IGNORED

Reflections on the window...one of our best ever?

cityexile

28 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When Lj made his "going to be bold " statement, I suspect that many saw this as an indication that we were going to spend big on a well known, proven and unexpected striker and a similar type central defender to replace the departing Webster.

Signing Massengo was bold, but admittedly with the benefit of hindsight I now wonder whether the bold statement referred more to departures from the squad. Perhaps LJ realised that it was only the departure of players like Pack and Pato,  that were previously regarded as fixtures in the team,  that would enable the introduction of new blood into midfield and change us from the all to predictable team of the last season or so.

LJ probably foresaw other exits as well. Definitely O'Dowda and possibly Brownhill or Diedhiou. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Two did not play v Barcelona and the team still pressed and harried them all over the pitch because the squad is full of players who meet the physical demands of what Klopp calls full throttle football. 

True, though I'm not sure a sample of one is enough to draw a conclusion as to what might happen over a full season.

All hypothetical of course. Either way putting it all into practice is more difficult since you can't control all the variables all the time. Unless you are rich enough to go out and buy the variables!

5 hours ago, James54De said:

Kelly - 13

Webster - 20

Eisa - 1.5

Pack - 4

Kalas - 8

Dasilva - 2.5

Palmer - 3.5

Massengo - 3.5

Szomdics - .75

Bentley - 4

Nagy - 2

Gilmartin - Free

Rowe - Free

Cundy - Free

Pierara - Loan

Afobe - Loan

= Profit of 14.25 million

Cundy wasn’t free we had to pay a fee,

both loans aren’t free and I suspect in afobes case we are paying a loan fee north for 3 million

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Cundy wasn’t free we had to pay a fee,

both loans aren’t free and I suspect in afobes case we are paying a loan fee north for 3 million

No idea of loan fee, but you’re right you don’t let a £12m asset from a year ago, go out on loan for zilch.  I use a simple formula of fee divided by contract length.  So 12 / 3 = £4m....but take off a bit because he’s not done well.  So £2-3m sounds about right.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

True, though I'm not sure a sample of one is enough to draw a conclusion as to what might happen over a full season.

All hypothetical of course. Either way putting it all into practice is more difficult since you can't control all the variables all the time. Unless you are rich enough to go out and buy the variables!

The methodology is to more easily control the variables. By focussing on governing principles of elements of play the game is simplified. Liverpool effectively play with one model of football that alters little over a season because of all of its parts are developed and recruited for that one model. 

Stating that they are rich enough misses the underlining .. Its one style and has been over three seasons. That is a conviction based on faith in what they do.

Bristol City have styles. By having styles changing each season and sometimes during the season Lee Johnson is creating more variables that he has to recruit to. Mr Johnsons football does not have governing principles because it changes, and as you note one or two players leaving causes it to alter.  

11 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The methodology is to more easily control the variables. By focussing on governing principles of elements of play the game is simplified. Liverpool effectively play with one model of football that alters little over a season because of all of its parts are developed and recruited for that one model. 

Stating that they are rich enough misses the underlining .. Its one style and has been over three seasons. That is a conviction based on faith in what they do.

Bristol City have styles. By having styles changing each season and sometimes during the season Lee Johnson is creating more variables that he has to recruit to. Mr Johnsons football does not have governing principles because it changes, and as you note one or two players leaving causes it to alter.  

We are in danger of violently agreeing and 1-to -1s are probably still bad netiquette so I will stop with this.

As far as Klopp goes, I agree, though he explicitly eased off the intensity last season because it was hard to sustain.

Where we differ I think is that I take the view that systems require key individuals to lead them. I already mentioned Allison and it will be interesting to see if Adrian can fill his role. Van Dijk is another obvious one. Losing key individuals can disrupt the system so the coach may have to adapt it.

I 100% agree with your final paragraph, which is my one consistent criticism of LJ. He seems to be trying too hard to be clever: flexibility is fine but you need to have a system that suits your players and in which they are drilled first.

Thanks for an enjoyable discussion.

Archived