IGNORED

(Not happening) Expanding the ground

Unan

2 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

If we were top 2/3 all season I think we’d be sold out most weeks. Do you not? 

Last two seasons home support (minus away fans) has averaged around 19,500 and I don't see that changing much this season either. If we reach the Prem I'd still be surprised if it rose much more than 21,000 average. Away fans might bump it up though by filling the Atyeo most weeks. Does anyone know how many fans Prem clubs take away on average? Can't see many averaging more than 4,000 week in week out. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Last two seasons home support (minus away fans) has averaged around 19,500 and I don't see that changing much this season either. If we reach the Prem I'd still be surprised if it rose much more than 21,000 average. Away fans might bump it up though by filling the Atyeo most weeks. Does anyone know how many fans Prem clubs take away on average? Can't see many averaging more than 4,000 week in week out. 

We would average more than 21k in the Prem. I’d go as far as to say there would be a very good chance we would sell out season tickets.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

We would average more than 21k in the Prem. I’d go as far as to say there would be a very good chance we would sell out season tickets.

Like your confidence but based on what. In the days of standing when the ground held 38,000 we averaged in total (Inc away fans) 23,500. And before being accused of living in the past and times have changed, they really haven't that much. As much as Sky and the BBC would like us to believe it football did not start in 1992 with the Premier League.

I can see a first honeymoon season when we might sell out most weeks in the Prem but I'm not convinced it would last. Selling out season tickets may well depend on price. 

Doesn’t the maximum away allocation reduce when in the premiership? If so any additional home fans would take up some part of the Atyeo. 

Plus if fans complain that they can’t get season tickets when in the premiership, why not get them now when we’re not there? 

I don’t get this feel sorry for the ones missing out, why are they not going to games now so the club can get more revenue. That way if we do go up they get early bird options so get their tickets for the season in the Prem. 

Impossible for the south stand to be extended without the purchase and demolition of 10 house at the dolman end

Dolman also would require demolition of nelson Mandela house for a much larger rebuild, and in fact I can’t ever see the housing situation being solved behind the Atyeo to expand there either!

a rethink and modern rebuild of the Atyeo probably the only option for a small expansion, up to 30k which despite comments here we don’t need any more than that

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Like your confidence but based on what. In the days of standing when the ground held 38,000 we averaged in total (Inc away fans) 23,500. And before being accused of living in the past and times have changed, they really haven't that much. As much as Sky and the BBC would like us to believe it football did not start in 1992 with the Premier League.

I can see a first honeymoon season when we might sell out most weeks in the Prem but I'm not convinced it would last. Selling out season tickets may well depend on price. 

We averaged over 21,000 last season, do you really think we would only average a couple of thousand more in the Premier league? if we can take over 40,000 to London for the paint pot trophy playing the likes of Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, means there will be many games when we could easily sell 40,000 and another half a dozen where we could expect over 30,000, I think you are being overly pessimistic. 

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think that's more likely. Redeveloping the away end doesn't make much sense for hospitality. 

It does if the houses are knocked down as you would get an incredible view.

4 hours ago, awbb said:

Stadium construction has allowed secondary (or more) tiers to be added without requiring a complete rebuild for a while, so would certainly expect that to be the way the South Stand would be increased. Though as mentioned up to 8 or even 10 semis on Rains Rd would need to be purchased.

With the profiling of the Atyeo it might not work for that so would probably need a complete rebuild. With the need to buy 18 houses on Ashton Rd as well a South Stand expansion would almost certainly be undertaken first.

I think purchasing a part of their gardens would be sufficient.

54 minutes ago, pillred said:

We averaged over 21,000 last season, do you really think we would only average a couple of thousand more in the Premier league? if we can take over 40,000 to London for the paint pot trophy playing the likes of Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, means there will be many games when we could easily sell 40,000 and another half a dozen where we could expect over 30,000, I think you are being overly pessimistic. 

I was talking about home fans only. In terms of home fans we averaged 19500 last season, not 21000 which was the figure inclusive of away support and which is fickle dependent on tickets allocated, distance to travel, timing of match etc. The number of supporters  we take to a Wembley final is irrelevant, as evidenced by the SAGS who have sometimes taken more than us due to allocations. We could undoubtedly sell more when playing the top 6, although many of these would to plastics not true City supporters, but matches against the likes of Burnley on a Tuesday night would not sell out and would bring the average down. With the cost of football being what it is I have doubts as to whether we could sell out the home areas of AG every week for more than an initial season. Whether it's palatable or not Bristol is not a football mad city and there are many who, given the choice, would work overtime on a Saturday rather than attend a football match. 

IF we ever got to the so called promised land we would be the only club in the whole of the south west. 

Now that is some catchment area and who knows how many would want to watch premier league football  ?

but like people have said after the honeymoon period what would it drop down to ?

How many people have you heard say if we got promoted they would come and watch us play.....

Ticket sales used to be everything - a significant proportion of club income.

As has been said above, the income for being a Premier League team now dwarves the revenue from fans at the turnstiles.

There's really no financial argument for expanding the stadium (with the complexity of the build and/or the need to purchase houses).

The only reasons to expand Ashton Gate now would be for vanity and potentially a better atmosphere. For structural issues, the Dolman might need replacing before too long as I'm sure the club have identified it has a finite lifespan.

We would definitely increase our average attendance in the Prem but I wouldn't like to be in Cardiff's position where they close off the upper tier of their blue/red stand everytime they get relegated. Their capacity is too big for them in the Championship.

For the time being, I think 27,000 is about right although I would love to see the Atyeo rebuilt.

To justify the rebuild of the Atyeo and the possible land purchase both City and Bears will need to be selling out multiple games a season. Both will likely need to be regularly competing at a higher level than they're currently at; City in prem and Bears in Champions Cup/premiership play-offs. Some better marketing would help too, further afield from the city itself.

It's definitely possible and should be a realistic goal in time. I like how both clubs are progressing, steady building is the way.

14 hours ago, pillred said:

I've said it before IF we get to the Premiership 27,000 will be completely inadequate, yes for some games it might be just enough, but we could sell 40,000 for at least 8 to 10 games all these people saying oh it's plenty big enough will be the first ones moaning when they can't get a season ticket for love or money.

Agreed, but considering any expansion would probably take 2-3 years to complete we’d need to be established in the Prem to even worry.

11 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

If we were top 2/3 all season I think we’d be sold out most weeks. Do you not? 

Have a word with yourself!! Correct if we were top 2/3 in the Prem we would be sold out.

That means rubbing shoulders with the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Spurs etc. Not likely to happen anytime soon. Got to get their first!!!

6 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

IF we ever got to the so called promised land we would be the only club in the whole of the south west. 

Now that is some catchment area and who knows how many would want to watch premier league football  ?

but like people have said after the honeymoon period what would it drop down to ?

How many people have you heard say if we got promoted they would come and watch us play.....

What were Cardiff's gates like in a struggling premier league season?

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What were Cardiff's gates like in a struggling premier league season?

Its a good point. But I have a feeling you won't be able to get a ticket for love nor money if we make it. Whether we're winning or losing. 

We have hundreds of thousands of couch potato plastics with Sky TV in Bristol. They'd lap it up. 

Does anyone not find it strange that what we are talking about extending the ground if we got to the Prem to get more fans in, who would then not go again when the club once relegated? 

How many of the supporters who bought a half season ticket, to ensure they got to go the Manure game actually carried on going after? 

Cardiff showed that by opening top tier for Prem to then closing it. 

10 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Being honest, back in 2012, 2013 or before that if someone had said on here "with a modernised ground we will average 15k for finishing 18th in the Championship and then over 20k for more Championship football, shifting 15k season tickets" your thoughts would've been pretty much the same, wouldn't they? Who saw this coming, other than SL?

I think we have surprised ourselves with our numbers showing up (although the docile, unenthusiastic, "ffs Pack/City!" quality of support continues unchanged) and who knows what further support is out there, while the nationwide enthusiasm for the game goes on

9 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I was talking about home fans only. In terms of home fans we averaged 19500 last season, not 21000 which was the figure inclusive of away support and which is fickle dependent on tickets allocated, distance to travel, timing of match etc. The number of supporters  we take to a Wembley final is irrelevant, as evidenced by the SAGS who have sometimes taken more than us due to allocations. We could undoubtedly sell more when playing the top 6, although many of these would to plastics not true City supporters, but matches against the likes of Burnley on a Tuesday night would not sell out and would bring the average down. With the cost of football being what it is I have doubts as to whether we could sell out the home areas of AG every week for more than an initial season. Whether it's palatable or not Bristol is not a football mad city and there are many who, given the choice, would work overtime on a Saturday rather than attend a football match. 

It wouldn't take long for that interest to grow if and I know it's a big if we were reasonably successful, if the likes of Brighton and Southampton can get regular crowds over 30,000 us with a huge catchment area should have no trouble averaging around that figure, most if not all Premiership clubs would sell out the Atyeo stand, our crowds last season were almost on a par with when we were in the top flight so interest is already growing, a higher standard of football would almost certainly see a fairly large increase on last seasons attendances.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Agreed, but considering any expansion would probably take 2-3 years to complete we’d need to be established in the Prem to even worry.

Don't think it would take that long, the ground doesn't need that much doing to it. shame it's not a bit bigger already as it means more disruption in the future.

12 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

it true. The artificial attendance maybe what you say but physical people actually through the gates is 1000-2500 less. If no one turned out to a city hime game and stadium was empty they would still class it as 13500 people as its the amount of people who buy season cards automatically included regardless if they go to the game

On 10/08/2019 at 10:55, Redwhitepurple said:

it true. The artificial attendance maybe what you say but physical people actually through the gates is 1000-2500 less. If no one turned out to a city hime game and stadium was empty they would still class it as 13500 people as its the amount of people who buy season cards automatically included regardless if they go to the game

Well you can't double sell seats so it doesn't matter if people actually attend or not, it'd be the same maximum amount either way.

On 10/08/2019 at 00:04, Up The City! said:

It does if the houses are knocked down as you would get an incredible view.

I think purchasing a part of their gardens would be sufficient.

The gardens (back yards) are about 15/20 feet in that part of Ashton Rd, used to live in 61.

On 10/08/2019 at 10:29, pillred said:

It wouldn't take long for that interest to grow if and I know it's a big if we were reasonably successful, if the likes of Brighton and Southampton can get regular crowds over 30,000 us with a huge catchment area should have no trouble averaging around that figure, most if not all Premiership clubs would sell out the Atyeo stand, our crowds last season were almost on a par with when we were in the top flight so interest is already growing, a higher standard of football would almost certainly see a fairly large increase on last seasons attendances.

On a par with published attendance figures.

But not with the actual attendance. Far too much fiddling of figures and the financial receipts.

Archived