IGNORED

Johnson's final gamble? Deadline Day reviewed

The Exiled Robin

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

I'd say it doesn't seem to be crazy compared with other clubs especially if you consider the size of the squad inherited, and the fact part of our system seems to now be buying/taking a chance on young talent and relying on  % of them working. 

LJ has undoubtedly been incredibly lucky timing wise - particularly the sale of Kojia which freed up funds. But he has also been lucky that our academy has started to produce quality players that he can use and/or sell. 

But I think any manager that came in at this time would have been offered the same opportunity provided we kept making progress. Where he was lucky was on our record loosing streak, I have little doubt anyone else would have gone at that point, but ultimately I think sticking with him did pay off. 

I agree with much of what you say but have to point out that the squad he inherited wasn’t large by any stretch - it was threadbare with lots of loans following the disasterous recruitment of summer 2015.

So part of the reason we’ve bought so many was simply a need to get the squad up to size.

I would also argue that our steady progress up the league ladder in recent years is a reason for the turnover of players; the squad LJ inherited was primarily L1 standard (albeit good L1). So we needed to spend to get to Championship standard, and that has evolved to spending to get to play off standard. We’ve also had the problem of some players exceeding our own achievements and moving to higher levels, forcing us to buy replacements.

So while there is no doubt LJ has been well backed, I see it as much about continuous evolution and improving our quality, rather than the suggestion that he is constantly failing to get his squad right.

Of course some transfers haven’t worked out, but that’s the same for all managers and clubs.

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'd love to know whose idea it was to spend £8m on an 18yo who has only played a handful of first team games.

I find it difficult to believe that LJ would have chosen to spend that much of his funds that way. It does strike me as an MA decision, following the vision set by SL. Here's a little diamond for you Lee, polish him up and make us a whacking great profit please.

All well and good but Lee can only lose in that scenario. I find it hard to see that the player will contribute significantly this season. If you're looking to finish top 6 this season surely this isn't the most effective way to spend that money.

The same was being said a couple of years ago when we sold our star striker and replace him a loanee of a similar age. That didn't turn out too bad so lets wait and see.

Regardless of age any of the signings could turn out to be wonder signings or duds, it a gamble all clubs take.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Havnt got any problem with being given the opportunity Rich and its great backing 

but

If as a head coach , you have a clear plan I’m not sure you need to go thro the turnover or acquisition of those numbers to suddenly then largely or part rip it up and  nigh on start again 3 1/2 years in 

it may be a upgrade in personnel , some signs on / promise about those players look really good , let’s hope so .

What it should mean if that’s the case,  is a significantly improved side

It is a bit weird, and I hope it has been part of LJ's "project bold".

What will impress Lansdown is that the potential value of the assets (players) in the squad is growing year on year. 

Kalas is a future £30m sale, Massengo a future £40m man etc etc. 

Has to work on the pitch though.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree with much of what you say but have to point out that the squad he inherited wasn’t large by any stretch - it was threadbare with lots of loans following the disasterous recruitment of summer 2015.

So part of the reason we’ve bought so many was simply a need to get the squad up to size.

I obviously didn’t word it very well but that’s actually what I meant. Considering the size of the squad he inherited he had to recruit just to fill it out.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

It is a bit weird, and I hope it has been part of LJ's "project bold".

What will impress Lansdown is that the potential value of the assets (players) in the squad is growing year on year. 

Kalas is a future £30m sale, Massengo a future £40m man etc etc. 

Has to work on the pitch though.

Kalas won't reach anything like £30m - he's a very very decent top half Championship defender, possibly lower third of Prem, but hasn't got the potential (or Englishness) of Webster, Kelly or others who have gone big. 

21 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Kalas won't reach anything like £30m - he's a very very decent top half Championship defender, possibly lower third of Prem, but hasn't got the potential (or Englishness) of Webster, Kelly or others who have gone big. 

You might be right there, but they'll see him as an asset that can appreciate as he reaches his prime. Most of this squad are one great season away from being big money assets because they are of an age where their best days are still some to come. That's how we operate now.

Archived