IGNORED

Reflections on the window...one of our best ever?

cityexile

I don’t mind selling Pack and loaning Paterson.  Sometimes you just have to freshen it up a bit. A gamble but better than repeating the same pattern year on year.  Paterson’s form has been poor for over a season. Pack has run out of steam, probably LJ responsibility for over playing him.   Let’s back ourselves that we’ve found good replacements.  The thing that impressed me with this weeks foreign trio is how good their English is already.  That’s got to help.  Did we ever hear Kodjia speak when he was here and Famara isn’t at the front of the interview queue

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

....or the actions of a desperate manager who clearly knew that the side he had spent millions on and constructed over the last three years was not good enough to progress further and in fact looked like it was regressing more recently.

Desperate? Seriously?

16 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Can't sit on the fence kidder. Let's have your thoughts now

Thought it was overall pretty decent. Would have liked to kept Webster, and not overly thrilled about helping strengthen two rivals for playoffs by sending Patterson and Pack their way, but the players we've brought in seem to be a solid upgrade on paper at least. So I'd go for a B if I was going to grade it right now. 

5 hours ago, Olé said:

• LJ struggles with abundance of choice and trusting young players

This is one of the most significant points.  LJ has often enjoyed a tinker, particularly if things aren't going well, and he now has more toys than a kid at Christmas.  I hope he has a clear idea of what he is trying to achieve, the team identity, otherwise what looks like a good window will turn into a flop. I am quite excited to see how it unfolds.

19 hours ago, pigeon said:

You're relentless mate ?

Thought we'd been over this, he's primarily a CDM based on his previous experience. However, does seem he have the ability to play in pretty much any central role so you might be right, LJ could move him forward.

Hey man, just thought I'd let you know that no-one really agreed with your positioning of the midfield but 7 seem to agree with me

Just wondering, do you still think you're right?

Still shocked by the fact we've spent far more money than Liverpool!

This has been an exceptional and surprising transfer window.  It really has took my breath away and threw a couple of curve balls.

All in all though, great business by the club and sterling work by Mr Ashton (Gate).

32 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Hey man, just thought I'd let you know that no-one really agreed with your positioning of the midfield but 7 seem to agree with me

Just wondering, do you still think you're right?

Haha chill out mate, we discussed this in another thread and several people agreed that he plays CDM more often than not but that he could essentially play anywhere in the middle. 

Neither of us have any clue where he is going to play unless you're LJ in disguise so simmer down :laugh:

8 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly this, many class this window as great, best ever, how can they? those same fans who have never even seen most of our signings play let alone play in a team together.

A season of "gelling" awaits us followed by a selling of our best...again. Who really believes this season will better last season?

We're now in a financial position however whereby even if transition kicks in and we finish say 10th or 11th we don't NEED to sell anyone in summer 2020 that we don't want to.

Get the feeling the bulk of this squad is for a 2-3 year period, or at least that would be the aim.

20 hours ago, pigeon said:

1388074025_lineup(3).png.82f308d7d05ff347cd5ac78e245d8e9f.png

Just posted this in another thread... Brilliant window and no doubt that we have a stronger squad this season than last so LJ did exactly what he said.

Great job to all involved. 

I'd like to see 2 up top given a go with Fammy and Afobe. The whole argument with Fammy is that he's lost up front on his own, really think him and Afobe could link up really well.

On Sunday, the only decent football he played I though was when he strayed out of position and played closer to Palmer/COD/Weimann.

2 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

I'd like to see 2 up top given a go with Fammy and Afobe. The whole argument with Fammy is that he's lost up front on his own, really think him and Afobe could link up really well.

On Sunday, the only decent football he played I though was when he strayed out of position and played closer to Palmer/COD/Weimann.

I agree, I just threw that lineup together to show the new players coming in but i'd love to see Afobe and Fam up top, just not sure how he fits in everyone else. 

I'm not so sure Massengo is going to feature that much this year after it's been reported we only actually paid £2.5m for him, rather than the £7m previously quoted. He may well be one for the future, which makes the sale of Pack even more puzzling.

18 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

We have sold the family silver and we have bought expensive brass replicas. Webster, Kelly both gone. Loyal servants like Pack & Patterson both gone.

I have a bad feeling about this, especially after last Sunday's disjointed performance. 

The main need was a new striker. The wunderkind from Monaco is still to young. Nobody who is any good chose to come here (including Bobby Reid)  and all we have is a declining journeyman from a declining Stoke City. 

How can anyone call this a success?

A bit harsh!!

27 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Haha chill out mate, we discussed this in another thread and several people agreed that he plays CDM more often than not but that he could essentially play anywhere in the middle. 

Neither of us have any clue where he is going to play unless you're LJ in disguise so simmer down :laugh:

Fully chilled. Just curious to hear your thoughts. No need to be so defensive 

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Stop flogging clothes and whatever it is you do and pursue a career in sports journalism. 

My observation is that Mr Johnsons actions consistently fly in the face of normal coaching good practice in relation to building teams and his own comments.

Here they are again. No idea how the team will play. Seasons in and this is not how great coaches operate. 

Isn't it difficult to build teams when the key players you want to build your method around are sold?

He developed Reid and built a pressing game around him. He was sold. He developed Webster and wanted to build around his ability to bring the ball out from the back. He was sold.

The club had no option but to sell but it doesn't help the head coach if he keeps having to reset.

Feeling a bit better about it all now. 

Apologies if already posted, but one disappointing thing is our new Chairman missed the first game as he was on holiday.  

SL Radio Bristol Sunday: 'Well, we've got Jon sat in the chairman's seat now. He should be here talking to you but he's on holiday'

Hate to be critical but that's very poor.

And, back on topic, sounds as if he wasn't involved much in transfers either.

Neil Warnock Bristol Live: 'Bristol City were impeccable with how they dealt with Reid and Marlon Pack. Lee Johnson and Steve Lansdown were spot on'

SL writes the cheques no doubt, but I wonder how much JL is involved in transfers. 

13 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Apologies if already posted, but one disappointing thing is our new Chairman missed the first game as he was on holiday.  

SL Radio Bristol Sunday: 'Well, we've got Jon sat in the chairman's seat now. He should be here talking to you but he's on holiday'

Neil Warnock Bristol Live: 'Bristol City were impeccable with how they dealt with Reid and Marlon Pack. Lee Johnson and Steve Lansdown were spot on'

SL writes the cheques no doubt, but I wonder how much JL is involved in transfers. 

Personally I'm unclear what exactly JL does, or has ever done, to merit the title 'Chairman' - other than be SL's son.

25 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Steve said the other day that he signed off transfers still but that Jon would take over in due course.

There is a lot more than transfers to the Chairman's role I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Personally I'm unclear what exactly JL does, or has ever done, to merit the title 'Chairman' - other than be SL's son.

The purpose of the board, which includes JL, is to hold the management of the club to account. Are they doing a good job and working to the agreed business plan and meeting targets? It is the likes of Ashton and Johnson who manage tasks on a day to day basis.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We're now in a financial position however whereby even if transition kicks in and we finish say 10th or 11th we don't NEED to sell anyone in summer 2020 that we don't want to.

Get the feeling the bulk of this squad is for a 2-3 year period, or at least that would be the aim.

We might not need to sell but we will to the first offer from any prem team or any promoted from this div.

You are right many including LJ have nice long contracts, that again means only that we can ask a bit more for the offers for our best players at the end of the season. I would really love it if we could actually build a truly top 3 challenging team and keep them for a season or 2, you know that wont happen though.

This div is littered with ex players of ours mainly in far better teams, we need to stop building other clubs teams and build our own.

The addition of many newbies does not help, it just means we step back again to build again........and repeat

52 minutes ago, Maldini said:

He’s entitled to a holiday

17 minutes ago, WOTRED said:

The purpose of the board, which includes JL, is to hold the management of the club to account. Are they doing a good job and working to the agreed business plan and meeting targets? It is the likes of Ashton and Johnson who manage tasks on a day to day basis.

Quite. People often confuse the roles of the Chairman and Chief Executive (or Chief Operating Officer in Ashton's case I think). They are, or should be, entirely separate for the reasons you give.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Isn't it difficult to build teams when the key players you want to build your method around are sold?

He developed Reid and built a pressing game around him. He was sold. He developed Webster and wanted to build around his ability to bring the ball out from the back. He was sold.

The club had no option but to sell but it doesn't help the head coach if he keeps having to reset.

You are highlighting what is inconsistent. A teams identity should not have to change when ONE player leaves. 

Players leave. Teams are built around key principles and players are recruited/developed to fit them. There should always be another player in the squad to support the playing principles. The teams approach does not have to be in a transitory state season to season. 

Lee Johnson did not build a pressing team around Bobby Reid. The high press was abandoned when Famara returned to the team. Here I will answer your isn't it difficult to build teams when the key players you want to build your method around are sold? It becomes ever harder when players do not fit the teams football e.g. Famara and pressing contrast that to Liverpool's ultra aggressive pressing players right throughout the squad have to possess high fitness levels and defensive tactical intensity to fit that highly demanding workload, its a key skill the players HAVE to possess meaning the teams football does not alter when players are injured, leave or are suspended. 

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We might not need to sell but we will to the first offer from any prem team or any promoted from this div.

bit like the 12 million offer from Ville for Webster that we took - or not as the case may be and held out for £20 plus which is great business and funded other signings

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

You are highlighting what is inconsistent. A teams identity should not have to change when ONE player leaves. 

Players leave. Teams are built around key principles and players are recruited/developed to fit them. There should always be another player in the squad to support the playing principles. The teams approach does not have to be in a transitory state season to season. 

Lee Johnson did not build a pressing team around Bobby Reid. The high press was abandoned when Famara returned to the team. Here I will answer your isn't it difficult to build teams when the key players you want to build your method around are sold? It becomes ever harder when players do not fit the teams football e.g. Famara and pressing contrast that to Liverpool's ultra aggressive pressing players right throughout the squad have to possess high fitness levels and defensive tactical intensity to fit that highly demanding workload, its a key skill the players HAVE to possess meaning the teams football does not alter when players are injured, leave or are suspended. 

Thanks, an informative reply, none of which I would disagree with in principle. In particular, I have long been against playing a big man up front as it does not suit the rest of the players we have.

Liverpool are a great example, though it is hard for a club of our status to find 3 Reids for instance whereas they can have Salah, Firmino and Mane, and, importantly, keep them. What would happen if, say, they sold two of them, bearing in mind the impact the loss of Suarez had, or before that era, the loss of Xabi Alonso?

While I agree your wider point, even the best sides can have a player who is key to their style. Replace Allison with Karius and you have a problem maintaining your approach for example.

Just as well I'm not head coach perhaps.

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, an informative reply, none of which I would disagree with in principle. In particular, I have long been against playing a big man up front as it does not suit the rest of the players we have.

Liverpool are a great example, though it is hard for a club of our status to find 3 Reids for instance whereas they can have Salah, Firmino and Mane, and, importantly, keep them. What would happen if, say, they sold two of them, bearing in mind the impact the loss of Suarez had, or before that era, the loss of Xabi Alonso?

While I agree your wider point, even the best sides can have a player who is key to their style. Replace Allison with Karius and you have a problem maintaining your approach for example.

Just as well I'm not head coach perhaps.

Two did not play v Barcelona and the team still pressed and harried them all over the pitch because the squad is full of players who meet the physical demands of what Klopp calls full throttle football. 

When Lj made his "going to be bold " statement, I suspect that many saw this as an indication that we were going to spend big on a well known, proven and unexpected striker and a similar type central defender to replace the departing Webster.

Signing Massengo was bold, but admittedly with the benefit of hindsight I now wonder whether the bold statement referred more to departures from the squad. Perhaps LJ realised that it was only the departure of players like Pack and Pato,  that were previously regarded as fixtures in the team,  that would enable the introduction of new blood into midfield and change us from the all to predictable team of the last season or so.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

bit like the 12 million offer from Ville for Webster that we took - or not as the case may be and held out for £20 plus which is great business and funded other signings

I think £20 is a bargain why so cheap :P and no-one on here knows anyway, its just speculation.

Archived