IGNORED

(Not happening) Expanding the ground

Unan

Purely hypothetical but what do you think it will take to expand the ground? Premiership football for 3 years? A season of nearly constant sell outs? 

Also, I’m sure when the stadium redevelopment was announced it was stated that our ground could be expanded again to 38,000(?) but I can’t find any evidence of this from a quick google search, did I make that up?

52 minutes ago, Unan said:

Purely hypothetical but what do you think it will take to expand the ground? Premiership football for 3 years? A season of nearly constant sell outs? 

Also, I’m sure when the stadium redevelopment was announced it was stated that our ground could be expanded again to 38,000(?) but I can’t find any evidence of this from a quick google search, did I make that up?

Pretty certain the south stand has been built so that a top tier can be added..

55 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If we get to the prem you have to wonder if it would be worth doing it.

The amount of telly money would make gate receipts less of a concern, and do you spend 40mil or more on making it bigger if what you can charge for a seat doesn't yield much of a return.

Add in hospitality and that makes it much more financially viable. 

The hospitality suits us now but we would be losing out on money in the Prem by not having the extra facilities.

If we get there I wonder whether we'd bank 'X' amount and set it aside for the rebuild of the Dolman which would include more hospitality areas etc in its rebuild, a rebuilt Dolman could push us to the 30,000 mark which would probably be enough.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

If we get there I wonder whether we'd bank 'X' amount and set it aside for the rebuild of the Dolman which would include more hospitality areas etc in its rebuild, a rebuilt Dolman could push us to the 30,000 mark which would probably be enough.

I think that's more likely. Redeveloping the away end doesn't make much sense for hospitality. 

At the time of the plans SL said he considered building to 35k including Atyeo but they decided against it. Presumably on the basis of lets fill 27k first.

No idea what they can do without buying all the houses behind though.

I’d have thought it’d be quite limited so as not to be financially worthwhile for the degree of expanded capacity. 

If we get to the Prem and go for expansion we could well be back down again before it was completed. We really could end up with a half empty stadium in that case with no atmosphere. Think we need a few years consolidation with full gates first.

12 minutes ago, marmite said:

If we get to the Prem and go for expansion we could well be back down again before it was completed. We really could end up with a half empty stadium in that case with no atmosphere. Think we need a few years consolidation with full gates first.

simple, just concentrate the fans in the lower tier

I know aesthetically the Atyeo stand does kind of stick out a bit like a sore thumb.

But in terms of view, capacity for away fans (like it or not) and potential for atmosphere generation there are far far worse stands in the Championship and even the Premier league.

Perhaps filling in the corners and a bit of cladding to match the other stands would make that end look a whole lot more integrated than necessarily rebuilding it just to make more capacity the probably isn't needed anyway.

36 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

I know aesthetically the Atyeo stand does kind of stick out a bit like a sore thumb.

But in terms of view, capacity for away fans (like it or not) and potential for atmosphere generation there are far far worse stands in the Championship and even the Premier league.

Perhaps filling in the corners and a bit of cladding to match the other stands would make that end look a whole lot more integrated than necessarily rebuilding it just to make more capacity the probably isn't needed anyway.

I've said it before IF we get to the Premiership 27,000 will be completely inadequate, yes for some games it might be just enough, but we could sell 40,000 for at least 8 to 10 games all these people saying oh it's plenty big enough will be the first ones moaning when they can't get a season ticket for love or money.

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Pretty certain the south stand has been built so that a top tier can be added..

You could only build on top of the south stand, if lansdown bought at least half a dozen houses at the back. Couldn't see it happening otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Has it? Great if it has but not sure how that would work Worn House’s/gardens behind. 

Stadium construction has allowed secondary (or more) tiers to be added without requiring a complete rebuild for a while, so would certainly expect that to be the way the South Stand would be increased. Though as mentioned up to 8 or even 10 semis on Rains Rd would need to be purchased.

With the profiling of the Atyeo it might not work for that so would probably need a complete rebuild. With the need to buy 18 houses on Ashton Rd as well a South Stand expansion would almost certainly be undertaken first.

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

When the Atyeo is rebuilt, it'll look like this. 

IMG_20190809_164150.jpg

Would look awesome but we would probably have to buy Greville Smyth Park to make it feasible!

If we did something like this to match the height of the Lansdown it would certainly be impressive and push us near 35k capacity.

Archived