IGNORED

Revitalised midfield ?

Jerseybean

Having read the threads re Pack and Paterson a number of posters express surprise and suggest the decision to let them go is a gamble. I hope their departures signal that LJ sees the new midfield signings as upgrades and that our hitherto stale, predictable and mechanistic midfield football will be replaced by something more fluid, creative and exciting. 

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Having read the threads re Pack and Paterson a number of posters express surprise and suggest the decision to let them go is a gamble. I hope their departures signal that LJ sees the new midfield signings as upgrades and that our hitherto stale, predictable and mechanistic midfield football will be replaced by something more fluid, creative and exciting. 

Our midfield has largely been weak since we got promoted, if we wanted to kick on they all needed replacing, with Brownhill being the only one worth keeping, as well as Smith but only for cover. We have been overrun time and time again due to players lack of mobility, our defences have been exposed by a midfield happy to let the opposition run through them time and time again, I can accept a defensively poor midfield if they offer a goal threat, but not one of them managed more than 5 goals last season, and the season before they were all outscored by Flint.

Midfield has been a problem for a long time and we have finally addressed it. 

I think LJ saying about some players being too cosy is interesting. He changed the coaching set up a few months ago for a freshen up too. Webster said how much he enjoyed the team spirit here but the downside of that is it all gets a bit cosy and nice people don’t usually end up winning anything.

Colin said he’s bought a great leader in Marlon. He may be right but Marlon always came across as a bit too nice to bully anyone. He might foul someone but he would probably apologise. Last season on several occasions and again against Leeds we got bullied. We had no edge. Oh for a Gerry Gow. 

Josh, Pato, Callum, Eliasson are all lovely chaps I’m sure but not the type you’d want backing you up in a scrap. If only they had a bit of Matty Taylor’s feistiness about them. I’m hoping some of the new guys will instil some more aggression in our play. What I am liking is immediately they look like being thrown in to the fray by replacing regulars in midfield. It’s a gamble and maybe that is the ‘bold’ that LJ has been talking about, but I’ve a feeling by upgrading we will pose a lot more problems for other teams. Too many have enjoyed their day out at the Gate in recent years and with Marlon in particular we were too predictable.

Reality is none of us know yet. I doubt any of us have seen Massengo play aside from a little in champions league along with nothing really of Nagy.

Both appear to be of a decent level but there are so many variables especially coming from abroad etc. 

Reality is team of last Sunday, pack and pato etc, I’m fairly confident would have finished somewhere between 4th-12th in the championship. Solid without ever having that extra quality like Leeds had. With the new guys we just don’t know. It could be a masterstroke, it could lead to real issues. Certainly going to be interesting though! 

On 08/08/2019 at 23:02, Jerseybean said:

Based just on Saturday’s game I think there is evidence of an improved midfield already. Nagy was busy, always looking to receive and play a simple ball and Palmer played three world class through balls. I also thought Josh Brownhill was more involved than usual. 

13 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Based just on Saturday’s game I think there is evidence of an improved midfield already. Nagy was busy, always looking to receive and play a simple ball and Palmer played three world class through balls. I also thought Josh Brownhill was more involved than usual. 

Looking forward to seeing our french wonder kid aswell.

Pure conjecture but good as his performance was I actually think he played within himself.

Once he get accustomed to the movement of Afobe and Weimann, and he becomes more trusted by Brownhill and Palmer he will play more forward passes.  And importantly this will be as he on the move.

Lots of responsibility now Pack gone, but in terms of what I could gauge by his character from his first interview and from our Hungarian friend I think he'll be a big success. 

Imagine Nagy and Korey together.  No one would get through!!! 

Very encouraging I'd say. 

Looks like a busier Pack to me, gets its gives it quickly without dwelling on the ball and inviting a challenge.

Also noticeable how he seems happy to receive the ball behind the back four and also feature on the edge of the opposition's box - I was a MP fan for the record but it's like he played within two imaginery lines which were about 10yrds in from of both boxes in a very traditional manor whereas Nagy appears to operate all over the pitch and have the intelligence and engine to not leave himself open as a result.

Shrewd signing on first inspection...we didn't need to reinvent the wheel but we did need some fresh impetuous and an injection of life into our MF and hopefully we've got it with the new signings...JB is already high energy, Nagy likewise so assuming HNM offers similar i'm feeling pretty optimistic or at least very intrigued to see how it plays out.

This is by no means a criticism of MP - I just don't know how excited I would have been about seeing him play against QPR whereas I am definitely enthusiastic about seeing Nagy along with JB operating within a midfield that now has a higher energy dynamic and hopefully HNM .

Magicdaps. 

On 08/08/2019 at 23:33, Xspence said:

Reality is none of us know yet. I doubt any of us have seen Massengo play aside from a little in champions league along with nothing really of Nagy.

Both appear to be of a decent level but there are so many variables especially coming from abroad etc. 

Reality is team of last Sunday, pack and pato etc, I’m fairly confident would have finished somewhere between 4th-12th in the championship. Solid without ever having that extra quality like Leeds had. With the new guys we just don’t know. It could be a masterstroke, it could lead to real issues. Certainly going to be interesting though! 

Honestly think it’s worth the risk as all the things said, players too comfortable, midfield not really pushed on really are important and you do need to keep things fresh. I think we would all be feeling a little more confident had we got his all done in July and the new unit had time to bed in properly etc, however we are where we are and sometimes momentum of everything happening at once can work in your favour. Exciting to see this shape up.

Just concerned that it might not click enough for play offs this year and if nagy and massengo have a good season we could have to find replacements again!!

The Nagy to Palmer to Afobe off the shoulder of the last defender....great combination.

Birmingham closed him down much quicker second half - a compliment in itself.

Be exciting to see him when he knows the team better, but performance 1 was a very good box to box showing, tackles, interceptions, confidence, tidy, technical, pacey, read the game, late runs into the box etc.

38 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

The Nagy to Palmer to Afobe off the shoulder of the last defender....great combination.

Birmingham closed him down much quicker second half - a compliment in itself.

Be exciting to see him when he knows the team better, but performance 1 was a very good box to box showing, tackles, interceptions, confidence, tidy, technical, pacey, read the game, late runs into the box etc.

This is why a ball playing centre back would give us such an advantage. Opposing teams will know to close down Nagy early, so an extra way out of defence would mean we always have an outlet.

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I always love James' work. So good.

In fact, James is the Adam Nagy of Bristol City related film editing.

Excellent footage from James which shows just how important a player like Nagy is, he does nothing too complicated, he simply breaks up play, gets in good positions to receive and quickly moves the ball on, usually with a straightforward / short pass. He is always involved and eager to get the ball, based on one game I have him down as a great signing.

I like Palmer too, although he is a totally different player. If James provided some coverage (which would be really good) we’d sometimes see KP tricking his way past two or three players, showing outrageous skill and having the vision / ability to play a killer defence splitting ball.....sometimes however we’d see him losing the ball and not opting for a simple option, as that’s the nature of a more creative / flamboyant midfielder.

Reckon their contrasting styles / attributes compliment each other and along with other recent arrivals provide us with much better options in midfield. 

Easy to look at Rowe’s goal purely from the point of the exquisite pass (finish was good too). 

But just before it look how Palmer gives the ball the Hunt, gets it back and then goes past his marker with a nice turn of pace, creating the time and space to get his head up. 

Nagy looks absolute class. We've needed that type of player to replace Pack for a while now imo. Only one game but he can do things Pack can't. Pack is better at him in the air and is stronger, but for a passing side it's obvious what one is more important.

10 hours ago, Magicdaps said:

Very encouraging I'd say. 

Looks like a busier Pack to me, gets its gives it quickly without dwelling on the ball and inviting a challenge.

Also noticeable how he seems happy to receive the ball behind the back four and also feature on the edge of the opposition's box - I was a MP fan for the record but it's like he played within two imaginery lines which were about 10yrds in from of both boxes in a very traditional manor whereas Nagy appears to operate all over the pitch and have the intelligence and engine to not leave himself open as a result.

Shrewd signing on first inspection...we didn't need to reinvent the wheel but we did need some fresh impetuous and an injection of life into our MF and hopefully we've got it with the new signings...JB is already high energy, Nagy likewise so assuming HNM offers similar i'm feeling pretty optimistic or at least very intrigued to see how it plays out.

This is by no means a criticism of MP - I just don't know how excited I would have been about seeing him play against QPR whereas I am definitely enthusiastic about seeing Nagy along with JB operating within a midfield that now has a higher energy dynamic and hopefully HNM .

Magicdaps. 

From the snippets I've seen he plays with a sense of urgency, both in moving the ball but also in the way he gets around the pitch, and this seems  to convey itself to players around him.

I liked Pack as a player for us, but over the last season we seemed a bit too pedestrian with him on the ball and his own lack of pace was becoming more noticeable.

Having Nagy along with what seems a much fitter and sharper Palmer immediately makes us look a lot more potent through midfield and we have't yet seen what Massengo has to offer. Notwithstanding us signing Afobe, I felt that changing/improving our midfield was the key to scoring more goals. Based on Saturday alone, Palmer will create a lot more clear cut chances through the middle than our midfield did last season.

Hard to judge on one performance against a pretty average Championship side. Last season the midfield was generally solid away from home, with Pack looking good, and wide players covering back. The new look was certainly promising going forward, offset by the defensive side not being as good. Definitely a change, and it will be given a much sterner test against better teams, who will have watched the new players and devised tactics to counter them. One thing to bear in mind is that neither Nagy or Palmer have ever played a full season in English football, which may well be a factor during the more intense months. 

Archived