IGNORED

What are your expectations for the coming season?

Loderingo

What are your expectations for the coming season?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you expect City to finish this season?

• Top 2
    • Playoffs
    • 7th-9th
    • 10th-12th
    • 13th-16th
    • 17th-21st
    • Relegation

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/19 at 06:56

We’ve had year on year progression and the club and board will want to continue that.

Johnson has been backed, albeit balanced out through sales, but this team has to deliver.

On paper it’s a weaker league than usual too. 

I am expecting playoffs - I hope that’s the team’s target too.

For what it’s worth - I was bang on with my prediction of 8th last season.

I've gone 10th-12th...which reflects the challenge of integrating so many new players.

But let's not forget, right at the outset, that Steve Lansdown has been very clear about the club's objectives for the season, he said before the Leeds match: 

'we start the season hoping to be in the top six at the least and if we can do the top two even better, and that's what our aim is.'

The leadership of the club should expect to be judged against that.

14 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

Not got a clue. So many unknowns that it could go any way.

This... ask the question again after we have played 6 games.

If LJ persists with the dross hoofball we saw against Leeds, combined with playing Weimann right midfield, then we are going to be bottom half for sure. If he can utilise the overload of true midfield talent we now have, including starting Eliasson regularly, then we could be in for a very good season. 

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

This... ask the question again after we have played 6 games.

If LJ persists with the dross hoofball we saw against Leeds, combined with playing Weimann right midfield, then we are going to be bottom half for sure. If he can utilise the overload of true midfield talent we now have, including starting Eliasson regularly, then we could be in for a very good season. 

You’re overlooking just how good Leeds were. Lots of teams will struggle against them. It was their pressing, movement and slick passing that made City look very ordinary.

City ran out of options and resorted to hoofball - or ‘dross’ as you call it.

And......who knows? Maybe LJ saw just how limited his squad had become after the 0-5 hammering in preseason and the performance against Leeds - consequently we saw such a busy summer window. 

Expectations?

Fans will be calling for LJ's head after we lose a couple of games.

Fans will be saying that SL doesn't really want promotion when we don't pay £20m for a striker in January.

Fans withdraw all previous offers that their wives are available to Mark Ashton when we don't pay £20m for a striker in January.

Fans will have a poll on OTIB to decide who will be the new whipping boy following Pack and Pato's departures - O'Dowda installed as favourite.

Kasey Palmer will score  10 goals in his first 5 games but will then be out for 2 months with a groin strain after numerous fans offer him their wives as a reward..

Robbored will only believe what is posted on the OS - apart from news that the Dolman Tannoy has been fixed.

Mel Morris will sell his Grandmother's house to his wife for £50m in order to fund Rooney's wages, but "luckily" the EFL changed the ffp rules in the summer and created the "Rooney Rule" which allows this to be legitimate and the money raised to not count towards ffp.

Wael sells the Mem Stad to one of his other companies to get around ffp issues, but does so at a loss!

The main expectation, as is pretty well the case every season, is that I don't know what to expect from City.

I went 7th to 9th. Not quite keeping up with the big boys.

It's a right lottery though, with none of us knowing how good these new foreign players will prove.  We could have uncovered a diamond, or maybe an utter dud 

We did a bit better than I predicted last term, so let's hope it's the same again this year.

FWIW I've gone 7th to 9th. On paper I think we've strengthened most areas except the CB position, however if Nadgy is as good as he looks then him in a DM role should help out the CB's anyway and lessen the impact of losing Webster. I think we'll struggle to begin with as there's so many new faces, but once they click we'll have a strong second half to the season. Of course who knows,, this could go either way!

13-16 for me. It’s a leap of faith as far as the midfield is concerned. Could go very badly wrong with the ever present captain of last season playing in blue and unavailable to steady the ship. Reckless unnecessary changes might well come back to bite us. Last season most thought we were a 1st pick striker and 1st pick midfielder away from a top 6 finish. 2 Players bought in who would improve a team that finished a creditable 8th above teams more fancied than us.  

Losing Webster and captain pack, bringing in a striker who might be alright, bringing in 3 midfielders who might be alright and a fullback who might be alright is not meeting my expectations of the window to  propel us up the table from last season. 

The chelsea players were part of last seasons team. 

Rowe might be alright. 

Is Bentley on last seasons form much better than FF?

i can’t see the reason for optimism like I would have had if the striker and midfielder been recruited with the 3 Chelsea lads and the rest stayed pretty much as they were  

(ready to eat lashings of humble pie though if I’ve got it wrong and LJ proves a transfer window genius)

I'm going 7th-9th.

Think the midfield looks good, though losing Pack late on wasn't good. Retaining the Chelsea loanees permanently was excellent and Afobe up front while not first choice could be great, given some of players around him IF we setup right. Pereira looks an interesting addition too.

Why not top 6 then? Well a lot of new players this will take time, it's bound to. Plus of course, Webster leaving is a major hole, and I would also add for all that Bentley a good signing, Maenpaa commanded the confidence of defence quite well IMO.  Oh and departure of Pack- continuity, quality and experience- selling him feels bold..

Even if Bentley matches and surpasses Maenpaa in this area it will take time. Thinking the quality and hopefully LJ will produce tactics to match will overcome the churn but could just as easily be 10th-12th.

Now assuming though that as his personnel has evolved once again, he will produce the appropriate tactics and a gameplan to refect this.

Losing Pack and Webster is going to be a massive loss for us, if we still had them two and upgraded a few positions i would of said a top 6 finish was possible.....with so many new faces and a lack of leaders i think we might finish around mid table.

5 minutes ago, yardy said:

Losing Pack and Webster is going to be a massive loss for us, if we still had them two and upgraded a few positions i would of said a top 6 finish was possible.....with so many new faces and a lack of leaders i think we might finish around mid table.

Huge losses indeed, I remember thinking the same when we lost Flint/Bryan/Reid and ended up looking like a right tit. Not saying it's slapped on being the same! But I always wait to see how the new faces gel now. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

You’re overlooking just how good Leeds were. Lots of teams will struggle against them. It was their pressing, movement and slick passing that made City look very ordinary.

City ran out of options and resorted to hoofball - or ‘dross’ as you call it.

And......who knows? Maybe LJ saw just how limited his squad had become after the 0-5 hammering in preseason and the performance against Leeds - consequently we saw such a busy summer window. 

I think the management is bit more strategic than that, these deals would have there roots planned a long time ago maybe up to 2 years. I don't think LJ saw us lose 0-5 and went to the player supermarket to see who was available. 

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

I think the management is bit more strategic than that, these deals would have there roots planned a long time ago maybe up to 2 years. I don't think LJ saw us lose 0-5 and went to the player supermarket to see who was available. 

You are right but I do wonder if perhaps a January target or two were maybe brought forward after Sunday. We`ll never know of course.

Archived