IGNORED

No Webster Replacement

I'd have preferred to sign a replacement but not at any cost or in a rush.  Taylor Moore might be the right guy, but we have decent back up too and we can take our time.

I know some people seem to think we should be aiming at auto this season but if we just keep improving incrementally I'll be happy, I don't want to see some sort of death or glory gamble.

My guess - and I am not in the know here - is three things happened:

1) Taylor Moore did enough in pre season and against Leeds for LJ to be willing to give him a chance

2) There was a lack of replacement options that were obvious improvements at prices that the club felt reflected their true value 

3) A decision was made that brining in a player like Nagy who could intercept and break up in midfield could offset the loss.

Ultimately I think a number of decisions this week follow on from a decision that we cannot replace Webster directory and will instead modify and adapt our system to compensate.

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My guess - and I am not in the know here - is three things happened:

1) Taylor Moore did enough in pre season and against Leeds for LJ to be willing to give him a chance

2) There was a lack of replacement options that were obvious improvements at prices that the club felt reflected their true value 

3) A decision was made that brining in a player like Nagy who could intercept and break up in midfield could offset the loss.

Ultimately I think a number of decisions this week follow on from a decision that we cannot replace Webster directory and will instead modify and adapt our system to compensate.

I believe, ironically, losing Webster will make us stronger and less obvious in our game plan.

Towards the end of last season teams were closing the lad down quickly and he was much less effective in his distribution and we suffered because of it. 

41 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Are we happy with what we got or did we fail to sign someone knowing Webster would be a big loss but couldn’t get them for the right price?

Of course it is a loss. Webster improved Bristol City. He was one of the best footballing centre backs in the division, technically excellent. Bristol City's replacements are not. This can only affect the tactical flexibility and potential of the team.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Of course it is a loss. Webster improved Bristol City. He was one of the best footballing centre backs in the division, technically excellent. Bristol City's replacements are not. This can only affect the tactical flexibility and potential of the team.

Could Kalas step up a bit technically in the short term?

He can't replicate the great runs of course or the length of passing but more shorter passing, bit more on the ball- especially if we move towards the 4-3-3 and shorter passing in more bands which I'm hopeful of.

Webster is certainly a loss though, no doubt!

Webster was a pretty exceptional signing and would've been hard to replace particularly given the short time.  The question then is do we need another solid centre back in.  Well we've already got 4 in so I'd say hopefully no although I think we're gambling a bit on Wright and Baker getting/staying fit.

Not worried.

I, like everyone else, was gutted to lose Webster, but we have four quality Championship centre backs for two slots. (Or at least three and a great potential in Moore). Added to that a new defensive midfielder, a utility man that can play in defence or in front of the back four, and Massengo who can play defensive midfield as well, I think a 'Webster replacement' was the least of our worries.

What we absolutely had to sign was a striker, if only to encourage Johnson to be more positive in his approach (imo). Yet to be seen whether that will happen, but after the cluster**** of the last day or two, I have to say that I am pleasantly optimistic about Afobe.

The only downside that I have just discovered is that predictive text will see Adobe mentioned a lot this season.

Erm... did anyone note at that open training session where Taylor Moore was placed in the sprint races? Genuine question.

You can coach out defensive naivety - losing your man for the second and a reckless charge up field and losing the ball for the third. Lack of pace though is not something you can do much about.  

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

Hoping the midfield offer the defence a bit better protection now we have signed Nagy and he won’t be missed too much. 

Exactly.

Nagy can compensate for the loss of Webster bringing the ball out of defence - no gaps behind as there were several times against Leeds and they scored from one of them after Moore lost the ball.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could Kalas step up a bit technically in the short term?

He can't replicate the great runs of course or the length of passing but more shorter passing, bit more on the ball- especially if we move towards the 4-3-3 and shorter passing in more bands which I'm hopeful of.

Webster is certainly a loss though, no doubt!

Most players can make more short passes it they take over a specific role but you are really answering your own question. Generally in a 4-3-3 one but preferably both of the deep laying centre backs has to be proficient at switching the ball, they cant hit their wide receivers without variety of passes twenty five metres plus.

Archived