IGNORED

How good is Massengo, what do we know?

reddogkev

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. But 01/01/2000 was neither the first day of a new millennium nor the first day of a new decade.

You are right that we talk about decades in terms of the number they start with - the 70s, 80s, 90s etc but a decade actually runs until the year that starts with a zero.

I do get that this is massively counter-intuitive and it is hard work to get your head around. Best way I can explain it is simply to think what happens when you count to ten. You don’t start with 0 and then go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, which is ten numbers. You skip zero and start on 1.

Similarly “Year Zero” never happened. The year after 1 BC was 1 AD so you start counting decades from January 1st 0001. Then the tenth year - so first decade - ends  on December 31st 0010. And then you count ten more and on and on. So a decade ends after each year which is a multiple of ten.

This is commonly misunderstood - so much so that we celebrated the Millennium a year early when 1999 became 2000 even though - given we had started the first millennium on January 1st 0001 because there was no year zero - the first millennium ended on December 31st 1000 and the second one began on January 1st 1001 so actually ended on December 31st 2000.

Ps. For anyone wondering, Yes, I am indeed unbelievably good fun at parties!

2 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Actually it could be and is... a decade is purely a period of 10 years and can be started from any point. Eg;

"For a decade he has been a fan of Bristol City"

"It has been almost two decades since Rovers were above City in the football league"

Mathematically you are correct but modern society typically defines historical decades (due to it being more culturally relevant) as 30-39 (thirties), 70-79(seventies), etc. The same applies to a millennium which is a period of 1000 years.

I'm fun at parties too.

You're both talking bollocks - I don't get invited to parties! :D

Actually I agree with the "decade starts at 01/01/2001" as you don't start counting from zero. I think it's the convention for modern celebration that the new millennium was celebrated on 01.01.2000 as it would probably have seemed a bit naff to wait for a whole 12 months of the year 2000 before starting celebrations.

2 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Actually it could be and is... a decade is purely a period of 10 years and can be started from any point. Eg;

"For a decade he has been a fan of Bristol City"

"It has been almost two decades since Rovers were above City in the football league"

Mathematically you are correct but modern society typically defines historical decades (due to it being more culturally relevant) as 30-39 (thirties), 70-79(seventies), etc. The same applies to a millennium which is a period of 1000 years.

I'm fun at parties too.

Absolutely. I should have clarified that on both points. Any set of ten years can be called indeed a decade (in fact I did not know this until last week but ten of anything can be called a decade. It is just we only really use the term years) and there is nothing really wrong with the fact we start on zero as a cultural and end on 9 as a cultural convention. It only matter when being strictly mathematical about it - such as when trying to explain why Massengo and not Kean is seen the first person born this Millennium/this century/last decade to play Champions League football! 

Totally with @downendcity too. In practice it would have been shit to have to sit around an extra year and celebrate the Millennium on the mathematically correct date when the change from 99 to 00 feels the much bigger deal.

13 hours ago, TBW said:

Shit. I thought 21st century started on 1st January 2000 not 2001! Who decides these things?!

Kean was the first of the millennium then...

Screenshot_20190809-174800_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just simple counting.

People just don’t understand, it’s the same principle for millenniums as centuries but hey ho, people would rather believe the ‘story’ rather than the simple truth.

I think this kid could provide the energy and drive we need. Often passing is slow and predictable and we don't play through the lines. It's often played around the back left to right and then lumped up to fam.

this guy looks like he will pass, move for space to receive, pass again etc and provide that added impetus we haven't had before that gets the crowd and the team going. I'm quite excited to see how our performances change with him and Nagy.

nagy also provides energy and technical quality. The pair of them will really boost our midfield quality and provide a better link between defence and attack rather than hitting it long and bypassing midfield every time.

13 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

We all got that one wrong! The Millennium technically started on 1st Jan 2001 too!

It's also the reason the 60th minute starts when the clock says 59... and we all clap at the wrong point to commemorate a fellow red

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. But 01/01/2000 was neither the first day of a new millennium nor the first day of a new decade.

You are right that we talk about decades in terms of the number they start with - the 70s, 80s, 90s etc but a decade actually runs until the year that starts with a zero.

I do get that this is massively counter-intuitive and it is hard work to get your head around. Best way I can explain it is simply to think what happens when you count to ten. You don’t start with 0 and then go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, which is ten numbers. You skip zero and start on 1.

Similarly “Year Zero” never happened. The year after 1 BC was 1 AD so you start counting decades from January 1st 0001. Then the tenth year - so first decade - ends  on December 31st 0010. And then you count ten more and on and on. So a decade ends after each year which is a multiple of ten.

This is commonly misunderstood - so much so that we celebrated the Millennium a year early when 1999 became 2000 even though - given we had started the first millennium on January 1st 0001 because there was no year zero - the first millennium ended on December 31st 1000 and the second one began on January 1st 1001 so actually ended on December 31st 2000.

Ps. For anyone wondering, Yes, I am indeed unbelievably good fun at parties!

Every day is a school day, as they say. What a way to start my Saturday. 

17 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

This is possibly the most exciting signing weve made since cole,, it wound be interestimg to watch him in training to see how he compares to the others. Any update re fee? We’ve obviously seen 8 million euros, but also less, 3 million pounds quoted.

Skuse? 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Absolutely. I should have clarified that on both points. Any set of ten years can be called indeed a decade (in fact I did not know this until last week but ten of anything can be called a decade. It is just we only really use the term years) and there is nothing really wrong with the fact we start on zero as a cultural and end on 9 as a cultural convention. It only matter when being strictly mathematical about it - such as when trying to explain why Massengo and not Kean is seen the first person born this Millennium/this century/last decade to play Champions League football! 

Totally with @downendcity too. In practice it would have been shit to have to sit around an extra year and celebrate the Millennium on the mathematically correct date when the change from 99 to 00 feels the much bigger deal.

If you had waited you would have missed some seriously good parties.

18 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Forgive me starting another page about our exciting new French recruit, but there's so much to wade through on his signing thread, it's taking me forever to sift through it.

Basically, I want to try to better understand who he is and what he is going to bring to City.

Can anyone share any knowledge / details you may have learnt about him and the expectation of his future prospects.

Also, just what the hell is his preferred midfield position, defensive or attacking?   Will he be used in a 3 with Josh and Nagy?

You may have seen it before but this was his 20 minute debut aged 17 which illustrates the type of player he is.

Apparently you get the same from him every game - give go, give go, etc.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

Just simple counting.

People just don’t understand, it’s the same principle for millenniums as centuries but hey ho, people would rather believe the ‘story’ rather than the simple truth.

Alright there, Newton. 

Archived