IGNORED

Lineup/formation

CiderHeadDan

Personally I think we are set up really well for a 433 but also the flexability to switch it up as needed.

------------------------------------Bentley/Niki--------------------------------------

Pereira/Hunt---Kalas/Wright---Moore/Baker---Dasilva/Rowe

-----------------------------------Nagy/Smith----------------------------------------

-------------Massengo/Bakinson------Brownhill/Walsh----------------

----Weimann/O'Dowda-------------------------Palmer/Eliasson--------

--------------------------------Afobe/Diedhiou-------------------------------------

The two in attack with Afobe/Diedhiou can then be changed depending how wide or narrow we want to play. Have to say I like the look of that and the ability to switch easily to a 4-2-3-1 if desired as well. Very happy with this window and look forward to seeing this squad develop. Think it will take a bit of time at the start to gel but when it does... I'm predicting us to be the Villa of this season. Strong 2nd half to go up in the play offs. COYR!

I'm not sure we'll see revolution so much as evolution on Saturday. I think Nagy will come straight in with Pack having left and I would think Eliasson earned a start from his half hour last weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other additions since then are all the bench. Maybe Perriera will come straight in, but I doubt it. I think the longer-term plan is probably to go back to the 4-1-4-1, with Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer as the 3 central midfield players, Massengo rotating in. Afobe up to with wingers rotating in and out

10 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think a few of them will have to learn on the job to be honest else why sell Pack and loan Pato?

As a club are we in a position to spend £8m on a midfielder and not be playing him straight away? I know he is only 18 years old but if he isn't ready for us now the reality is we shouldn't have signed him, again if Pack was here then I would think he may start life on the bench but that safety net has been taken away unless Rowe is gonna start

Surely you mean that he isn’t ready for Chelsea yet........!

I don't see any of the new foreign players starting this weekend.  They will need more time to settle and train with the rest of the squad first.

Makes sense to try to get them up to speed for the cup game against QPR and take it from there

I'd expect the team against Birmingham to be familiar, with Rowe taking Pack's place, and Szmodics or Palmer playing behind Afobe, although perhaps even Afobe will be on the bench.

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't see any of the new foreign players starting this weekend.  They will need more time to settle and train with the rest of the squad first.

Makes sense to try to get them up to speed for the cup game against QPR and take it from there

I'd expect the team against Birmingham to be familiar, with Rowe taking Pack's place, and Szmodics or Palmer playing behind Afobe, although perhaps even Afobe will be on the bench.

Why refer to them as our ‘foreign players’?This sounds so archaic and just puts some weird Brexit type separation between them and the other lads. Why not refer to them as Nagy, Massengo and Pereira, really isn’t that difficult. 

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Why refer to them as our ‘foreign players’?This sounds so archaic and just puts some weird Brexit type separation between them and the other lads. Why not refer to them as Nagy, Massengo and Pereira, really isn’t that difficult. 

Nothing wrong with the word foreign, stop being so weird!

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Probably just because it’s easier to write that instead of every name each time - no malice intended from RDK.

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I think Nagy is the most likely starter of the 3. Depends how defensive we’re going - possibly Rowe for O’Dowda in that case.

Can’t see it though - I think the lineup will be brave. I predict Eliasson will start in place of O’Dowda.

12 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

someones not had their Weetabix...….

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

______________Bentley______________

Pereira____kalas_____Baker____Dasilva

_______________Nagy_______________

Brownhill__________________Massengo

________Szmodics____Palmer_________

_______________Afobi________________

A lack of width with this as you asking the full backs to do a heck of a lot ??

1 hour ago, rednotblue said:

A lack of width with this as you asking the full backs to do a heck of a lot ??

It's my own preference as I don't think we are at our best offensively when we play out and out wide players like Elliason.

I think we are at our most effective when go coin a phrase from LJ we are busy bees in and around the box.

Quick passing through the lines...pass move, at pace creating angles.

I think it's brain dead to do that in our build up, only to eventually ping it out wide for Elliason, or whoever, to send a 50/50 ball into the box, where we have one man often defended by 3.

By all means play wide players...but don't just ping crosses in hopefully.

It just doesn't make sense to do that, when all the build up play is about movement, creating space, angles, possession, pressing, accurate fast passing of the ball...only to rely on a 50/50 hopeful ball into the box.

As I said in another thread...you may as well play like Warnock if you are going to do that.

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

❄️

I consider Eliasson one of our most important players, and O'Dowda can be a key player too if his head is not turned, so I'd remain between 4-3-3 (with Eliasson/O'Dowda as third attacker) and 4-4-2, with a preference for the first one. 

My main doubt is about Palmer: where should we play him? I can't see him in midfield (too soft defensively) so Maybe he could play as Weimann's cover in the three upfront?

Anyway...against Brums I'd choose this line-up:

Bentley; Hunt,Moore,Kalas,Dasilva; Brownhill,Nagy,Szmodics/Rowe; Weimann, Afobe, Eliasson.

Of course we could be bold/reckless and adopt a 3-1-3-1-2 system. It would mean playing narrow, adopting a high press and pinging the ball quickly in and around the box so would need players comfortable on the ball. Very risky but we might have the players for it. 

GK - Bentley

RCB - Kalas

MCB - Wright/Baker

LCB - Moore

DCM - Nagy

RM - Brownhill

CM - Massengo/Walsh

LM - Dasilva/Rowe

FM - Palmer

ST - Afobe

ST - Weimann

Bench - Maenpaa/Gilmartin, Hunt, Wright/Baker, DaSilva/Rowe, Elliasson, Szmodics, Taylor

15 hours ago, dave36 said:

The next 4 or 5 games will define LJ, regularly made poor selections with players he knows well, so his ability is about to be tested. Presuming he gets most decisions right, the future looks good!

COYR

I don't think it will.  Losing Webster, Pack, and with it looking like Diedhiou playing second fiddle to Afobe, we've just ripped the spine out of the team and we will need to change our whole pattern of play.

It will take time to bed in the players and the system of playing.  Feels like a season of transition to me.  Ultimately, the changes (with the addition of a centre back at some stage) may take us forward, but we may need to take a step back first. 

2 hours ago, Bullbag said:

GK  Bently

RB  Pereira

CB Kalas

CB Moore

LB DaSilva

CM Nagy

CM Massengo

LM Eliasson

RM Brownhill

AM Palmer

FW Weimann (Supporting Diedhiou)

FW Diedhiou

Subs, Maaempa, Baker, Wright, Szmodics, Semenyo, Rowe, Taylor.

I reckon we'd have a good change winning with 12 players.

9 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

I don't think it will.  Losing Webster, Pack, and with it looking like Diedhiou playing second fiddle to Afobe, we've just ripped the spine out of the team and we will need to change our whole pattern of play.

It will take time to bed in the players and the system of playing.  Feels like a season of transition to me.  Ultimately, the changes (with the addition of a centre back at some stage) may take us forward, but we may need to take a step back first. 

I'm glad we ripped the spine out of that team which was in a downward spiral and shipped 9 goals in 2 games.

Wholesale changes was what we needed and wholesale changes is what we got....onwards and upwards! 

Archived