IGNORED

Genuine Left Back Cover

The Original OTIB

It would seem that Rowe is cover for that position (and a few others). We are quite short on lefties though. Baker wouldn't work too well, I don't think. Callum might but would probably sulk about it. Maybe there weren't many out there on the market (good enough, good value, wanted to come here). Perhaps a free agent is available. It could be our weak spot if Jay gets a long term injury.

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

It does seem odd that we're gambling on Rowe to bit part that role if need be.

I liked what I saw of Rowe in pre-season. Admittedly that wasn't much, mainly the 'first' Derby game. But he looked like a leader, fit as a fiddle, I think he'll do well in that "Older pro who can support as needed" role.

Olsson is a good shout, although a quick google throws up some Sunderland links.

Holden who also went to Walsall for a season loan has a January recall so I'd expect the same clause to be in the Cam Pring loan deal.

Can't really understand why he was loaned out as he looks a classy player and we need left back cover.  Would have added height to the defence when needed and interchanged with Desilva just as Lloyd Kelly did last year.  Good in the air and gets forward dangerously.  Has a bit of class about him and aged 21 now so it's an odd one that he wasn't kept here.

Scroll down for his efforts for Walsall last week on BT's twitter :-

https://twitter.com/tinnion_brian

53 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Don't we need a genuine left back first?  I've never seen JD mark anyone, stop crosses coming in, make a tackle or win any header in a defending situation.

I agree. Whilst JD is a decent footballer I don't see him as a genuine left back. More effective offensively - so we need a left back! 

That mistake from O'Dowda was awful against Leeds. So needs to learn, but has usually looked very capable in his defensive duties.

Rowe got bit of experience there but no pace. I'm concerned a bit about injuries in left back or centre back positions.

Soady was academy player of the year. Had Mendez-Laing in his back pocket in a 23s game. Maybe he will be given a go if Dasilva is out.

11 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Very concerned about rowe and bailey wright for diffrent reasons rowe  dont know what to expect from him know exactly what to expect from wright

I think Rowe as a wing back will be fine, like you BW in a 3 is a worry in fact BW in any formation is a worry

3 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

So, are people still concerned about the prospect of Rowe as cover for JD? 

The goal came from a cross from the left where Baker was the closest player but couldn't commit and stood off because Rowe was out of position - so for me yes.

looks good going forward but not so great positionally.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

The goal came from a cross from the left where Baker was the closest player but couldn't commit and stood off because Rowe was out of position - so for me yes.

looks good going forward but not so great positionally.

That’s a bit unfair....it was from a free-kick that got headed up onto the air and Baker unsure where it had gone.  We weren’t lined up in standard formation so to expect Rowe to be at traditional LB to closedown the player the ball fell to is unfair.

Archived