IGNORED

Taylor Moore - is he good enough to start?

pigeon

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this, is Taylor Moore capable of filling Websters shoes?

No doubt he'll have in the back of his mind who he is replacing and I feel like he has the playing style to match Webby:

1. If there is space in front of him then he's happy to burst through, as he did a few times last weekend, which is very Webster-esque.
  2. Although we lost 3-1, I don't recall him being singularly at fault for any of the goals (correct me if i'm wrong!). 
  3. No doubt he has grown (both upwards and outwards) which makes him far more suitable for this level than when he first turned up looking like he was ready for his first day of school!
  4. Both have blonde hair, I rest my case. 

I'm keen to see what he can do over the next few games and I hope LJ will give him a chance rather than chucking Baker in straight away. 

Ask again after a month.

I saw Webster play two games last season and then moved out of Bristol for the rest of the season and thought he was utter shite. Apparently he wasn't, I just wasn't there to see it and then he's worth £20m.

For me, Moore gave a better account of himself against a good Leeds side than Webster did on day one a year ago.

But it could go either way...

What I find most interesting is he's forced himself ahead of Vyner.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If Moore impresses from the bench, he will get his chances to start with injuries, suspensions, etc.

Centre backs don't often get chances off the bench as they're not exactly game-changing, impact players... and looks like he's already getting his chance to start anyway.

6 minutes ago, TBW said:

Ask again after a month.

I saw Webster play two games last season and then moved out of Bristol for the rest of the season and thought he was utter shite. Apparently he wasn't, I just wasn't there to see it and then he's worth £20m.

For me, Moore gave a better account of himself against a good Leeds side than Webster did on day one a year ago.

But it could go either way...

What I find most interesting is he's forced himself ahead of Vyner.

I'm the same as you TBW, when I first saw him playing last season I was thinking that we'd picked up a below average Championship CB and how very wrong I was. 

That's why i'm kind of excited by Moore because, as you said, he didn't do badly at all against Leeds and that was probably one of the most difficult games he'll play in this season! 

So strange that we had 6 capable centre backs last season and now we only have 4. Baker is one and he can't be trusted to be fit. Wright is injured a fair bit too.

Have we got another Lloyd Kelly coming through i wonder. Burford is apparently highly rated. Could easily have 2 injuries there and we'd have to rely on a kid.

Unless others can play there. Pereira maybe.

I think he got bullied by Bamford. Moore battled well to his credit, however he was at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goal. 

There is obvious potential, but our success last season was built on a solid defence. Webster and Kalas of course were a superb partnership and central to that.

With the amount of senior pro's that have left over the transfer window and all the new players, especially from aboard needing to settle in. I would go with experience until the team have gelled. 

After conceding 8 goals in 2 home games, I think we need some solid Championship experience back there. Wright or Baker for me.

Forget the comparisons to Webster; it illuminates nothing and helps nobody. Webster was quite exceptional at this level last season, but gone is gone. You'd have a hard time finding another one as good in that position outside of the PL and tasking Moore with the job of stepping straight in as a direct replacement just hangs a millstone round the lad's neck .

Moore should be judged on his own merits - or lack of them, as the case may be. He has had his share of setbacks in his fledgling career, as documented in a the transcription of a recent interview with him that appeared on OTIB. (Sorry I can't provide a link. Others will have seen it and may be able to help with that if you're interested.) He needs experience at this level now and the only way he's going to get it is by playing regularly. His confidence has taken some knocks and he's shown commendable resilience in fighting back from one or two low points. He's spoken very openly and honestly about this. He will benefit enormously from a demonstration from LJ that he has faith in the player's ability, a process that began with his selection against Leeds. He did well enough in what was a difficult game, one in which far more experienced players struggled, and a lot of us were pleasantly surprised to see a markedly more robust Moore "getting stuck in". A  season scrapping it out in L1 appears to have done him some good.

LJ really needs to stick with him as far as possible now. Obviously, he won't be able to continue to select him if he's consistently poor, but the occasional shaky performance may have to be accepted if we're to get him to the best he can be, whatever that turns out to be. The potential is clearly there to see. If he can get a full Championship season under his belt, there are signs that although it's taken a long time, and there have been doubts along the way, he could go on to be a very good, ball-playing centre back. I really hope he will be cut a bit of slack by the moaners if he has a wobble. I'd love to see him succeed at this club.  

58 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this, is Taylor Moore capable of filling Websters shoes?

No doubt he'll have in the back of his mind who he is replacing and I feel like he has the playing style to match Webby:

1. If there is space in front of him then he's happy to burst through, as he did a few times last weekend, which is very Webster-esque.
  2. Although we lost 3-1, I don't recall him being singularly at fault for any of the goals (correct me if i'm wrong!). 
  3. No doubt he has grown (both upwards and outwards) which makes him far more suitable for this level than when he first turned up looking like he was ready for his first day of school!
  4. Both have blonde hair, I rest my case. 

I'm keen to see what he can do over the next few games and I hope LJ will give him a chance rather than chucking Baker in straight away. 

Yes

22 minutes ago, CraigBCFC10 said:

I think he got bullied by Bamford. Moore battled well to his credit, however he was at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goal. 

There is obvious potential, but our success last season was built on a solid defence. Webster and Kalas of course were a superb partnership and central to that.

With the amount of senior pro's that have left over the transfer window and all the new players, especially from aboard needing to settle in. I would go with experience until the team have gelled. 

After conceding 8 goals in 2 home games, I think we need some solid Championship experience back there. Wright or Baker for me.

The midfield were at fault for the 2nd and third for not doing defensive work,

that left him exposed for the second and for not doing any creative or attacking work that left him trying to do it himself for the third

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

that left him exposed for the second and for not doing any creative or attacking work that left him trying to do it himself for the third

Agree with that.

Moore is a very good footballer, not a lot of pace but that isn't a big issue.

He needs some quality around him and that was severely lacking against Leeds with a few experienced pros gone missing.

Hopefully that is behind us now...

I think Taylor Moore is one of those players who will get better by playing more games. Looks like a confidence player to me, so with him playing there regularly I think it’ll do him good.

He seems a sensible lad and I hope he does well.

We need Baker's physicality, I've seen both Wright and Moore get bullied by forwards the last time they've played. Shows how much of a monster Kelly was and it's a shame we've lost the chance to see him develop as a CB. Hopefully Moore develops quickly but with this new side he could quickly have his confidence shattered .

Thought he did very well against Leeds and on the ball he was great. Barely gave possession away, burst forward a few times and passed accurately. The only time I remember him giving the ball away was when he tried a through ball that was intercepted in their penalty area and they broke to score, hardly Moore's fault at all.

Question mark re the second goal though for sure.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

So strange that we had 6 capable centre backs last season and now we only have 4. Baker is one and he can't be trusted to be fit. Wright is injured a fair bit too.

Have we got another Lloyd Kelly coming through i wonder. Burford is apparently highly rated. Could easily have 2 injuries there and we'd have to rely on a kid.

Unless others can play there. Pereira maybe.

LJ said  "Trust me"...............When Webster was sold, we all thought that there would be a back up plan, raither like when Flint was sold.  But No there was no back up plan?   So have to say considering we raised 20 mill on AW, I am very disappointed that we have not recruited an experienced centre back.  That is no reflection on Taylor Moore, who i believe is quality.........but its asking alot of him to replace such an outstanding defender.  I guess will have to wait and see? 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

When you consider two of our most attacking runs in the game were from Kalas and Moore that shows just how bad our midfield was. 

Harsh to judge any defenders on that performance as by all accounts you'd say they were poor, but then when you have the entire Leeds side coming at you as what was in front of you may as well not have been there. 

If Moore struggles against Brum then we might start to get a bit concerned, but very harsh to judge him at all on that game really. 

Archived