IGNORED

Baker - red card waiting to happen - so what?!

BS4 on Tour...

All the panic about us not replacing Webster - I think the man is Baker. Hard as nails and a great defender.

I’ve read lots on here over the last few years about Baker being a liability because he is a ‘red card waiting to happen.’ 

When I was growing up watching City we had Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield - he scared the living daylights out of many fine players (and I know for a fact Paul Mariner was one of them) which stopped them playing, he was rock hard and got stuck right in - he was awesome at that but he could also play, boy could he play! But he was the epitome of ‘a red card waiting to happen.’

Back then Liverpool had Tommy Smith then Graeme Souness, Derby had Dave MacKay, Leeds had Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner, Ipswich had John Wark ... etc. All hard, no nonsense players who gave it everything.

Having a rock hard defender who doesn’t mind getting stuck in is an asset, it plays on the mind of the player they are marking straightaway - a reputation of being a bit mad and crazy doesn’t do you any harm. I was lucky enough to spend some social time with Gerry Gow after he left Man City - he told me many tales of winding up opposition players in the tunnel before a game and making them shit scared of him before the game had even started! Absolute legend!

Nothing wrong with having a reputation like that - get Baker out there, revved up and ready to go! I know the game has changed but let’s get our psycho centre half in the game before we lose him ...

Long ball merchant. Gets caught with the ball over the top and looks very casual. 

However i do like him and love his ‘red card waiting to happen’ moments where he turns into the monk from mean machine and looks like he want to snap the next opponent in front of him in half!?

When he was on loan he was reckless. Not the same since he was made permanent but a good player and one we should definitely be using and perhaps saving a transfer fee on Websters replacement. 

I have no problem with Baker, as long as he avoids his injury problems. I personally think the red card risk is old news; it goes back to when he was on loan here rather than more recent times. I was also impressed by Moore on Sunday. So I’m pleased we have prioritised other positions over a direct replacement for Webster. And it’s not even as if we have ignored the defence - we have recruited at RB, LB and RCB. 

I would pick him ahead of Wright and Moore, absolutely. At his best he's a top end of the Championship player.

I like him but the problem, as already mentioned, is the question marks against his fitness and discipline - he just not going to play 46 games a season for us, is he?

I also wonder about his desire - a player of his quality shouldn't be happy with life as a reserve at Championship Bristol City (I'm happy he is though!). Does he like the money and the lifestyle and isn't too bothered about playing?? I don't know but I do wonder.

Lastly, his defending against set pieces into our box is frequently of schoolboy standard - the number of times he loses his man is scary.

All of which leaves me staggered that we haven't replaced Webster but, as I say, he's still the best of the rest when it comes to finding a partner for Kalas. And if he proves his doubters wrong by getting a run of games under his belt, maintaining his fitness, not picking up needless cards, forming a miserly partnership with Kalas, I will be absolutely delighted.

It's got nothing to do with being a red card waiting to happen, but he's completed less games than he's had injuries whilst here.

Whilst I do feel bad for him, he can't be relied upon so I'd much rather Bailey or Taylor get the games. Taylor has earned a run in the championship 

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All the panic about us not replacing Webster - I think the man is Baker. Hard as nails and a great defender.

I’ve read lots on here over the last few years about Baker being a liability because he is a ‘red card waiting to happen.’ 

When I was growing up watching City we had Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield - he scared the living daylights out of many fine players (and I know for a fact Paul Mariner was one of them) which stopped them playing, he was rock hard and got stuck right in - he was awesome at that but he could also play, boy could he play! But he was the epitome of ‘a red card waiting to happen.’

Back then Liverpool had Tommy Smith then Graeme Souness, Derby had Dave MacKay, Leeds had Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner, Ipswich had John Wark ... etc. All hard, no nonsense players who gave it everything.

Having a rock hard defender who doesn’t mind getting stuck in is an asset, it plays on the mind of the player they are marking straightaway - a reputation of being a bit mad and crazy doesn’t do you any harm. I was lucky enough to spend some social time with Gerry Gow after he left Man City - he told me many tales of winding up opposition players in the tunnel before a game and making them shit scared of him before the game had even started! Absolute legend!

Nothing wrong with having a reputation like that - get Baker out there, revved up and ready to go! I know the game has changed but let’s get our psycho centre half in the game before we lose him ...

All great players....

However they'd be sent off every other week in this day and age... times and rules have changed to protect the players.

I like Baker though. Would have no concerns about his starting for us.... he may get sent off over the season but not as much as some might think!

It's a shame cus I like Baker but he is often more of a 'substitution waiting to happen' I fear. Never know if he's going to last 9 or 90 minutes, a number of times we've had to sub him off early in games which has then reduced our ability to change a game tactically later on.

I don't argue with his qualities, it's just that 

a) comparing with the likes of Gerry Gow and Norman Hunter, neither of whom would have lasted 10 minutes without a red card nowadays

b) he's as likely to get injured as he is red carded, often through his own very rash challenges. Who else starts a new season with concussion?!

Im ok with him alongside Kalas, tho would prefer Webster, but we just need to have a plan B ready and waiting and more than just a stop gap. 

Baker and Wright have lived in the shadow of Flint, Webster and Kalas the past couple of seasons. They’re perfectly capable championship defenders in my opinion. The worrying element is their fitness record. 

People who say it’s essential to have a ball playing centre back forget we played our best attacking football without one (run to semis in league cup and pushing wolves in 2nd). We’ve also signed some technically gifted players in other areas, so maybe this will take the emphasis away and place  it on the importance of just being solid. 

Baker would be my choice to partner Kalas as he’s a lefty and gives us balance. Happy  to see what Moore can do in the meantime. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If he can stay fit then for me he is a shoe in to be paired with Kalas

Nowhere near as good as Webster in playing from the back but maybe playing into our new technically gifted midfield and fullbacks is all that’s required

Baker is a good defender and better than Moore so LJs priority is to have a strong back line and solid defensively first and foremost 

We will see!

Baker is as hard as nails, just as GG was but in today’s game GG would not have been allowed to get away with his tough ‘get stuck in’ style.  He’d have to tone it down if he were around these days  to avoid yellows and reds and that would restrict his game.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

4 straight reds and 2 second booking reds in a career starting in 2009 doesn't sound terrible does it?

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Hard as nails? He'll go off the pitch with a nose bleed. Can't be relied on.

I’m inclined to agree.

This is a massive season for Baker he has been the Anti-Flint but now needs to show that he can be depended on for a full season or he will find himself the ‘ forgotten man ‘ . 

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, and I'd bring Jamie Mac out of retirement too!!

He was a tough player in his day. That Johnson playoff side had a lot of players like that actually.. Orr, Carey, Jamie Mac, Elliot, Adebola, Brooker, Vasko, Showumni, Trundle, McIndoe, Jevons, McCombe - lots of them were either tough and/or niggly players that got in the faces of the opposition and the referee. 

Lots of seasoned pros in that side too, especially compared to the current squad. More than one way to have success in this league.

Archived