Pato, Pack vs Nagy/Massengo high risk/reward swaps
  • Reduced leadership in a squad where that was already an issue
  • Lack of pre-season preparation for significant number of signings
  • LJ struggles with abundance of choice and trusting young players

Taken together, I honestly think it was an exceptional window, go back to May when we thought getting both Kalas and DaSilva would be unlikely. We've got both the players we had wanted in May and all the types of players we wanted since. The Arsenal thing has been a ridiculous side show but we have applied our strategy and got value while turning a profit for the second summer in a row - we're potentially the best run club now in the division. 

On the other hand we have gambled far more than normal and in areas LJ has traditionally struggled to handle well, so all the risks are there that we know in his ability to quickly get to grips with such a radically overhauled and larger squad that hasn't had much pre-season (in real terms for those just arriving, in performance terms for those already here). Pressure is off MA but onto LJ and will be huge (and probably defining) test of his abilities.

Stop flogging clothes and whatever it is you do and pursue a career in sports journalism. 

My observation is that Mr Johnsons actions consistently fly in the face of normal coaching good practice in relation to building teams and his own comments.

Here they are again. No idea how the team will play. Seasons in and this is not how great coaches operate. 

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

....or the actions of a desperate manager who clearly knew that the side he had spent millions on and constructed over the last three years was not good enough to progress further and in fact looked like it was regressing more recently.

I would agree, but swap "desperate" for "disappointed".

I think he's realised that what he is trying to achieve, with the players he had, is not going to happen.

And so, in the oft used phrase, we go again!  

Archived