IGNORED

Pretty much a new squad.....

Robbored

I really didn’t expect the entire squad to be ripped up and started again this window that’s for sure ! Huge gamble really and could send us in either direction ? The question is whether this was LJ’s choice or MA’s choice to force LJ’s hand and change his philosophy perhaps ? Who knows ? 

Just now, Baldyman said:

I really didn’t expect the entire squad to be ripped up and started again this window that’s for sure ! Huge gamble really and could send us in either direction ? The question is whether this was LJ’s choice or MA’s choice to force LJ’s hand and change his philosophy perhaps ? Who knows ? 

But boy it’s exciting to see what happens!  

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ok, fair enough.  Clearly the signings of Nagy and the french lad left us with a surfeit of midfielders so if Cardiff came knocking for Pack, he was likely to go for a decent fee.

Indeed. But I would go a step further and say it is strange that, in the last hour of the transfer window, Cardiff suddenly decided to enquire about the captain of their rivals. It is a last minute scramble to sign players at that point so I don’t believe Cardiff would have made a bid unless they had been discreetly informed we would be minded to accept it if they did...

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

His dad brought in players from all over the world as a last gasp, you`re not telling me that this vast transfer window "exchange" was planned otherwise the point of pre season was?

The much hyped "number 9" was certainly not our first or second choice and was certainly a last gasp/face saving signing.

Last minute off loadings well, really? did they leave or were they pushed ? Pack dominated the best club in this country, not so long ago now is "over the hill"

Its natural for us to think our imports are great and our exports aren't needed/past there sell by dates and what we have now is better...really....quite a few of our signings have never been heard of before they came here.

So over to you then LJ pre-season starts now...oh wait a minute the season has...good luck with that then.

I haven’t got any likes left today, but this post deserves one?

I’m honestly not sure if LJ knows what his own plans are. I keep saying it, but he constantly complains of no leaders in the team, then gets rid of any we have.

Whilst signing obviously good players is good, we also know that the Championship is an unforgiving league where experience of the league is vital, especially in central midfield. Has he signed any real experience in that area?

Ive never known our club turn around a squad so often, it’s constant change. Just when is our coach going to coach players into what he wants from them, rather than just selling and buying and hoping the next one is the correct one.

We were told that it would take 3-4 transfer windows for him to get what he wanted, so why hasn’t he now got a settled squad, with a settled formation and a settled way of playing?.

I for one haven’t got a clue how we will line up and what our tactical master plan will be this week, the same as I’m still trying to figure out what the plan was for Leeds!

16 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Strange. I could have told them what they needed to know on that front during last season. Why would it take the Palace and Leeds games I wonder? 

My assumption is the belief up to that point was the squad- plus the loanees and a new striker and goalkeeper - would be good enough to replicate our best form last season and that all we needed to do was adjust around the edges.

My hypothesis was the Palace game was a complete shock. It was our final friendly and we did not compete. However one game is easy to dismiss as an aberration and I imagine LJ would have been confident we would still turn it on against Leeds. I think our performance on Sunday proved it wasn’t.

Given how in previous Jan windows we have been hugely reluctant to go for it, this represents a massive change of approach!  It’s ballsy alright, but I guess the fees we’ve received this summer, esp Webster have created an opportunity.

Big job for Lee and team to integrate the new players, so we could see yet more losing and winning runs, but we’ve invested in a lot of talent and gone for an overhaul as opposed to a tweak. We were so close last season to play offs, but conversely also some way off the top teams. I can’t wait to see what this new lot can achieve.

Good we have a cup game next week too. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Pre-season is about fitness right?

so do you really believe that every player we have brought has not had a pre-season at their club?

is it only players not on the transfer list are aloud to train? 

Fitness and coaching of playing style , formations, team bonding, other than that what had preseason ever done for us ?

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My assumption is the belief up to that point was the squad- plus the loanees and a new striker and goalkeeper - would be good enough to replicate our best form last season and that all we needed to do was adjust around the edges.

My hypothesis was the Palace game was a complete shock. It was our final friendly and we did not compete. However one game is easy to dismiss as an aberration and I imagine LJ would have been confident we would still turn it on against Leeds. I think our performance on Sunday proved it wasn’t.

Truth is that FGR outplayed us for periods of our friendly against them, much better organised. What got us back into the game was a stroke of good fortune with a deflection and what appeared to be our superior fitness. Didn't LJ say something afterwards about jet-lag, and then about heads not being right? The Palace match was a bit of a fiasco - the only home friendly and get tanked. But it shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise.

Crikey, does anyone want to try and 2nd guess the team for Saturday? ?

-----------------------------------------------------------Bentley

Hunt / Pereira------------------Kalas----------------------------Moore / Baker--------------------Dasilva

__________________________________Nagy (asking a lot IMHO)

------------------------------Brownhill------------Palmer /Massengo----------------------Eliasson

----------------------------------------Diedhou-------------------Afobe

Man, that's a lot of new players!

29 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I think the answer lies in too many disappointments and near misses with the squad we had .

I am delighted that the club have seen what we have seen ; that certain players weren’t quite up to the level where we want to go and never would be .

Pato , on his day , a brilliant, unstoppable player. His days weren’t frequent enough for the Championship let alone if and when we go up .

Fielding , lovely bloke , consumate pro , and a good shot stopper . Start adding injuries into his wayward kicking and lack of authority in his penalty area = look for improvement.

Pack, Mr Dependable, top bloke , not reactive enough to the opposition press and too slow with his distribution = we can do better.

The list goes on .

We loved these players and for me they will always hold a special place in my heart for the double winning season they gave us however life goes on and the new boys will write the next chapter in our history.

The players are monitored constantly by the club and hard facts rule over any sentimental judgments . It would have been a collective decision as to who left and who comes in.

38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. But I would go a step further and say it is strange that, in the last hour of the transfer window, Cardiff suddenly decided to enquire about the captain of their rivals. It is a last minute scramble to sign players at that point so I don’t believe Cardiff would have made a bid unless they had been discreetly informed we would be minded to accept it if they did...

Or maybe they had made a tentative enquiry earlier and we had said yes, subject to us signing one or two players...

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Crikey, does anyone want to try and 2nd guess the team for Saturday? ?

-----------------------------------------------------------Bentley

Hunt / Pereira------------------Kalas----------------------------Moore / Baker--------------------Dasilva

__________________________________Nagy (asking a lot IMHO)

------------------------------Brownhill------------Palmer /Massengo----------------------Eliasson

----------------------------------------Diedhou-------------------Afobe

Man, that's a lot of new players!

I think he has to play Brownhill in the holding role for this one, even if it is a short term fix while Nagy gets up to speed.  Maybe:

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Moore Dasilva

Brownhill

Eliasson Palmer Massengo Weimann

Diedhiou

subs including Nagy, Afobe and Taylor

42 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Truth is that FGR outplayed us for periods of our friendly against them, much better organised. What got us back into the game was a stroke of good fortune with a deflection and what appeared to be our superior fitness. Didn't LJ say something afterwards about jet-lag, and then about heads not being right? The Palace match was a bit of a fiasco - the only home friendly and get tanked. But it shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise.

I was almost going to include the FGR game too but absolutely. I think the assumption was everything was suddenly going to click at some point until it became clear it really wasn't.

33 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Or maybe they had made a tentative enquiry earlier and we had said yes, subject to us signing one or two players...

It's possible. I remain skeptical though. They were after another midfielder and the move for Pack seems to have come purely from leftfield. If I was a betting man, I'd say the idea came up during the conversations over Reid...

10 hours ago, ColeCiderRed said:

Patience will be key. It's quite possible that LJ won't know his best team for a while. I'm still excited to see what the new boys can do. All of which I hope we all get behind. How about you @Robbored you looking forward to this season? 

Very likely the tombola is getting a wipe down & damn good spraying of WD40..

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Very likely the tombola is getting a wipe down & damn good spraying of WD40..

Why the cynicism RB?

Aren't you pleased that the revenue generated by the sale of Kelly and Webster has be reinvested into the playing squad?  

Its now up to LJ and his assistants to blend the new signings into a decent team and although it might take a while I’m sure they’ll be successful.

OUR NEW TEAM

An emerging CB 

NEW MIDFIELD

A new Front Man.

We have been for a long time useless and very slow in midfield, Marlon was a good servant but recently lost the quickness now needed in the championship.

These Changes have been necessary since the start of Last Season so LJ's BOLD approach might just be what we need.I hope so, In MHO I don't think the protection to the defence has been up to scratch, AW made up for the short commings, Hopefully we have solved that, only time will tell. The strikers have not had the service in the correct areas to enable them to get shots away fast enough and often enough to score so fingers crossed our changes will make the difference. This is the best time to make these changes as the first 5 - 10 games are recoverable if it dosent work.

I don't think this will be the team / formation tomorrow, but a team i would like to see

Bentley

Kalas       Moore      Baker

Hunt or Perreira                                       DaSilva

Brownhill            Rowe or Nagy

Palmer

Weimann               Afobe

We played with 3 at the back against Derby pre-season, in the game that was washed out and that was the best i saw us play.

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

His dad brought in players from all over the world as a last gasp, you`re not telling me that this vast transfer window "exchange" was planned otherwise the point of pre season was?

The much hyped "number 9" was certainly not our first or second choice and was certainly a last gasp/face saving signing.

Last minute off loadings well, really? did they leave or were they pushed ? Pack dominated the best club in this country, not so long ago now is "over the hill"

Its natural for us to think our imports are great and our exports aren't needed/past there sell by dates and what we have now is better...really....quite a few of our signings have never been heard of before they came here.

So over to you then LJ pre-season starts now...oh wait a minute the season has...good luck with that then.

Last grasp? Considering LJ said it would be a bold summer, and bold it certainly has been then I'd say there was a high level of planning that went into all of this, rather than being last grasp. 

Our number 1 target ****** us over at the last minute, I don't blame the lad but Arsenal I certainly do blame. Whilst BA wasn't our first choice, it's better to have him than no one right? 

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Packs distribution was shocking v Leeds

Go on then, how many passes do you think he misplaced against Leeds? Against Leeds his job wasn't to play the balls forward, it was to intercept their passes and recycle the ball which he did, he only misplaced passes (bar a couple) when he looked to play long to the final 3rd.

Archived