IGNORED

Where’s the Team leadership now Marlon has gone?

Denbury Red

Ive always liked Pack and could see every time he didnt play how integral he was to our style. 

However, this is for the best. Hopefully we now have pedigree of internationals and up and coming talent to transform our midfield. Its the midfield that has cost us the last two seasons with lack of cover and reliance on Pack and Brownhill. This could be a new lease of life for Brownhill too with the Pack-shacklesthat held him back, by adding quality alongside him. 

Heres hoping for quicker passing through midfield rather than the ponderous Pack game. 

Definitely somewhat of a gamble but the only big gamble i feel we’ve made is to not replace Webster. 

But hey, we are some £12m up on transfer fees over the summer so SL will be happier with the bank balance. 

"We're now looking at players who can push us on up the league, and potentially play in the Premier League".

Not sure if that's the exact quote, but near as damn it what Johnson said a little while ago. Pack, although steady, does not have it in him to play at that next level. Football is a funny game, because what one person sees, the next doesn't. One will rate player a, one won't. Pack has divided opinion for ages. 

Although he was never the worse player on the pitch, we're looking at going in a different direction, and he obviously wasn't a part of that.

A bold transfer window. Selling Pack and potentially Paterson, along with Webster and Kelly, whilst bringing in potentially/hopefully higher calibre players albeit from abroad. I'd say that was bold.

What Bristol City will miss in today’s Marlon Pack..   

His presence around the club.. involvement in the City community....he was a focal figure amongst his team mates as a friend 

however I don’t believe he is a natural leader on the pitch and his football has gone a bit stale! 

This is a time to move on from sentiment and relish what’s new 

COYR

Really need our new signings to hit the ground the running, I think we will need to have a lot of patience up to the first international break. A lot of the new lads will have had no pre season with us and given their seasons weren't going to be starting for a few weeks could be off the pace in terms of fitness.

We are going to need to stick with it and hope thhe like of Nagy, Massengo, Pereira and Afobe adapt quickly.

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

With Marlon leaving for a pittance - and numerous new faces in midfield - where is our team Leadership going to come from until Korey returns (hopefully) in January. 

Seems a strange decision to let Marlon go now before the new players have bedded in!

Sorry can you point me in the direction where its stated how much we got for him? thanks

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

LJ has said there’s no real leaders in the team apparently. So sells his vice captain 

So, when he said there were no leaders, that included Pack. So we don't lose a leader by selling him.

I don't argue that we need a leader, but Pack wasn't that. Maybe one of the new guys will be. Afobe? 

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

With Marlon leaving for a pittance - and numerous new faces in midfield - where is our team Leadership going to come from until Korey returns (hopefully) in January. 

Seems a strange decision to let Marlon go now before the new players have bedded in!

Don't tell me you believe the 750k bullshit ? Apparently, the Cardiff offer was too good to refuse.

But I agree that his experience will be missed.

3 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Cardiff are building their team around our League 1 squad ?

Thing is, we've got the best out of those players - Flint and Pack aren't going to improve.

Although Colin may get Flinty scoring again.

14 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Really need our new signings to hit the ground the running, I think we will need to have a lot of patience up to the first international break. A lot of the new lads will have had no pre season with us and given their seasons weren't going to be starting for a few weeks could be off the pace in terms of fitness.

We are going to need to stick with it and hope thhe like of Nagy, Massengo, Pereira and Afobe adapt quickly.

Given the way we performed on Sunday, I would think they will be right on the pace! 

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Watching Sunday's game, Moore was showing more leadership than Kalas. Was made captain for a part of one of the friendlies.  Says something about what LJ thinks about him..

Moore properly took responsibility on Sunday. He could have played within his shell and tried to avoid mistakes but instead he went on marauding runs out of defence and tried to boss the game. He made mistakes but there was a lot of raw material and he looked a very different player than the one who left for Southend.

Pack is a loss for sure but, if I was being a bit brutal, I’d say he was someone who usually played almost exactly as well or as badly as the team as a whole played. That is a skill in itself and showed he was central to us in many ways but I struggle to think of times he shone in bad performances or took games by the scruff of the neck. I think we will miss him in many regards but I am skeptical to the extent as to which leadership is one of them. 

48 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Pack wasn’t a leader on the pitch in my opinion, he didn’t lead by example and that is why the club have shipped him out 

Nagy or Kalas are capable as they are internationals for their countries. They know what is required from their team mates to play at the highest level and both have that steely look and determination to succeed 

Marlon was coasting a bit and needed a change in my opinion and to get £750k for him was a bonus 

Time for the new faces to take the others left to a new level - can’t wait to see how we play and the formation 

Could be a new dawn or the start of a nightmare!!

There is more than one type of leader. One type may lead by example but good ones are rare. GJ didn't believe he had a natural leader including Louis Carey. Kalas may seem a natural leader to many on here but he may not have the attributes or the desire for such a role, Flint never seemed to want it. Others may lead through respect. That respect may come from their abilities, their experience, their intelligence or a combination of those. 

The most natural leader to me at the club is Bailey Wright but there are doubts about his game time. Tommy Rowe is in the same boat. Korey Smith is another, but he's out until January at least. He's young but I might give it to Josh. If he does well this season and sticks around don't be surprised if Taylor Moore is a future City captain. He did wear the armband once in pre-season. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He just had to tap his head ...

26AA3B9A-4740-4587-97BD-3A728022E38D.jpeg

The chap on the left must be due his telegram from the Queen any time soon surely?

16 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There is more than one type of leader. One type may lead by example but good ones are rare. GJ didn't believe he had a natural leader including Louis Carey. Kalas may seem a natural leader to many on here but he may not have the attributes or the desire for such a role, Flint never seemed to want it. Others may lead through respect. That respect may come from their abilities, their experience, their intelligence or a combination of those. 

The most natural leader to me at the club is Bailey Wright but there are doubts about his game time. Tommy Rowe is in the same boat. Korey Smith is another, but he's out until January at least. He's young but I might give it to Josh. If he does well this season and sticks around don't be surprised if Taylor Moore is a future City captain. He did wear the armband once in pre-season. 

Good shout, didn’t consider JB and May just be the making of him although lacks experience 

I would still go Kalas as I think he has a certain authority about him and respect 

Archived