Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CiderHeadDan

Lineup/formation

What’s everyone’s thoughts on how we will line up for the majority of our season? 

Massengo will surely play a big role with the price tag and expectation on him.

Pereira and Nagy will surely have the expectation of being permanent fixtures in the team, although it may take a few weeks to involve them. 

Afobe I’m not too sure if he’ll be our main striker/ rotation / partner for Diédhiou? 

At a guess I’d imagine we’d play a 4-3-3 something along the lines of

GK - Bentley 

RB - Pereira

CB - Kalas

CB - Moore

LB - Dasilva

CDM - Nagy

CM - Brownhill / Szmodics

CM - Massengo / Palmer 

RM - Weinmann

LM - Eliasson

ST - Diédhiou / Afobe

even with this team I can’t make sense of it. Surely we intend of having a CAM in our team, as we have an abundance of attacking midfield players? Anyone’s guess is as good as mine and I’d be interested in what formation / personnel we will have on a regular basis.

At least we have options to change I guess.

Edited by CiderHeadDan

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

______________Bentley______________

Pereira____kalas_____Baker____Dasilva

_______________Nagy_______________

Brownhill__________________Massengo

________Szmodics____Palmer_________

_______________Afobi________________

Can’t see Szmodics starting but this would of been my preferred line up as well. 

Absolutely no idea.

And I suspect LJ is the same.

Thats not being sly or disrespectful, he said it himself a week before the Leeds game where the players just weren't properly prepared.I just hope that these signings were made with a distinct method of playing in mind rather than collecting good players with a good reputation and having that dictate a disjointed formation/system.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

Big decisions coming up for LJ. He’s asked for the players and, aside from a new CB, he’s got them. Now he’s got to fit most of them into the team!

3 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Can’t see Szmodics starting but this would of been my preferred line up as well. 

2 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Big decisions coming up for LJ. He’s asked for the players and, aside from a new CB, he’s got them. Now he’s got to fit most of them into the team!

Just got to get them all up to Speed.

And that's what LJ has gone for imo...speed of mind, feet, ball and with engine.

It's been too slow in build up recently.

Think LJ wants to get far more energy in the team.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

I would play Palmer in Szmodics place and have Eliasson where Palmer is there. You can rotate Palmer and Szmodics

• Like 1

The next 4 or 5 games will define LJ, regularly made poor selections with players he knows well, so his ability is about to be tested. Presuming he gets most decisions right, the future looks good!

COYR

10 minutes ago, dave36 said:

The next 4 or 5 games will define LJ, regularly made poor selections with players he knows well, so his ability is about to be tested. Presuming he gets most decisions right, the future looks good!

COYR

Indeed, and if we start with Weimann right flank of midfield again, you know LJ has learnt nowt!

We seem to have the midfield players to play pass and move football now, not the dross hoofball we saw against Leeds.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

I would play Palmer in Szmodics place and have Eliasson where Palmer is there. You can rotate Palmer and Szmodics

Nice to have so many choices.

• Like 1

Could also be a 4-4-2 diamond with RB/LB creating the width going forward that can convert to a regular 4-4-2 with wingers (ie Elliason/O’Dowda on for any two of the  central diamond) coming on to change things as needed.

————————Bentley————————

Pereira——Kalas—Baker——Dasilva

————————Nagy—————————

———Brownhill———Massengo———

————————Palmer————————

———Weimann————Afobi—————

When everyone is fit, each position has at least two players available with this system and the team goes to two up front.

The key is - there are many options.

Edited by DC Red
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

That cheered me up.

A lot. 

Three points Saturday lads. COYRs

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I think the team for  Birmingham will look like this

image.png.a207fbfdbcec8bc8e0681b2fc3b56860.png

I don’t think we’ll see that many changes for Saturday. I’d expect:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Moore JD

Actually, after that, no idea what team he’s gonna play when you consider the options! 

Would expect Palmer and Famara to be in there. Do you through Massengo straight into the team irrespective of price tag? Nagy more realistic with his experience and Pack having gone.  Maybe:

Nagy

Weimann Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Fammy

With Johnson’s 30 training sessions quote for how long it takes for players to learn his methods, I don’t think we’ll see loads of changes?

170A101A-C295-4674-957A-F585249AC350.png

Szmodics as cover for Palmer

We could have Weimann up top as a replacement for either Diedhiou or Afobe

Could drop Palmer and place a winger - Eliasson or O’Dowda - on the left in a more conventional 442.

Plenty of options now

Edited by WestonRobin

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I want to see Nagy, Eliasson, Massengo and Weimann play. There lies 4 players that together could be special.

Going forward, yes, but not so sure on the tracking back and covering. A lot of the formations look good with the ball, less so when we haven't got it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

I don’t think we’ll see that many changes for Saturday. I’d expect:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Moore JD

Actually, after that, no idea what team he’s gonna play when you consider the options! 

Would expect Palmer and Famara to be in there. Do you through Massengo straight into the team irrespective of price tag? Nagy more realistic with his experience and Pack having gone.  Maybe:

Nagy

Weimann Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Fammy

With Johnson’s 30 training sessions quote for how long it takes for players to learn his methods, I don’t think we’ll see loads of changes?

Think a few of them will have to learn on the job to be honest else why sell Pack and loan Pato?

As a club are we in a position to spend £8m on a midfielder and not be playing him straight away? I know he is only 18 years old but if he isn't ready for us now the reality is we shouldn't have signed him, again if Pack was here then I would think he may start life on the bench but that safety net has been taken away unless Rowe is gonna start

Bentley

Perreira. Kalas. Baker  Dasilva 

After that I have absolutely no idea of the formation or personnel for Saturday 

Bentley 

Pereira         Kalas           Baker         Dasilva

Nagy

Brownhill                  Massengo  

Palmer 

Wieman              Afobe 

Menepaa, Hunt, Moore, Walsh, O’Dowda, Elliason, Diedhiou,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Going forward, yes, but not so sure on the tracking back and covering. A lot of the formations look good with the ball, less so when we haven't got it.

Don't worry. Nagy (who I have never seen or heard of) will mop it all up in holding mid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

Somehow I think eliasson needs to be in there. I think he’s crucial to our chance creation. 

As others have said, I think the back 6 picks itself going forward : Bentley, Pereira, Dasilva, Kalas, Baker & Nagy. 

After that we’ll see pretty constant change I think. 

Perhaps if Massengo gets up to speed quickly enough then he might be the 7th guaranteed name on the sheet. 

The rest is definitely going to be a continual rotation I feel. 

Although hopefully Afobe starts more than Diedhiou. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnr1986 said:

Bentley 

Nagy

Palmer 

needs 1 home grown player. 

1 hour ago, Johnr1986 said:

Bentley 

Nagy

Palmer 

wheres the width?

Edited by Greedo
Sp

My fear, given LJs track record with new signings, is that we may have a couple on the subs bench. A couple will disappear completely and the rest loaned out to Torquay or Newport.

Time to be bold on the pitch, as well as off it. 

2 hours ago, Johnr1986 said:

Bentley 

Nagy

Palmer 

Semenyo in for cod

• Like 1

Personally I think we are set up really well for a 433 but also the flexability to switch it up as needed.

------------------------------------Bentley/Niki--------------------------------------

Pereira/Hunt---Kalas/Wright---Moore/Baker---Dasilva/Rowe

-----------------------------------Nagy/Smith----------------------------------------

-------------Massengo/Bakinson------Brownhill/Walsh----------------

----Weimann/O'Dowda-------------------------Palmer/Eliasson--------

--------------------------------Afobe/Diedhiou-------------------------------------

The two in attack with Afobe/Diedhiou can then be changed depending how wide or narrow we want to play. Have to say I like the look of that and the ability to switch easily to a 4-2-3-1 if desired as well. Very happy with this window and look forward to seeing this squad develop. Think it will take a bit of time at the start to gel but when it does... I'm predicting us to be the Villa of this season. Strong 2nd half to go up in the play offs. COYR!

Edited by Witney Red

I'm not sure we'll see revolution so much as evolution on Saturday. I think Nagy will come straight in with Pack having left and I would think Eliasson earned a start from his half hour last weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other additions since then are all the bench. Maybe Perriera will come straight in, but I doubt it. I think the longer-term plan is probably to go back to the 4-1-4-1, with Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer as the 3 central midfield players, Massengo rotating in. Afobe up to with wingers rotating in and out

10 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think a few of them will have to learn on the job to be honest else why sell Pack and loan Pato?

As a club are we in a position to spend £8m on a midfielder and not be playing him straight away? I know he is only 18 years old but if he isn't ready for us now the reality is we shouldn't have signed him, again if Pack was here then I would think he may start life on the bench but that safety net has been taken away unless Rowe is gonna start

Surely you mean that he isn’t ready for Chelsea yet........!

I don't see any of the new foreign players starting this weekend.  They will need more time to settle and train with the rest of the squad first.

Makes sense to try to get them up to speed for the cup game against QPR and take it from there

I'd expect the team against Birmingham to be familiar, with Rowe taking Pack's place, and Szmodics or Palmer playing behind Afobe, although perhaps even Afobe will be on the bench.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't see any of the new foreign players starting this weekend.  They will need more time to settle and train with the rest of the squad first.

Makes sense to try to get them up to speed for the cup game against QPR and take it from there

I'd expect the team against Birmingham to be familiar, with Rowe taking Pack's place, and Szmodics or Palmer playing behind Afobe, although perhaps even Afobe will be on the bench.

Why refer to them as our ‘foreign players’?This sounds so archaic and just puts some weird Brexit type separation between them and the other lads. Why not refer to them as Nagy, Massengo and Pereira, really isn’t that difficult. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Why refer to them as our ‘foreign players’?This sounds so archaic and just puts some weird Brexit type separation between them and the other lads. Why not refer to them as Nagy, Massengo and Pereira, really isn’t that difficult. 

Nothing wrong with the word foreign, stop being so weird!

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Probably just because it’s easier to write that instead of every name each time - no malice intended from RDK.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I think Nagy is the most likely starter of the 3. Depends how defensive we’re going - possibly Rowe for O’Dowda in that case.

Can’t see it though - I think the lineup will be brave. I predict Eliasson will start in place of O’Dowda.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

someones not had their Weetabix...….

Am i missing something? Why are people still including O'Dowda in their team selections?? Not only does he not want to be here but he's terrible!! How anyone is putting him ahead of Eliasson is beyond me.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Going on Potential...

A lack of width with this as you asking the full backs to do a heck of a lot ??

GK  Bently

RB  Pereira

CB Kalas

CB Moore

LB DaSilva

CM Nagy

CM Massengo

LM Eliasson

RM Brownhill

AM Palmer

FW Weimann (Supporting Diedhiou)

FW Diedhiou

Subs, Maaempa, Baker, Wright, Szmodics, Semenyo, Rowe, Taylor.

Not for Saturday but eventually I see this as our starting XI. Could argue Weimann for COD and then switch wings with Elliason. 

C858E8A1-63D3-4D11-9E4D-9DAE5CBBBECB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Red 90 said:

Am i missing something? Why are people still including O'Dowda in their team selections?? Not only does he not want to be here but he's terrible!! How anyone is putting him ahead of Eliasson is beyond me.. 

Lee does🤮