IGNORED

Baker - red card waiting to happen - so what?!

BS4 on Tour...

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He was a tough player in his day. That Johnson playoff side had a lot of players like that actually.. Orr, Carey, Jamie Mac, Elliot, Adebola, Brooker, Vasko, Showumni, Trundle, McIndoe, Jevons, McCombe - lots of them were either tough and/or niggly players that got in the faces of the opposition and the referee. 

Lots of seasoned pros in that side too, especially compared to the current squad. More than one way to have success in this league.

?  (I've run out of Likes)

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:20, BS4 on Tour... said:

All the panic about us not replacing Webster - I think the man is Baker. Hard as nails and a great defender.

I’ve read lots on here over the last few years about Baker being a liability because he is a ‘red card waiting to happen.’ 

When I was growing up watching City we had Gerry Gow prowling around in midfield - he scared the living daylights out of many fine players (and I know for a fact Paul Mariner was one of them) which stopped them playing, he was rock hard and got stuck right in - he was awesome at that but he could also play, boy could he play! But he was the epitome of ‘a red card waiting to happen.’

Back then Liverpool had Tommy Smith then Graeme Souness, Derby had Dave MacKay, Leeds had Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner, Ipswich had John Wark ... etc. All hard, no nonsense players who gave it everything.

Having a rock hard defender who doesn’t mind getting stuck in is an asset, it plays on the mind of the player they are marking straightaway - a reputation of being a bit mad and crazy doesn’t do you any harm. I was lucky enough to spend some social time with Gerry Gow after he left Man City - he told me many tales of winding up opposition players in the tunnel before a game and making them shit scared of him before the game had even started! Absolute legend!

Nothing wrong with having a reputation like that - get Baker out there, revved up and ready to go! I know the game has changed but let’s get our psycho centre half in the game before we lose him ...

the thing is some red card offences today would probably have not been deemed a bookable offence in the 70s, the game has changed beyond all recognition and not all for the good. 

Archived